CT sight in

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Guambodian, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I recently received a CT laser as a gift. I plan on using it for CC. I was considering sighting it in at 25 feet. Any advice?

2. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Sounds good to me. I'd go maybe a little closer, like 20 feet.

From what I know about self defense shootings that's about the furthest distance you would need to sight to. Anything closer and ignore the laser, point and shoot.

3. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    That's what I was thinking, 25 feet would be the absolute max range for laser use. Anybody else have advice?

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    My advice is to sight the laser parallel with the bore so that is always 1 inch below the point of impact no matter the range.

5. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Sanguelffuser,

Interesting. Is that what most people do?

I guess if you train with it that way enough, you won't have to think about where to aim. But how does that affect how you shoot without the laser? You would have to remember to aim differently based on whether or not you are using the laser.

6. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I don't know if most people do it that way. I got the recommendation from the Pro-Arms podcast episode #18. Here's a video about it: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMYMG_CFCcs[/ame]

It demonstrates a revolver laser grip, but the concept is the same.

7. jerrittcat

jerrittcat New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    The laser being below the bore means that the bullet will intersect the laser at some point ( if both are parrallel) because the bullet falls as soon as it leaves the barrel.....The most important adjustment would be side to side. there is one inch difference between the laser and the bore (vertical) and that shouldnt make any difference in a close range shot in the vertical axis as there is more bad guy in the vertical than in the horizontal. Just for consideration, I adjust my CT laser so when I look down my sights for a carefully aimed shot at 10 feet distance , I can just see the laser dot at point of aim...( just my 2 cents worth)

8. Chopper

Chopper New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I sighted my CT in at 21 ft. but it seems to still be very accurate even out to 50 ft. I'm thinking it may go out even farther but I haven't tried past 50 ft. Maybe "very accurate out to 50 ft. " is too strong because I'm not sure on how accurate it is at that distance in relationship to my point of aim. Let's just say that when I shoot at a target at 50ft. all the shots stay with in the head of the target.

9. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I agree with this post, but I feel the need to say that if you're shooting a .380 and are far enough away to experience bullet drop, you are probably shooting beyond the gun's (and your) capabilities. (see this table for an example)

10. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Calculating bullet drop is definitely outside the parameters of what I want to be doing. If I have to shoot that far I'm going Glock 17 or my old school SKS (if I can get my Dad to send it to me).

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    From a CT Owner's Manual section on SIGHTING ADJUSTMENTS...

"Lasergrips are pre-sighted at the factory for 50ft."

and

"Start by tuning the beam to line up with your fixed sights at the desired distance. Most people sight
    in their laser at between 20 and 50 feet. However, because of the small amount of mechanical offset
    between the laser and the bore, the actual change in point-of-impact from these distances is very small.
    Further adjustment can be made at the range to determine where your pistol impacts in relation to
    its fixed sights. The laser should be moved to the actual impact point of the bullet. (fig. 2)"

Ref: http://www.crimsontrace.com/files/manuals/ctc_manual_universal1.pdf

Take care...

12. BillinPittsburgh

BillinPittsburgh New Member

May 25, 2008
    A friend's experience with the Crimson Trace laser confirms BillK's post: it came from the factory perfect at 50 feet.

I would not be likely to make much - if any - adjustment to a laser for a pocket gun that was right on at 50 ft. However, I would want it sighted in at the longest possible distance. Unless you are shooting at a sufficiently long distance for bullet drop to be an issue, at any distance between that at which the path of the laser intersects the bullet's path and the muzzle, your maximum error is the distance between the laser and barrel. So, sighting in for greater distances will make no difference up close. However, sighting in the laser up close will create greater error at longer distances.

13. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Darn you guys! With such good reports I went ahead and ordered one. Won't get to test it until Feb since our range is closed for the ducks until then.
    og

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Here are YouTube videos on the two different takes for sighing in your laser...

Point of Aim: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL0i1UQQgv4&feature=related[/ame]

Barrel Parallel: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMYMG_CFCcs&feature=related[/ame]

Take care...