Crimson Trace laser sight Q's????

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by justfish380, Oct 25, 2008.

1. justfish380

justfish380 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I havent posted here in a while (or been to gunstore) b/c been VERY busy and family issues, so please point me in right direction if there are post about this already. I looked at first few pages on P3 and acces. and didnt see anything.

I saw the crimson trace laaazzzer sight at the gun store yesterday and was very tempted, but figured I need to check here 1st. Anyone have one? Whats the scoop? Accurate, durable, reliable? It almost looks as it woulf fit in my Guru Dave holster w a little stetching. Anyone have holster issues after installing?

Thanks in advance.

2. justfish380

justfish380 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    ok - it seems the search feature is a litle better than last time I was on here. I found one thread on the CT. Looks like Guru Dave is making a holster for it w/ the CT, although it seems as though their quality has slipped since I bought mine a few years ago. (My buddy recently bought one from my recommendation and it seems like cheap leather compared to mine)
    Any other info still appriciated.

3. atty

atty New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I have one. The round goes where the dot is. Simple as that.

Easy to install (I have a hard time with replacing a light bulb and it took me 3 minutes) and the Galco pocket holster which comes with it works very well.

As soon as you grasp the pistol the laser is activated for a very very fast point and shoot. Whoever worked on this little laser was not only a very good engineer but someone who knows what is important relative to a pocket gun.

Hope this is helpful.

4. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Another choice is the Armalaser, which I use and love. They sell at armalser.com for $125 including shipping AND a free Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. The Armalaser utilizes a sensor inside the trigger guard that senses the electricity in your finger to activate it. The CT uses a pressure swith under your fingers on a small grip. They both are good lasers, but the price, free holster, and instant on, made the Armalaser a no brainer for me. I'm not sorry that I chose it. And, if you ever change guns and want to switch the laser, for like $29.95, they will change out the case for the right case for your new gun. And....their customer service is great. I'm so impressed that I am getting an RSS for my PF-9. You can see it here: http://www.armalaser.com/Kel_Tec_P32_P3AT-KEL_TEC_P32_P3AT.html

5. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I have had my CT for 8 months & 600 rounds. No problems. I will be replacing the battery in a few months just to be safe.
    Check out shooters-resource.com (?) very competitive, excellent service, free shipping, dvd and answered all my silly questions.
    My buddy has the other brand & is now using a replacement, This one is the up grade, less than a month old and won't shut off unless the main switch is used. I'm sure this is not representative of their product.
    Also, I like the styling of the CT better, sleeker package.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Norton

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Shooter's Resource, yes, Chuck and his wife run the place, nice guy.

7. JoeBob

JoeBob New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I am looking at purchasing a P3AT (new for 235 :eek:) and was looking at options of lasers. I carry a 4" XD45 and looking for something a bit more concealable and for when I can't carry a fullsize gun. I can get a Crimson Trace for ~158 from the dealer I'll pick my p3at up at. I've also looked at the Armalaser. Only issue there is that it shuts itself off automatically. I don't think this is extremely tactical, as you may need to use it longer. I do think it would improve accuracy tremendously for being such a small gun. I would be looking at putting a grip sleeve on it, as well as mag extensions. Anyone have any hands on experience with both? I like that crimson trace is a pressure switch that doesn't automatically shutoff, but it is ~40 bucks more and also has what appears to be a crappier holster.

8. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
     I've had a crimson trace on my P3AT for about 6 months now and love it.  I have not tried the armalaser yet or even handled one, but have heard almost nothing but good reviews.  I don't think you would be disappointed with either accessory, but for me the crimson trace made more sense.  There appears to be more holster options for it and I've owned them in the past and have had zero problems.  Just my 2 cents...

9. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have the CTC laser on my P3AT and love it! It still fit my pocket holster with no modifications and I only had to cut 2 stitches in my IWB holster and it now fits great. My range accuracy has improved dramatically. It helped me solve my lousy trigger pull using dry fire exercises with snap caps. [​IMG]

10. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Hey JoeBob,

How tactical is it to have a laser that stays on for 10 seconds after you pull your finger out? May as well wear a flashing beacon on you. That is one of the reasons I picked CTC. By the way, I paid only a few dollars more for it, prices have since come down.
    Check with the dealer mentioned in the earlier post.
    Norton

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Much more tactical than one which screws up your grip on the weapon.  The P3AT is a self defense weapon, if you pull it somebody is likely to be shot.  Once they are shot the laser staying on for 10 more seconds isn't going to hurt you. Besides, unlike a green laser it is almost impossible to track a red laser back to its source.

-Scott

12. Who's grip is screwed up? Not a problem for me at all......I have ape paws, look at my thread posted above.....it may be a personal "issue"? ;)

Some will like one more than the other.

As already posted------I am sure Arma Laser makes a great laser, but I know the history and reputation of CTC first hand. (I have one on a J Frame S&W) And I got me CTC Laser at great discount. So it was a no brainer for me.

Mitch- Who enjoys flashing back to recent jokes with friends!

13. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Much more tactical than one which screws up your grip on the weapon.  ....

-Scott
    [/quote]
    Isn't that slander?

I know it's bullshit for sure because nobody who shoots my gun ever complains about a screwed up grip.

14. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    If I need the laser for tactical use ,my finger is on the trigger, so what you mentioned is a non issue for me. Armalaser is introducing an RSS model for the P3AT after the first of the year. The sensor is on the side, so you don't have to put your finger inside the trigger guard. The RSS is smaller, and the sensor is like a toggle switch without the switch. It turns the laser on and off when you touch it. The RSS does have a battery saver feature which turns the laser off after 3 minutes. I tried a P3 with a CT at the range, and for me, it was uncomfortable to have the switch on the grip. That's why I went with the Armalaser.

15. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    my GF, dad and i have the ctc on our p3ats and we all love them. once you shoot it for a while, you dont even realize that you have to push a button. just grip it and rip it. i cant wait until they start selling them for the pf9. coming this winter. the look of the ctc is sooo much sleeker than the armalaser. it may cost a little more but it is worth it to me. JMO

16. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    After installing a Hogue grip on my P3, then cutting out a spot for the CT, the finger groove ensures no finger slippage. Either way, it's only a matter of personal opinion. My fingers don't slip without the grip anyway and I don't even notice the button. The gentleman that manufacturers Armalaser apparently is a very nice guy and frequents this site. From what I have read, CT could not supply the personal level of customer support that Armalaser does; correct me if I am wrong here. I say this because CT is a much larger company so you're not going to talk to the real "man in charge" over there. Bottom line is both products are high quality and any argument is nothing more than personal opinion.

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Much more tactical than one which screws up your grip on the weapon.  ....
    -Scott
    [/quote]
    Isn't that slander?
    I know it's bull**** for sure because nobody who shoots my gun ever complains about a screwed up grip.[/quote]

We generally don't use that language around here and you know that DB.  Actually, if anything it would be libel as it was written, not spoken.  But it is neither, it is my opinion and the truth.  Having to put your fingers on a different "plane" along the grip, specifically having to have your middle finger higher then the rest of the fingers on the grip is "screwed up."

Now, the comment about with a Hogue grip cut out around the switch just might bring them on the same plane and might help that a bit.  The only problem is that I dislike the Hogue for one of the main reasons I dislike the CTC - it forces you to put your fingers in a specific spot which might not be comfortable for some.  Now to be fair, that is less of an issue with the CTC because your first finger on the grip will probably be right up against the guard regardless of where the rest are.  

And ctcdesigner who was apparently instrumental in the model for this weapon does frequent this site a fair amount and has been very very helpful around here.

-Scott

18. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    It's still all a matter of personal opinion and preference as both products do the job they are designed for. I've got the RSS for my PF9 but I'm returning the Armalaser smallblock I had on my P3AT. The small amount of space it took up in the trigger guard was causing me to short stroke the trigger. In 5 years I've never had a problem with short stroking. the trigger. Each brand is not going to be perfectly suited to each person. I might try the CT on the 3AT and find that it's the one that works for me. JMHO