Deer hunting in your state

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by wow6599, Sep 7, 2010.

1. wow6599

wow6599 Guest

I've been sitting here thinking about how Missouri's deer hunting (firearms portion) rules are to laid back. I don't agree with some of it, like the fact that you can LEGALLY hunt deer with any centerfire  pistol, or an atlatl. An Atlatl? ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48xGVuzYJsY&feature=related[/ame])
    So, how are your state's deer hunting regulations?  

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/regulations/deer-regulations/2010-firearms-deer-hunting

Methods allowed during all portions of the firearms deer season, except the muzzleloader portion.

* centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets. Legal ammunition includes lead bullets, copper bullets and bullets made of other material designed to expand.
       * shotgun (including .410) with slugs only
       * air-powered gun, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor)
       * a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearm .40 caliber or larger and capable of firing only a single projectile at one discharge; in-lines and scopes are allowed
       * multiple-barreled muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms and/or muzzleloading or cap-and-ball handguns, including revolvers, .40 caliber or larger are allowed and may be carried in addition to a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball rifle
       * a longbow, compound bow or recurve bow of any draw weight; hand-held string releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes and quickpoint sights are allowed
       * crossbow
       * atlatl, which is defined as a rod or narrow board-like device used to launch, through a throwing motion of the arm, a dart 5 to 8 feet in length.

2. Jdeere562

Jdeere562 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    I mainly have a problem with the Atlatl. That makes no sense.

The other was centerfire handgun. That would include .25 Cal? I'm your next door neighbor in Iowa, we have a .357 mag minimum. :-/

3. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I happen do be a decendent of people who used spears to for hunting. I gotta tell you, when the atlatl came out that was a real improvement.
    But really, have any of you used an Atlatl? The performance increas in very impressive. The effective ethical range is probably 5 or 10 yards, so the only ones who would use it and have any chance of hurting a deer are those who hunt alot, and are very good at it. The argument against using one is that it will injure critters and that is un-ethical, but how many animals does this represent? Remember, the atlatl user is not the tree-hugger who hates guns, it is the guy for whom bow hunting is no longer a chalange.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Atlatl? I'd like to see the deer, within close enough range, that stands still while the hunter readies, draws back his throwing arm, releases the dart, and the dart hits the deer.  I bet nearly zero are taken that way.  :-/

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    That's my point. They used to have a thing called deer-slapping. If you were good enough to stalk a deer close enough to slap it, and had your famly feed well enough that you did not need the deer, it was considered high priase 'round the campfire. I don't think you have to worry about clowns maiming deer with atlatl's, only a trully fine hunter would have a chance, and lets hope that hunter has ethics along with his/her skills.

6. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
  7. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Kansas ;

8. rachm1986

rachm1986 New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I live in MO too.  I don't have a problem with the regulations.  We definately have plenty of deer here.  Dept. of Conservation does a great job keeping the hunting season in check and monitoring the number of deer taken.  Deer have an even bigger advantage now with the antler restriction.

9. gremlinmt

gremlinmt New Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I've had a chance to try on of those Atlatls. They can be very effective in the right hands. A friend of mine went round and round with the local FWP to try and get them approved for use during bow hunting season. Once rifle season starts the deer are so much more skittish and it's no longer safe to use camouflage, it makes an atlatl hunt a non-starter.

10. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    Wisconsin:

Shotguns:
    • Must have an overall 26” minimum length with 18” minimum barrel length.
    • Rifled shotgun barrels of at least 18” in length are considered to be shotguns for
    the purpose of hunting deer if they fire a single projectile and are in the following
    gauges: 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28.
    • It is illegal to hunt deer with a .410 bore shotgun.
    Rifles:
    • Must have an overall 26” minimum length with 16” minimum barrel length.
    • Are legal for hunting deer in areas not restricted to shotguns, muzzleloaders and
    handguns only as indicated by the maps on page 19.
    • It is illegal to possess any rimfire rifle larger than .22 caliber or any center-fire rifle
    .22 caliber or larger during any gun deer season in shotgun only areas unless it is
    unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. Note: Rifled barreled shotguns and
    muzzleloaders are not considered rifles for purpose of hunting deer.
    • It is illegal to hunt deer with any air rifle, rimfire rifle, or any center-fire rifle less
    than .22 caliber.
    Muzzleloaders
    • Muzzleloaders that are discharged from the shoulder must be at least .45 caliber
    if smoothbore and .40 caliber or larger if rifled barrel, and must be loaded with a
    single ball or slug to be legal for deer hunting. During the 10-day muzzleloader
    only season (Nov. 29–Dec. 8), muzzleloaders must have a solid threaded breech
    plug, only be able to be loaded from the muzzle. Telescopic sights are legal to use on
    muzzleloaders during any firearm deer season, except the 10 day muzzleloader only
    season. Note: Inline muzzleloaders are legal to use during the 10-day muzzleloader
    hunt with black powder or any black powder substitutes.
    • Muzzleloaders may be used statewide in all areas open to hunting deer with guns.
    • Muzzleloading handguns must be .44 caliber and larger with a minimum barrel
    length of 7 inches measured from muzzle to breech face, and fire a single projectile
    weighing 138 grains or more to be legal for deer hunting.
    • Black powder revolvers are legal but not for hunting deer during the 10-day
    muzzleloader only season (because they are capable of being loaded by the cylinder
    instead of the muzzle).
    Handguns:
    • To be legal for deer, handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or
    larger and have a 5½ inch minimum barrel, measured from the firing pin to the
    muzzle with the action closed.
    • You may not possess a concealed handgun.
    Bows, arrows, and crossbows:
    • Bows must have a draw weight of 30 pounds or greater and metal broadheads must
    be at least 7/8 inches wide and kept sharp to hunt deer.
    • Crossbows are only allowed for hunters 65 years of age or older and any disabled
    hunters with a Class A, C, B Crossbow, or crossbow permit. The crossbow must
    have a minimum draw of 100 pounds, a working safety, and use at least 14-inch
    long bolts or arrows equipped with broadheads (requires an Archery License).
    • Compound bows equipped with a drawlock mechanism that is capable of holding
    the bow at full draw without the aid of a hunter are considered crossbows. These
    are exempt from the 100 pound requirement but must meet the 30 pound minimum
    draw weight.
    • You may not possess, while hunting, any poison, drug or explosive tipped arrow.