Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a .22mag cylinder for my Ruger New Model Single Six. I found it on Gunbroker and got it for $50 shipped! Is there an easy way to check the cylinder timing when I install it? I was thinking of using a dowel rod.

Craig

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
if it clicked in place at the bottom of the frame (the little spring loaded thing that clicks into the cylinder) and does that every time you pull the hammer back, thats a good sign. If you can grab the cylinder that has clicked into place and it can be rotated, thats a bad sign. If it does not click into place, thats a bad sign.

A dowel rod will check it as well and is a good idea.

There are several models of this gun, and I have no idea if the cylinders interchange, so you definately want to check it out. I really like mine, but rarely fool with 22 mag. Good round but too expensive for paper :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips! I really like mine for paper punching in 22lr. I just wanted to have another option for 22wmr besides my NAA Mini.

Craig

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
A gunsmith would use a precisely ground range rod to check chamber throat/bore alignment on each chamber.
Like this:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=655/Product/REVOLVER-RANGE-RODS

A .22 cleaning rod without a tip on the end can be used as a makeshift range rod and would likely be better then a dowel rod.
Unless you can find a dowel rod that fits the bore better then the cleaning rod.

Or, you could wrap a layer or two of Scotch tape on the cleaning rod for as good a fit as possible.

rc

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
There are several models of this gun, and I have no idea if the cylinders interchange, so you definately want to check it out. I really like mine, but rarely fool with 22 mag. Good round but too expensive for paper :)
If you compare the .22 mag to .22lr's they are pricy. If you compare them to other rounds with the same energy, they are cheap. My $.02
Lop

·
Registered
152 Posts
I shot my "Super Single Six" today. I would never sell it without both cylinders. Be that as it may it's good to see you can get a replacement cylinder for it. Mine is a bi-centenial model and has the inscription " Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" inscribed on the barrel.
It is always a joy to shoot. Goes bang every time :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
if it clicked in place at the bottom of the frame (the little spring loaded thing that clicks into the cylinder) and does that every time you pull the hammer back, thats a good sign. If you can grab the cylinder that has clicked into place and it can be rotated, thats a bad sign. If it does not click into place, thats a bad sign.

A dowel rod will check it as well and is a good idea.

Good words for the wise jonnin. I agree if the cylinder rotates and locks in, it is good to go. hard to mess up a Ruger single action.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received the Magnum cylinder today it installed easily and lines up perfectly with my .22 cleaning rod. It locks in real tight. I will have to test fire it. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
awesome!

I agree 22 mag is less than even bottom shelf 9mm. 22 mag is running $8 a box or less around here for the bottom shelf stuff. Not bad, but at that price, I would rather shoot my makarov or other stuff than a glorified .22

By the way, one of the standard dowel rods you can find at a hardware store is .20 I think. You can figure out which with a spent .22 LR case. I took a spent 22, 9, and 45 and got 3 sizes which cover all my pistols close enough. Its as good a fit as a cleaning rod, maybe better, and certainly softer.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got to test fire it today and it must be in good time. I didn't notice any splatter nor did it keyhole on the target! I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it didn't shave lead off the bullet and spit it out the side of the cylinder you are good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts