Decent Ammo/Decent Price

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DRSCOOTER, Feb 29, 2008.

1. DRSCOOTER

DRSCOOTER New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Decent Ammo (?) At A Decent Price

Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone is interested. I was looking to purchase some 380 ammo which as yet I had not needed before. About the cheapest I was seeing was a bit over $11 so I was pleasantly surprised to find Centerfire Systems had Sellier & Bellot in 380 FMJ 50RDS 92GR for $8.99 about $2.50 cheaper than any one else. I've used S&B 9MM before and it's decent stuff--do what you will-- :cool:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=157

2. DRSCOOTER

DRSCOOTER New Member

Jan 23, 2008

3. ttorion

ttorion New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Do they have it in stock? I tried to order some .223 ammo from them a while ago and after not hearing from them for a week after my order I called and found it was on backorder. Their website doesn't indicate if it's in stock or not.

The best deal I've found, and I think it's been mentioned here before, is from Widener's, $7.85 a box for Blazer. They do have it in stock.

4. DRSCOOTER

DRSCOOTER New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks (sorry for double post--it was loading so slow I thought it just got lost) I've used the non-brass CCI in 9mm in more of a range gun. I don't have much experience with these smaller pocket rockets yet. I had just assumed that the smaller gun was not going to be too pleasant to shoot and I would be more shooting to become "used to" the gun as opposed to target practice. That said the aluminum 9mm seemed okay even if brass seems like a more real bullet, I'm open to thoughts and opinions I'm a bit of a novice. :eek:

5. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I'd swear that I have read somewhere that you should avoid all non-brass ammo for P3ATs. It may be on this site someplace. Anyway, for me it's definitely not worth saving a couple of bucks to wind up with unreliably functioning ammo. Blazers and such may shoot OK in some guns but I'm not trying them in my P3AT. Anyone out there have experience with non-brass ammo in P3ATs?

6. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I have used non-brass in my 9mm, worked fine. I have not used any in p3at.. CCI has brass Blazer for 380 ;)

7. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I have shot 100s of rounds of Blazer aluminum through my 2G P3-AT without a single problem. It has become my standard range ammo due mainly to its lower price. It functions perfectly, is quite accurate, and comfortable to shoot.

Bobo

8. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I checked out the link and it says brass cased.. but remember I dont know anything about this stuff..

Dana

9. Rex_B

Rex_B New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    I ordered 10 boxes of the centerfire stuff.
    Also a good deal on 22 WMR at $6.25/50

10. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I ordered 5 boxes of the aluminum CCI. Thanks for the link. I've heard something about not using the aluminum cases in P3AT's also, but I just went to the KT web and downloaded the P3AT manual and it didn't say anything about it. I'll let you guys know how it shoots!

11. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    Blazer used to be only aluminum. Recently they came out with brass also. I personally haven't tried it, but I would think it would be just as good if not better than the aluminum.

Bobo

12. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Blazer used to be only aluminum. Recently they came out with brass also. I personally haven't tried it, but I would think it would be just as good if not better than the aluminum.

Bobo
    [/quote]

Thanks Bobo, udaman.

Dana

13. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Some ranges have a "brass only" policy even though it can be tough to enforce.

Some people may be thinking of this article at this link in regard to problems with aluminum cased ammo.
    GunWeek.com -- Test Report on Compact Kel-Tec .32, .380ACP and 9mm Handguns
    "There were warnings from the manufacturer not to use steel cased or aluminum case or +P ammunition."
    "However, there were a few problems that were ammunition related. Aluminum-cased ammunition will not feed and function reliably in this pistol. Some chambered, some did not, and the extractor design may not be compatible with aluminum cases. These cartridges cannot be used in the Kel-Tec."
    "In short, we experienced several problems with .380 ACP cartridges but none with the pistol."

Whether or not these problems were specifically caused by the aluminum case some people may want to debate.

14. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    It could be possible and probably likely that a P3-AT that had a dirty and/or rough chamber or hood, and/or was not broken in sufficiently may contribute to an aluminum or steel case "sticking".

When I started using Blazer aluminum my gun was well broken in and I always keep it clean. But even during a range session shooting 100 or so rounds the Blazer aluminum still functions perfectly even with the accumulated dirt.

I have never tried steel-cased ammo because I'm afraid it would wear the extractor to quickly.

Just my personal experience and opinion...
    Bobo

15. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I ordered 10 boxes.. I figure that I will go through all of them when I take defensive gun training.

16. DRSCOOTER

DRSCOOTER New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    The aluminum would probably be fine, as I said, I've used it alot in 9mm with my CZ. On the other hand what do I know but the CZ is a range gun and I put alot of rounds through it so cheaper can be a bit more consideration. I won't mention anything about the Ruger  ::) but I probably won't really be practicing like my PCR so I paid the extra $1.15 for the brass and in this case it's S&B not CCI and I think as I started out decent ammo (S&B) and decent price so I ordered 10 boxes. Not that I have any problem with CCI I've used both aluminum and their brass and had good results with both in 9mm. However silly it might be, brass just feels like a "more" real bullet to me when I hold it and since I'm getting it for a new gun that was my choice in this case. I just pointed it out as most 380 ammo I saw was priced over $10 seemingly $11 was the norm so I just thought I'd pass on someone selling it for about nine bucks.   :cool:

17. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Unless some steel slipped through unnoticed, I've only ever used brass or aluminum casings in everything I've shot before and I've never had the sticktion problem.

From everything I've read it's mostly steel that has the sticktion problem due to lacquered casings and the lacquer transferring to the chamber and building up under the heat and pressure. I've never experienced it myself.

18. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks doubloon!  That's exactly the article that I had read about aluminum cased ammo that said "These cartridges cannot be used in the Kel-Tec".  I was sure that I had seen it somewhere but, at the age of 71, at times I don't trust my recall.  :)

19. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yea, I'll have to see how it shoots. I'll post when I get the ammo!

20. customizedcreation

customizedcreation New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks for the post. I just picked up a 232 Sig , and while I have a little bit of 380, I wouldnt mind picking up some boxes and at that price, that seems like a pretty good deal.