Dealer says to not use WWB - thoughts?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jdusc200, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jdusc200

jdusc200 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    I purchased a new Blue/Green SG P3AT last weekend at a local gun show. I plan to take it to the range next week and eventually carry it on days when my little Seecamp is just too heavy (think wearing shorts and South Carolina heat).

As I finished the transaction, the dealer said something to the effect of "Be sure to not use that white box ammo from Wal-Mart in it. It will jam constantly and a lot of people bring them back because of problems that ammo causes.."

I've been using WWB as range ammo for years, and in any decent gun it will usually feed quite well. As carry ammo is rather expensive, I'd like to use mostly WWB to "break in" the little guy. I've read several other forum posts stating this stuff is fine to use for practice, but wanted to make sure thats still the case before my range trip (possibly tomorrow). Thanks in advance guys for any opinions on this topic. -- JD

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Seems the opposite is true...most in here recommend WWB for target practice. I use it, too. No troubles.

Rick

3. Welcome to KTOG JD.... you are in the right spot for help with your 3at.

Concerning WWB ........use it with full confidence.  I have at least 800 rounds of white box down range through 3 2nd Gen 3AT's.

All I can think of is your dealer was mis-informed...or he does not sell Winchester!

The only ammo that is a DO NOT USE is steel cased ammo such as Wolf.

You may want to read the VIP (Very Important Post) page.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204773333

with particular attention to the third post... Technical – Preparation, maintenance and trouble solving .

Post us some pics and stay in touch with range reports!

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I seem to recall a lot of 1st. gen guns had problems with the WWB truncated cone bullets.
    Some guns didn't like them atall.

That's probably where the dealer got burned on it.
    But that was then, and this is now.

Only 100% sure way to find out is try them in your gun and see.

rcmodel

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    WWB was problematic in some 1st gen guns, even the old round-nosed stuff.  It was common advice here to tell people not to waste their time with it, so your dealers advice was good but a couple of years outdated.  The 2nd gen extractor must do a better job with it as no one seems to have that complaint anymore.  Like rc said, try some.  I'd be surprised if it didn't work fine.  

6. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I had trouble w/ Winchester Clean 95gr flat nose not feeding well but regular WWB FMJ work fine.

7. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    My 1st gen has been gobbling it up for almost 5 years now. I wouldn't even hesitate to use it in a new one. :)

8. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My dad's got a new P3AT thats a little over a month old, and Ive got one that was bought on 7/22, both blued/green. His has over 200 rounds without a hiccup since he bought it. We bought two boxes of WWB today and shot one box each through our P3AT's, along with a 20 round box each of our carry ammo - Speer Gold Dot. We didnt have a single hiccup with the WWB or Speer GD.

I detail stripped his P3AT and thoroughly cleaned it today, lightly polished the sides of the trigger bar, inspected, very lightly lubed it with CLP and a q-tip, and reassembled. Love the P3AT!

9. jdusc200

jdusc200 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Awesome info folks, thank you all for your replies. I'm especially glad to hear from someone with as recent a purchase as mine that the WWB ammo is reliable enough to practice with. I also purchased and installed the grip extender so that should help with the one-handed shooting (can't say the same for my Seecamp haha).

Will post a range report after my trip tomorrow.

JD

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG

I can't beleive no one has provided you with the P3AT mantra.....

Clean...Lube...Shoot, repeat

besure to clean and lube BEFORE you go shooting.

If you have not read the detail instructions concerning lube, in brief, put a dab of grease on the hammer face, the slide rails, and the barrel lug/assemble pin

11. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Had an ammo "genius" at a gun show, tell me that Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammo, in .40 S&W, was only available to Class 2 dealers.

The pawn shops in my town all carry it,...

Remember their "dealers", right up there with used car salesman, sometimes straight up, sometimes not.

My P3AT AND Walther PPK/S, both have shot WWB, in .380 flawlessly. I doubt you will have any issues.

Good Shooting.

12. Troubleshooter2

Troubleshooter2 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Works well in mine, I also have the Green/Blue, I don't keep track of the count but have run plenty of through it. I had some feed issues early on but it's running fine now.

I actually had the dealer at the gun show I bought it from sell me a box of Brown Bear. I put 3 rounds through it and that was it. Never again will I use steel cased ammo in my p3at.

My wife has a new Blue/ HC we ran about 70 rounds of WWB through at the National meet with no issues whatsoever.

13. vicknews

vicknews New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I use WWB all the time in a variety of firearms, P3AT included, with no problems.

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Goodbye ScottD. ::)

15. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Have had zero problems shooting WWB. Not in my older J2Rxx and not in my newer JPMxx.

Take care...

16. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I have used it for at least 3 years and have never had a problem--misfeed or anything. I like it and it is priced right.

Bo Bryant

17. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007
    +1 ;)

18. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Goodbye ScottD.  ::)[/quote]

Wow, seriously?  Man, he only made it four posts this time.  How things have changed - nice TxCajun.  ;D

I almost feel sorry for him. :p

19. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I have used WWB since day one and have never had a problem, I think the Remington are a bit cleaner though. Never had trouble with them either.

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My 2G P3AT had issues with WWB when it was very young. After 500 rounds of other ammo, the WWB feeds as reliably as the rest. My only beef with WWB is that it is very dirty. But I can live with that.