Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the peened slide problem happen to be accompanied by damage to the recoil spring guide rod? My one week old P3-AT is abusing the rim on the aft end of the guide rod.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the barrel, you will see a very sharp edge and a trail of metal.

File or sand a bevel on that sharp edge. Sand the barrel smooth and call KelTec for a new guide rod.

Packer.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
plus, mark the head of the rod where it fits to the barrel so that you can assemble the same way each time. Then it only wears in one place.

Even though you didn't ask, the head of the guide rod will dig a ditch in the aluminum frame. Sometimes it will get deep enough to make removing the slide difficult (need to whack slide with mallet

welcome to KTOG ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have several flat spots on the circumference of the head. Is that what you're talking about? It not obvious what it's wearing against and I don't find any sharp edge that would seem to wear or cut a flat spot. I've only put about 75 rounds through it.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  When the gun fires and the slide cycles, the barrel is dragged over the top of the guide rod. Sharp edges and roughness wear a flat spot on the guide rod. It needn't happen.

Kel-Tec USED to make the barrels like the one on the top.

If yours looks more like the bottom one, then you can bevel it yourself with a file.

Also note the rough barrel underside that can be smoothed with sandpaper.

Packer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The damage is just to the head of the rod. The end of it that sits in the recess in the chamber end of the barrel. I'll see if I can post a picture later today. The length of the rod is fine with just a little of the finish wearing off as would be expected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't see how the bottom of the barrel could ever rub the nail-head end of the guide rod. The head of the guide rod can't get out of the recess near the breach end of the barrel. FWIW, I polished the barrel along with the chamber and feed ramp before I had even put 10 rounds through the gun.

Replacing the guide rod won't solve the problem. It would just recur with a new one after 20 rounds.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
pauldub said:
...The head of the guide rod can't get out of the recess near the breach end of the barrel....
Are you SURE about that?

When you replace the slide/barrel/spring back on to the frame. the head of the guide rod makes contact with the recess in the FRAME (just in front of the trigger) when you continue to push the slide/barrel so that the assembly pin can be replaced, the guide rod now moves relative to the slide, but not the frame, thus the head of the rod slid inthe barrel recess.

Now, continue with the explaination Scott.... ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
pauldub said:
I can't see how the bottom of the barrel could ever rub the nail-head end of the guide rod.  The head of the guide rod can't get out of the recess near the breach end of the barrel.  FWIW, I polished the barrel along with the chamber and feed ramp before I had even put 10 rounds through the gun.

Replacing the guide rod won't solve the problem.  It would just recur with a new one after 20 rounds.
Really?  Look again.  Unload weapon.  Check that it is unloaded.  Check again.

Now, SLOWLY pull the slide back.  You will notice that for the first 3/8 to 1/2" the barrel moves back but the guiderod does not.  That is the where the nail head of the guiderod slides along the bottom of the barrel.  

Many people just reinstall the guiderod in the same spot everytime and live with it just fine.  I prefer to to put the bevel in that 2pp showed you above, put in a new guiderod, and never worry about it again.  

-Scott

Edited to add: Think about this a second. If it never could separate from the barrel it would not wear...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, now I get it. I was having a major visualization problem. I'll bevel that edge on the barrel and ask keltec for a new guide rod. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
It's okay - I am really familiar with the operations and your comment made me have to tear mine apart and look! Be careful, it only takes a relatively few swipes with the file; that barrel is much softer than I thought.

-Scott

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
pauldub said:
...and ask keltec for a new guide rod.  Thanks for the help.
you might as well ask for:
spare recoil springs,
spare extractor
spare extractor screws (at least 4)
even if your ejector hasn't made a dash back home, you might want one of those too. ;D

(Hey Scott, where is that explaination of the traveling ejector)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.