Crimson Trace Advice

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by olddoc, Jul 26, 2010.

1. olddoc

olddoc New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    I just mounted a Crimson Trace on my P3AT. Followed all directions and it seems to be mounted correctly. Problem is two fold. Where the two pieces come together on either side of the laser bulb, there is a gap. Screws seem snug and did not want to continue tightening and strip threads. Also dot is a small round dot when shined on white wall at two feet but it is sort of hazy and less distinct at 6-8 ft. Woman at CT says gap is normal and that bulb may need cleaning, which I have not yet done . Any thoughts, particularly on the gap?

2. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Don't have the gap on either of the two CT lasers, one on a P3AT and one on a P9F. Hate to say it , but I'm thinking you did something not quite right. Take it off and put it back on again.................

3. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Have one on my P3at (3 yrs) and one on my P32 (2 years) and have changed batteries several times and they have never had any gap, and it is not unusual to have a slitely fuzzy dot. Jim <><

4. olddoc

olddoc New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Appreciate the advice. I will go back and futz with mine again. Not happy that the lady at CT told me the gap was normal. For those who have no gap. How tight did you turn the screws. I can't tell if they are screwing into plastic or if there is a metal sleeve. I'm scared of stripping them.

5. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    olddoc,

I just bought one this week for my new P3AT and installed mine pretty much just as you described. Did you notice the two plastic parts "snapping" together near the trigger guard prior to inserting the screws? I took mine off last night to clean the pistol after shooting it and mine was still very tightly held together even after removing the screws and I had to gently pry the two pieces apart. Look at it closely when you take it apart and see if the two are dovetailing together, there is a tab on one that seems to fit in and under the second piece. My description probably isn't a good word picture, but if you look at them closely you'll see what I mean. That might be part of the problem if those two aren't properly joined before you start threading the screws in.

Once you get it mounted and clean the lens, let us know what you find.

Good luck!

Tiger.

6. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    You should not have to "tighten" the screws in order to close a "gap".   Over tightening the screws to force the pieces together will strip the screw threads.  The two pieces should fit together around the trigger guard fairly well before you even begin to tighten any screws.  Likely you do not have the two pieces properly aligned with tabs connecting, etc.  This will cause the laser not to fit properly.  As for the "fuzzy" dot, this seems to be normal for a laser sight device beyond a couple of feet.  All of mine seem to do this to one degree or another.  Not really a problem or issue, as the idea is simply to place the "dot" on the target at the normal shooting distance (3-7 yards) and fire away.  Whether the edges of the dot are fuzzy or not won't make much difference.  Remember, the laser sight is not a "target" shooting device, but simply helps defensive shooting.  Works fine for me at normal distances on or off the range.  

Jim R

7. olddoc

olddoc New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Took it apart an started over from scratch. Had similar results at first until I discovered that results vary depending on which screw you insert first. Inserting the top screw first eliminates the gap.