Dang you guys!  I finally caved...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by engineer88, Aug 29, 2008.

1. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    All you fluff and buffers out there singing the praises all this time. I just refused to jump on the wagon. But after over 450 downrange I realized that I have had 4 failure to eject (mind you I shot 420+ of those rounds one hand only including 10% or so left handed. One hand hold just feels right, what can I say?) and decided that 99% was not good enough. ::)

So I finally caved and did it, and boy am I glad. It is actually easier to rack the slide and chamber a round now. Have yet to shoot it, but I am sure a slicker action can only mean a better percentage.

Part of the reason I didn't do it earlier to be honest was that I wanted to prove that a crappy base black and blued model out of the box was reliable. Well, I feel like I did that. 99.1% reliable out of the box for ANY pocket auto is pretty phenomenal if you ask me.

Now my goal is to get it up to the 99.5% or better range. Why? I dunno, just because! :p

2. hiredgun

hiredgun New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Re: Dang you guys!  I finally caved...

I'm a big believer in F/B. I've been doing it on any new KTs I get, and even some I've been shooting for a while that act up now and again. You're right - it is amazing what a difference it makes. Doesn't take long to do either.

3. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

I've got to where I polish the feed ramp & chamber on ALL my semi-autos. I'm working thru the rifles now.

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Good on you! 'Bowt time! ;) I think the failures were due to your soft-like-the-ladies-9mm-shooting-hands. :D

Seriously, you'll be glad you did.

P.S. Posted at 0100! You better not have my niece up at that hour! :p

5. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008

Engineer

It's always about the numbers with you guys, isn't it?

Happy Shooting, and Happy calculating

CK

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

whatcha talking about.....

you know 99.5% is only sigma 4. :(

To achieve the desired sigma six realibility it would be 1 failure in 300,000 oppertunites :eek:

7. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008

whatcha talking about.....

you know 99.5% is only sigma 4.   :(

To achieve the desired sigma six realibility it would be 1 failure in 300,000 oppertunites :eek:[/quote]

Good one JFB

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. I have worked with engineers for 35 years.

I also make my living by measurements, measuring land, and while precision, error and accuracy are very important, some times historical notes and measurements that are far from correct, overrule a correct sigma 6.

I hope you and engineer get your Kel-Tec's up to 1 in 300,000, that would be great. I am going to go on the historical value on this one, and just Clean, Lube, and Shoot.

Have a good one
    CK

8. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007

You and your .45acp worship! I wanna say you're crocked, but after shooting the G36 I now want one in a big way. It is gonna have to wait for my 642 to be purchased first though. :cool:

The G19 is still my buddy and takes care of me until then. :p

P.S. Whatever, you know better then all that.

9. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    You know, I tracked the numbers because so many people out there with their "keltec is junk and I wouldn't own one of those POS toy pistols, etc." That stuff really ticked me off so I was hard set on keeping the numbers as a good scientific measurement of reliability. It has been fun to to see how well the little pistol has done. I really don't get people's beef with Keltec firearms. I love mine to pieces! It has kept me from being unarmed on many occasions due to size and sure does beat the pants off an NAA mini revolver or something like that in those situations.

I really enjoy shooting and carrying mine and will eventually buy a second to be my shot not so often and carried all the time pocket gun. I proudly post my round count and number of failures and even supply the percentage for folks to see in my signature on all of those forums that I have seen so much of the BS smack on. I want folks to have a true, objective source to make a decision to buy one or not. I love throwing it in all the haters face how reliable they are too. I know it burns their nuggets a bit! ;D

That being said my sig here does not reflect the round count cause I know all you guys know how good they are!

10. Re: Dang you guys!  I finally caved...

+10 on the Fluff and Buff.

Here is my Blue on Black 3AT carry piece... Properly lubed, fluffed and buffed, with a topped out mag chambering the 1st round.  No need to "sling shot"  or "bump".  I don't have the required 300,000 to qualify for the sigma 6, but this gun has had no failures since I got it to this point.  Guessing at least 300 rounds.

[​IMG]

As we in the deep south sometimes say - "It is slick as owl sh!t on a wet limb!"

Thanks to the Kel-Tec die hard fluff and buffers before me- [highlight]ALL[/highlight] of my guns have been polished at critical points.

11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

Just did my first f&b. It's a little to late to take it out and try it, but is sure racks smoother. I've only had 2 problems in the first 25 rounds (may have been me), since, no problems. Only a few hundred rounds thru the gun, but I'm a happy camper.
    P.S. for those 45 acp guys who say 'I shoot .45 'cuz they don't make a .46', they still make a .44 ;)

12. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008

P.S. for those 45 acp guys who say 'I shoot .45 'cuz they don't make a .46', they still make a .44 Wink

Oh but they do make a.46(0), shoots 3 different rounds without changing a thing, .45LC, .454 Casull, and the .460 S&W.

A little "big" for CC, but when dump trucks come in season, it works well. ;)
    [​IMG]

13. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

Yeah twy, I was waiting for that. :) That .44 pushes my 180 lb. butt around enough. The specs say the .454 is 3 times the .44. How do you manage that? yikes. :-?

14. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

P.S. in cooler weaher, my 44 in a bianchi x15 is really comfortable in many ways.

15. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008

"from enigineer88,"
    I really enjoy shooting and carrying mine and will eventually buy a second to be my shot not so often and carried all the time pocket gun. I proudly post my round count and number of failures and even supply the percentage for folks to see in my signature on all of those forums that I have seen so much of the BS smack on. I want folks to have a true, objective source to make a decision to buy one or not. I love throwing it in all the haters face how reliable they are too. I know it burns their nuggets a bit! Grin

Great summation an attitude I agree with completely. I "lurked" around here gathering that all important knowledge about the P3AT, and was very pleased to see a generous sharing from the pros. and Poobah's.

Other forums can and do belittle members that don't know as much, or ask a "question" they have been asked a thousand times, but not here, and for that I am thankful and it is appreciated. I enjoy my P3AT very much also, and have heard they multiply;"and will eventually buy a second". ::)

Thanks for the post and info.

lop, as far as the .460 S&W,.... I caved,.... :-/ ..... ;)

16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Sounds like you're a surveyor? What is MTS accuracy for closure (I know it's different for ALTA/ASCM). I'm a terrible hybrid as I am a civil engineer and my firm has a land surveying arm (mostly to support our engineering nowadays). :)

17. unocat33

unocat33 New Member

Aug 30, 2008

Is there a definitive thread on the F&B procedure? A friend of mine just bought a P3 and I am sure would like to do it. Also my other friend has a PF9 that could use it. I wouldn't mind doing it on my Kahr P9 either.

18. Re: Dang you guys!  I finally caved...

Here ya go!

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm