Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm probably not the first person to come up with this idea, but I hadn't seen a how-to video on it yet, just advertisements for the commercially-made ones (which are usually WAY overpriced for what little they are). So, I figured I'd make a quick video on it and share it with y'all, in case anyone might find it useful:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEpj4Ju_To[/ame]

Prior to making this, I was keeping a pistol on my nightstand next to a flashlight and my cell phone, but twice already when I've heard weird stuff in the night and went to grab for my gun, I found I was either way on the other side of my queen-sized bed, the nightstand was too high or out of reach, and/or I was fumbling about in the dark trying to get my hands on the gun and light. Now, all I need to do is run my hand along the side of the bed and I've got access to my Ruger, and once I get a holster with the attached spare mag pocket, I'll be putting that one on there so I can keep my flashlight handy in there with it.

Now, if only I could invent a better cat hair remover... :D

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Nice Idea! It's kinda one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" ideas. You could always just add a double mag pouch, that way you would have the extra mag and light. Heck you could add a pouch for your phone too if you wanted but that might be a little too much. Hmmm, now my gears are turning... ok maybe grinding. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks good. I do the same thing without the board using a standard Blackhawk nylon holster between mattress and boxspring on my side of the bed.

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out awhile ago and invested in another one of those airsoft holsters from Wally World for $8 (since my ex kinda claimed my last one when she moved out :p ), so now I have my Ruger and my light in the same spot now without any awkward fumbling or anything. I just left open the goofy buckle strap retention thing on the airsoft holster and tucked the strap underneath the side of the holster so it stays out of the way.

One neat thing about these bedside gun mounts is that if some boogeyman sneaks into your home and you're not aware of it until they're already in your bedroom, you can be going for your gun under the covers and the bad guy(s) won't even notice. Talk about "going undercover"... :D

I thought about just poking one of my guns in a Remora and just sandwiching it between the box spring and mattress like in the above pic, but allowing it to be far enough out that I could get a good grip upon it would have it protruding too far for my liking. I could totally see myself banging my knee on the thing or something while getting in/out of bed or while ... y'know ... doing other things... :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I thought about just poking one of my guns in a Remora and just sandwiching it between the box spring and mattress like in the above pic, but allowing it to be far enough out that I could get a good grip upon it would have it protruding too far for my liking. I could totally see myself banging my knee on the thing or something while getting in/out of bed or while ... y'know ... doing other things...
I've been doing it this way for a long time, and it hasn't been a problem. However, there's a pretty good chance that DW is more adventurous on his mattress than I am on mine, old fart that I am...

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been doing it this way for a long time, and it hasn't been a problem. However, there's a pretty good chance that DW is more adventurous on his mattress than I am on mine, old fart that I am...

Cheers,
Mutha Bob
Being somewhat newly single at the moment (it's been 2 months since she left), there's not a whole lot of "adventure" in my life these days. But I've been thinking of putting up an ad on a couple online dating sites, so once I do that, things should REALLY start rockin' in my life! I mean, that's how it works, right? You put up an ad and you're soon thereafter just overwhelmed with hot dates...? Right? Guys? :confused:

Okay, the laughter I'm hearing is telling me that perhaps I shouldn't trust the promises all those advertisement banners have been making... :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
OP, Great Idea. Thanks for the video.

hardcase60

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just made one today using a cheap Uncle Mikes after watching your video, thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw this news bit a minute ago and it made me all the more glad that I keep my bedside pistol concealed under the covers on the side of the bed, rather than leaving it out openly on the nightstand. Given, one should never leave their house unlocked so that someone could sneak in like this in the first place - it's not impossible to break into my house, but whoever does is gonna make plenty of noise doing so - but leaving a gun out in the open could have cost this guy his life:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/04/26/20120426surprise-martial-arts-intruder.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
cool idea '77

I had a brain child of my own last week while goofing around out the wood shop

i do keep my pistol on the night stand
I s'pose someone could sneak in unawares , but between the locked doors and dog with big ears , it's kind of unlikely

anyway, I put this together and it now resides on the night stand

i had nice piece of ambrosia maple too.
So I made another using it.
I lined the top of it with leather/suede

..l.T.A.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty neat rig! Definitely better craftsmanship than what I cobbled together. Good thing mine hides under the covers so nobody has to look at it, otherwise people would probably say, "Man, I hope you didn't actually pay money for that." :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good thing mine hides under the covers so nobody has to look at it,
you get an A+ for function ;)
and that's what matters 'most'

I like wood though... been playing with it for better than 20 years

here's some of the nicer pieces I designed and built
Both are solid oak and walnut (my two favorite domestic woods

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang! :eek: That's some VERY nice work! I'm jealous. I think the most fancy piece of furniture in my entire house is a wood-framed sofa that I got on Craigslist for $20 - darn near everything else in my house is particle-board Wally World junk. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
cool idea '77

I had a brain child of my own last week while goofing around out the wood shop

i do keep my pistol on the night stand
I s'pose someone could sneak in unawares , but between the locked doors and dog with big ears , it's kind of unlikely

anyway, I put this together and it now resides on the night stand

i had nice piece of ambrosia maple too.
So I made another using it.
I lined the top of it with leather/suede

..l.T.A.
My dog would be trying to shoot the cat for playing with the flashlight. Excellent craftsmanship and a fine piece of work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just reread the posts and it dawned on me that this concept might be adaptable to something for either under the seat or front of the seat for a vehicle. Hummmmm........

hardcase60

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen some folks use a really big belt to go around the bottom part of a seat to hold on one of those universal holsters. Myself, for vehicle carry, I just use a Remora: take it out of my waistband, shove it between the seat and center console, and go. When I get where I'm going, I take it out and either put it back in my waistband before I get out or (when I arrive at work) I put it in the ol' Nanosafe. Nothing left visible to clue anyone in to the fact there's a gun stored in the vehicle - no empty holster, safe's tucked under the seat out of sight, no NRA or hunting or other gun-themed stickers or anything on the outside, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts