Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a KSG shortly after they were introduced about 2011. It was a disaster re reliability and after the hassle of sending it back to KelTec, it was no better, so I retired it to my safe. Since that time I understand that KelTec has changed the internal design substantially at least once (Gen 2) and perhaps more than once. I like the concept of the KSG quite a bit and enough time has passed that I have almost forgotten my resolution to never buy a KelTec product again. With all this in mind I am considering giving a new KSG a try. So, what is the latest KSG generation in production and how can I identify it at the LGS?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I purchased a KSG shortly after they were introduced about 2011. It was a disaster re reliability and after the hassle of sending it back to KelTec, it was no better, so I retired it to my safe. Since that time I understand that KelTec has changed the internal design substantially at least once (Gen 2) and perhaps more than once. I like the concept of the KSG quite a bit and enough time has passed that I have almost forgotten my resolution to never buy a KelTec product again. With all this in mind I am considering giving a new KSG a try. So, what is the latest KSG generation in production and how can I identify it at the LGS?
Would it be possible to send the boat anchor model to Kel Tec to get the latest upgrades? I certainly would give that route a try.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have been told (I think by others here) that the changes from Gen 1 to Gen 2 (and later?) are so extensive that updating is not feasible and is not offered by KelTec.
Have you contacted them about these issues? The price that the early ones commanded makes this even more egregious. Contact them, it is not in any way unreasonable to expect them to make this right. You may be pleasantly surprised.....If not the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they have also been known to replace.
I like the way you think! I did try this via the LGS where I bought the KSG and the owner claimed he was working the issue and they were on the verge of replacing. A year later ... nothing. I think he was not really pursuing as he claimed. Will call KelTec directly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
they have also been known to replace.
Talked to KT today. They were not in a replacing frame of mind. Told me would not replace and upgrading to Gen 2 not available, but they would fix my Gen 1 if necessary. Said they would consider replacing it if they could not make it work to their standards. I've been down the "fix it" path before with no useful results. This was basically a "you bought it, you own it" conversation. Polite but not helpful. Maybe someone more accomplished at whining could have done better, but, so far, the KSG is the only firearm I have EVER had to return for repairs, so my whining skills are limited.

Since my original post on this topic, I have read many of the threads here on KSG reliability (actually, unreliability) and it seems that even the very latest KSG's are having similar problems. Some owners report "no issues" while others are performing extensive gunsmithing work in the hope of making their KSG reliable. Getting a reliable gun seems to be the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The major reliability issue with the KSG (of any version), at least as discussed herein, is the rough phosphate coating (Parkerizing) of the chamber. Even other issues, such as bent or broken pieces, many times have a root cause of a rough chamber, when the shooter tries to force things along with a bit of extra force.

KT's "solution" has been to advise "high brass only". Reports of extraction issues (and others resulting from extraction issues) being vastly mitigated with a proper chamber polishing are not unheard of.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Heck, I'll give you $300.00 for the KSG and I'll deal with the reliability issues. I've had both Gen 1 and Gen 2 with no real issues with either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
you never mentioned what problems it was having.
Fired shell fails to extract from chamber, with fresh shell attempting to chamber on top of fired shell. Have tried a wide range of ammo, but after talking to KT will try some more before giving up for good. KT did work over the chamber when I sent the gun back to them but it didnt seem to make a noticeable difference.

KT's "solution" has been to advise "high brass only"
Can someone post specific ammo (manuf, size, shot, velocity etc) which is known to work?

I'll give you $300.00 for the KSG and I'll deal with the reliability issues
Thanks for the offer, but my LGS has offered more in trade for a Gen 2 KSG.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Fired shell fails to extract from chamber, with fresh shell attempting to chamber on top of fired shell.Can someone post specific ammo (manuf, size, shot, velocity etc) which is known to work?
What you are describing, is what I already mentioned. The failure to extract:

a. Rough and or dirty chamber. Clean if needed. Polish to a near mirror finish by any one of several methods (not going into them all here). Shotgun chambers are not "critical" like a rifle, and they head space on the rim, so polish can be a DIY project.

b. Check the action of the extractor, which should be quite firm. Replace spring if needed.

c. Check extractor for broken tip, chipped tip, deformity, dirt impeding its travel, etc. Clean, or replace if damaged.

Since KT no doubt did (b.) and (c.) above, I'll lay money on the ol' rough chamber scenario.

Ok... here's one trick old time gunsmiths did. They took a stout wood dowel and put a slit in it. Then wrapped a long length of 120 paper in the slit and used that as a hone. Use wet/dry paper with oil please. Follow that by the same treatment with some 240 paper. Check your results often.

My own experience with steel wool in the chamber is poor. Rub the steel wool on the part of the barrel that goes into the receiver. Does it take off the Parkerizing? You're trying to remove that coating and its roughness, and get some nice smooth steel. If its smooth, it'll extract. If it extracts it wont log-jam the next round.

Also... the KSG needs a "full rack" rearward, or you may reinsert the old shell back into the chamber with resultant log-jam too. That last 1/4 inch or so makes all the difference!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Charlie B,

Thanks for all the advice, however, this is a nearly new gun with less than 200 total rounds through it, and purchased at a premium price prevailing at the time. Aint no way I am going play gunsmith and try to polish/hone the chamber, etc. I sent it back to KT and the work order says they "serviced the chamber" and replaced various parts. Still doesnt work as it should. I may send it back one more time but I am not going to attempt to fix it myself. I have purchased more than a few guns over the years and have never had to send any but the KSG back to the factory. This is KT's problem. I understand perfectly the need to rack the slide with authority and through the full travel - this is not the problem.

I have parked the KSG for now and replaced it with a Rem 870 modified with a Bullpup Unlimited conversion kit. Model of reliability, but, of course, more limited capacity and a bit heavier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Guys, I think we're out of bullets here...
Guys, I think we have a reading comprehension problem here ...

I wrote (spread over a few posts):

1. I will try to make the gun work with ammo I havent yet tried,

2. If I cant get it to work satisfactorily, I may send it back to KT for a second fix attempt, or

3. I will trade it at my LGS on a Gen 2 KSG.

How hard was that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just saying......with bit of fine sand paper to smooth out any edges like what the F&B stickie shows and a hone from Bownells, it should take care of what your describing. Like any manufacturer, KT will not fine tune the KSG they just replace parts, you need to put in the last 10%. I have 400 on the table for you for when you give up....just saying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just saying......with bit of fine sand paper to smooth out any edges like what the F&B stickie shows and a hone from Bownells, it should take care of what your describing.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a moderate amount of gunsmithing experience and can handle this no problem. However, this is something I shouldnt have to do with a new gun. KT doesnt state on their website, "This gun may not be operational when it leaves our factory. Its up to you to make it work." As previously stated, I like the concept of the KSG and want it to be a central part of my HD strategy but only if it is reliable. I'll do some additional fiddling and may do some chamber work as a last resort.

I'll keep your offer in mind.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.