Crimson Trace Laser - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Psycho-Tec, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Psycho-Tec

Psycho-Tec New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Hello all, I am new here, but have owned a P-3AT for quite some time. I never really liked the sights on mine, but it wasn't purchased as a target gun. I have been contemplating purchasing the Crimson Trace laser, and I would like to here from those of you that own one, how you like it, or is there a better laser out there.

Thank you...

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Psycho - welcome and enjoy.

Check out the [​IMG] above as there is LOTS of information already here to answer your question. Pros, cons, opinions etc. abound on this topic.

-Scott

3. Psycho-Tec

Psycho-Tec New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Scott,

Thanks, I did try the search first, but only found about 5 posts under P-3AT. I was hoping to find more specifically about the CT for this gun. Maybe I just need to expand my search a bit.

4. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    My first laser was an armalaser, worked fine, did not like the touch (on/off) switch. Bought CT w/free galco pocket holster, and liked it so much, bought the 2nd. one for the 32. I don't think they send free holsters anymore, but my lasers serve me well, faster on target, no need to bring up to sight level, stay zero'd with full time carry (legal), don't hinder holstering, many holsters available, easy to change batteries, batteries readily available, what else can I say, I like mine.  Jim  <><

[​IMG]

5. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Just my opinion but I wouldn't go any other way. I have one, love it, my GF has one, loves it, and my Dad has one, loves it. There isn't anything not to love about them. Makes shooting really fun and made me a better shot for sure.

6. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I like my CT laser. I don't have a laser on any of my other guns, but it gives my P3AT much more accuracy. As you said, P3AT sights leave much to be desired. You can get on target much faster as you don't need to look through the sights. The P3AT is really made for close-in point shooting. With the red dot on your target, you know where your bullet is going to go!

Craig

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That's not exactly true - many people don't like how the activation button takes up grip space and/or makes your fingers be on a different plane on the grip. Many others are not bothered by it at all and really like it there. There are pros and cons of each of the choices out there.

-Scott

8. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    You always forget to read everything that I say. Just my opinion means what I think. That is why I always state that before anything I say. That means that "I" think there isn't anything not to love. No wonder why your post counts are so high.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    And it's just my opinion that I gave. That's pretty much what we do here. I don't "forget" to read anything. Your opinion modifier could just as easily have modified only the sentence in which it was included so all I did is clarify. I didn't bash your opinion, say you shouldn't hold it, etc.

As neither my post count nor your command of the English language are even remotely relevant to this discussion, enjoy.

-Scott

10. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Abuck50 summed it up. If you have the money, it's worth every penny. If not, you'd be fine without it. I love the accuracy, ability to critique your sight alignment and trigger pull, as well as the intimidation factor which may prevent you from actually having to pull the trigger although I don't count on it.
    The feel of the grip isn't changed at all for me although it does take up a tiny bit of space. This wasn't an issue for me because I added the grip extension anyways then cut/filed it down to keep the gun compact. I would say I extended the grip 1/4" which compensated for the CT laser and the fact that I could only get one and a half fingers on it originally. Now I can get 2 fingers on the grip and the laser button is a non-issue.
    If you buy one you won't regret it as long as money's not tight.

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hoopster, I think I remember you talking about this before. Could you start a thread on it and post some pics?

-Scott

12. 762x39

762x39 New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    At $50 less, I went with the Arm-a-Laser and have been very happy with it. Can now hit a clay pigion at 35 to 40 feet 80% of the time.

13. mg0427

mg0427 New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    armalaser here, once I got it sited in, it was great to shoot with. I think any laser when working makes for fun shooing.

14. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Lasers are especially useful as a training aid. In an area which is safe for dry fire practice you can practice drawing and presenting your laser equipped gun and each time you do the laser will show you exactly where the bullet would have gone. Since you don't have to take time to drive to a range and spend money to shoot you are much more likely to practice regularly with your laser equipped pistol. Perfect practice makes perfect shooting and the laser helps you make that practice perfect.

If the time ever comes when your life hangs on making that perfect shot you will be glad you made that investment. Just don't be cheap about buying batteries. If your not using up batteries you just aren't practicing enough.

15. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Big fan of the CT here. I don't even get a cut!
    Bought two a year ago both are working as they should.
    I have almost 600 rounds through my P3AT and the laser has been on it since shot#1.
    Norton

16. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I have had the CT for about 8 mnths now. I have been extremely pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. After reading the other posts I realize that not everyone is a fan of laser sights but I am now. It definately increased my accuracy and the time it takes to bring the KT on target. I personally would not have a P3 without one.

17. Psycho-Tec

Psycho-Tec New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Thanks guys for all the inputs. I think the CT will be one of my next purchases, unless I can get my hands on a Sub-2000.

18. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Another beliver here. Mine came with it when I purchased it. I have 2x ctc. One on my Ruger KP90 and one on my P3at. Never, ever had a problem and I even think they send you free batteries once a year if you ask.

Can't vouch for the armalaser but I have read they are similar. Both better then nothing.

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    For me, the CT laser was the single best accessory I've purchased for my P3AT. Here's a good price from a very reputable dealer: http://www.shooterssupply.com/html/kel-tec_lasergrips_by_crimson_.html

I am a big proponent of laser sights on any carry handgun. I have them installed on all of mine. LaserMax guide rod versions for my Glocks, Crimson Trace for P3AT and S&W 642 and an ArmaLaser RSS for my PF-9.