Deep concealed carry holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by eduk8tor, Feb 11, 2008.

1. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I've been reading a lot of posts about different CCW holsters for the P-3AT, for me I need a holster that will COMPLETELY conceal my P-3AT and hopefully have no or very little patterning. I've done a lot of research on the SmartCarry holster and it looks like it would do the job and would allow me to also carry an extra magazine. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this holster and would be willing to comment on it. Thanks for your comments.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If I am out of bed (and not in the shower) my smartcarry is on me.  Sometimes I am using other holsters as well but I always have my smartcarry in case I need to go to absolute concealability while still having very good access.  I could not recommend it more and truly think that every CCWer ought to have one.  

On top of that Charlie is TOP NOTCH people to deal with.  You won't go wrong with it.

Only caveat - let him know if you might get a laser later.  XS is the right size for a P3AT but S works as well AND you can get a P40 or a Glock 26/27 in the small too.  My first smartcarry was a XS and now I wear a S all the time and the XS just sits. In fact, a S will completely conceal your P3AT even with the tightest of pants where an XS still lets a fair amount of the grip stick out so if you ever worry about tight clothes and people looking at your crotch...

-Scott

3. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    SmartCarry is great at concealment, but is difficult to draw from when in a seated position. If you spend a lot of your day sitting down, as many do, ankle carry may be a better choice. Jeans hide very well, dress pants less so. The lightweight elastic band type ankle holsters hide better than leather, or other types that don't hug the gun close to your calf. http://www.politesociety.com/ankle.htm

Here is my P3AT with Armalaser installed. I also carry a spare mag in the pocket just above the slide. I just didn't think to put it in for this picture...
    [​IMG]

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Respectfully have to disagree with ya wheelguy about the ankle carry being a good choice.  I can get to my smartcarry faster than I can my ankle while sitting at my desk and I have dunlops disease.  

Plus the ankle carry does not meet the original requirements of absolute concealment as mine has been known to show while sitting down and crossing my legs, going up steps, getting in and out of cars, etc. Not to mention the "fall out" that we have heard others talk about in ankle carry - though admittedly I have not had that problem.  

-Scott

5. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Ankle carry is great for a BUG, but your primary carry should be considerably more accessible.  Either go with your gut and go with the Smartcarry, OR go with the majority, and go with pocket carry (in a pocket holster, of course).

-Matt

ETA:
    BTW, I'm guessing by your handle that we have something in common. PM me.

6. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

Although I pocket carry the majority of the time, belt clip carry some of the time, if I want to be sure I am totally concealed its the Smart Carry I use. I tend to agree with Adamsesq on this one. My P3AT also has an Armalaser.

7. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks for the information :), if you have a grip extender, does it increase the print, understanding you're not wearing tight pants?

-Bruce

8. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    As fate would have it, just today I got in my new SmartCarry XSL for my ArmaLaser equipped P3AT. I bought it for deep cover in light clothing where my Nemesis pocket holster prints too much. I got it in white for the same reason - light clothing in warm weather. Of course, it can be worn anytime.

For what's worth...

[​IMG]

9. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Smartcarry here too. Med size as I use for P11 and or P3 (P3 fits perfect in med's mag pouch as a BUG)

Not noticable w/ P3AT. Yes w/ my P11 in tight jeans , so I wear w/ loser fitting jeans.

And before Scott ask 'what's a P11' (That includes P.40 or P.357Sig s too) ;D

10. Lots and lots of options ed...

I have the smart carry and can easily deep conceal a G27 with spare high cap mag.

But with jeans, an IWB and untucked shirt is great.
    [​IMG]

But my fav for the P3at is my 5:11 shirt.

Many times I will have the 3AT in the shirt and the G27 in the smart carry.

My 5:11 video:

[​IMG]

11. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks again for all the replies, I just ordered the SmartCarry, I also have an Uncle Mikes IWB that I use with my P3AT and for years have used with my other autos. This is a great forum, thanks again.

12. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Gents,

Have any of you ever used a Smart Carry for a pistol the size of a Colt Light Weight Officer's ACP? I'm interested in getting one for my P3AT, but also like to carry my Colt, Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Med. should work Doc (your talking 4" right?) Just use a safety pin for the P3AT. Or just ask Charlie when you order. I use mine for up to 4" autos and pin it for the P3.

14. YIKES!   :eek:

Some how it seems odd to me that I am OK with a .40 Cal Glock stuck so close to my boys, but the idea of a safety pin .....YIKES!  ;D

15. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

YIKES!   :eek:

Some how it seems odd to me that I am OK with a .40 Cal Glock stuck so close to my boys, but the idea of a safety pin .....YIKES!  ;D[/quote]

Unlike a glock that will not go off without pressing the trigger, safety pins have very much been known to self-open!

-Scott (who believes it is more important to holster that safety pin than to safety pin that holster)

16. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Here's what I don't like about the SmartCarry.

Note: I haven't actually tried the SmartCarry with my P-3AT, just with a slightly larger 9mm. But I think it's going to be the same even with the P3AT.

I spend a fair amount of time in the car. Not only is the SmartCarry very difficult to access in the car, worse, it rides below the seat belt.

Since I'm much more likely to be in a car wreck than to have to use the firearm, this is an unacceptable situation. I don't want to be in a car wreck and have my firearm slammed into my abdomen by the seat belt. For this reason, I've largely given up on the SmartCarry. Otherwise, it would be a good idea.

Not that pocket carry doesn't have a possible drawback or two as well. With pocket carry, there's no seat belt concern, and it's more accessible while seated in the car. Still not perfect, but better. However, with pocket carry, my concern is as follows:

Most robberies don't end with anyone getting harmed. I would like to have the option of just handing over the money and not having to engage in armed conflict. Pocket carry makes this more difficult. You're not likely to be robbed of what's in your SmartCarry, but a robber may very well want you to empty your front pockets. If that happens, what then? Do I hand over my firearm if I think the robber isn't going to shoot me if I cooperate? Or do I engage the robber?

Hmm, I may make a separate thread of this.

17. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I guess it may just be different peoples takes on CCW'ing but here is my take on this. To me this is pretty much the point of CCW. Regardless of how "most robberies" (do we have stats to prove this?) end up, how do you know that you will not be harmed AFTER you give up your money or car keys etc? Thats a risky proposition to bet the odds on! At the end of the handover of your wallet or whatever, are you going to have enough time to then draw your weapon and fire in defense if the second the robber gets your money he pulls the trigger of the gun already pointed at you?

For me to even consider an attempt at a robbery to be serious there will have to be a show of force of somekind. A weapon of some sort, or at the minimum the act of a weapon (think hand in pocket pretending to be a gun), will be required before I were to react by giving my wallet or whatever up. If the situation had escalated that far then I would have to realisticly consider this a threat to my life regardless of all the "possible" outcomes. At that point I would have to react in defense of my life.

Again this is just my take on things..

18. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    If you were born before 1965 your mother stuck a safety pin into a diaper near your "boys" several times a day!!!!

19. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Palehorse Leathers has a "Down Under" that you might find interesting. I don't have this rig, but have picked up three holsters from R.L. Graham (two from fellow KTOGers and one from his "In Stock" supply). They're really fine holsters.

http://www.palehorseholsters.com/do3.jpg

Also, he has a muzzle up neck rig.

Regards,
    Lynnsky