Crimson trace improved my score on day one!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by badgerjohnson, Mar 1, 2011.

1. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Got the C-T laser grip for my Kel-Tec P3AT and love it.

Here's some observations:

First, and I've not seen this concept posted... When you use a laser sight you are seeing where the MUZZLE is aiming. The red dot moves, but the target is still (visually). When you use iron sights, even the very best, the TARGET is what is visually seen as moving. This is key to training the eye and the sighting/grip/hold/stance.

So when you are practicing, even with a dry fire/snap cap with laser you are actually improving your ability because of the intense FEEDBACK. You know when you are squeezing and pulling off target (or not) in an indelible way - you SEE it while it happens. This is key for feedback to work. Again, the key factor with a laser is you see the aim point moving not the target (visually). With iron sights it's the target which appears to move around - very low feedback and skill transfer.

So what happened is, I shot one magazine with the laser then moved to my S&W 9mm and guess what? May aim and steady holding had ALSO improved with the non-laser iron sighted S&W. It improved quite markedly. There was a definite and obvious immediate skill transfer. Now this effect may not stay with me, but it was startling. I put all 12 rounds into the target's center of head at 30 feet, several in the same hole. I usually am not this accurate with the S&W.

Wonder if anyone else had experienced this 'effect'?

2. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Hey Badger,

I'm still fence-sitting when it comes to lasers.

But it's interesting to hear your feedback. Pushes me a smidge more toward a laser.

I guess I'm part ruined to lasers by an initial bad experience. Back 20-some-odd years ago I got one for my Makarov. It was the "clamp on to the trigger guard" type that everyone hates now. Lasted 3 rounds before it lost its grip and was dangling like my gun had "junk." I haven't talked myself into taking the plunge again yet.

I wonder if my LGS will rent lasers? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Hi Kirk,

IMO, you can probably cut back on your range time just by practicing dry fire with snap-caps and a laser indoors where ever you have 25-30 feet of straight run like a long hallway or even a back yard fence. Yes, you need to do range time to incorporate the shock and recoil, but it's amazing how you can 'quiet down' your trigger pull and learn to hold steady on target free-hand with one. I'd say for any gun with indistinct sights like the Kel-tec (which isn't made for long distance aiming shooting anyway) the laser is indispensable. My C-T fits the Kel-tec like it's part of the frame - integrated and very tightly molded fit.

-B