Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's exactly what I though...

I finally bought an RDB and now, nobody is talking about them anymore. Do you guys still have them and like them or what? This week I also bought a pistol. My RDB is actually on layaway. I'll pick it up next week. And I can't wait!

Crickets...

SamM

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
My poor RDB is SOOOO last summer. :D

After another long dry spell I just bought six new toys, and only got around to finally shooting a couple of the 22 pistols yesterday. Every other time I've gone shooting, I've taken the RDB and it's always fun, and always reliable. I'm really looking forward to some time shooting off the bench. I don't expect bench rest accuracy, but I want to see how well the RDB can do with the right ammo and probably the forward support just in front of the pistol grip, or maybe the pistol grip itself.

I need to shoot the RDB a lot more. Until then, you guys post some more and I'll live vicariously through you.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
306 Posts
Took mine out a couple weeks ago. I've had a serious love/hate relationship with my RDB. A few too many stupid issues to deal with. I keep telling myself that I'll send it back to have it fixed, eventually I will.

When it runs, it's my top two or three favorite guns. I had great reliability last range trip, probably 200 rounds of doubles, triples and rapid fire with only 1 failure to lock bolt back.

Next range trip I'll throw a scope on and see what kind of accuracy I can get

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think i had that pin out of spec problem that was causing some issues. keltec had me send it back. . . during the hurricane. i shipped it friday before the storm hit and during the weekend, realized that i may have literally lost my gun to a hurricane 5k kilometers away. they just messaged me that they received it so i'm now simply waiting for the rifle to get back to me.

btw, if you're not aware. the military arms channel recently did a review of the desert tech MDR. and as an rdb owner, i could not stop smiling. the desert tech is much heavier - almost 2 lbs heavier. it's not more accurate - they were claiming it'd be a sub moa semi auto sniper but it's only comparable to other rifles so far. and it supresses as well as the tavors and nowhere near the rdb - it leaks gas in the face just as bad. but because there are 2 openings, the bolt pop is twice as loud. and while it seems to be reliable. . . so is the RDB now.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
I'm going to check out the MAC review of the Desert Tech MDR. Sounds underwhelming, given all of the hype that seemed to last for years of delays.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The MDR video from MAC was not impressive. The multi-cal feature is not something that I want or need. A .308 semi-auto rifle just does not appeal to me. The ammo is heavier and it's a bulky proposition. Personally, I feel that most 5.56 rifles are too big and heavy, one designed to be a 7.62 that converts to a 5.56 is just too freakishly heavy and bulky. Not something that you want to lug around for long.

To me, the lightweight RDB seems like a much better way to go. Lightweight and simple. If you need it the RDB will eventually have the multi-cal options. Not to 7.62x51 though.

SamM

·
Registered
95 Posts
The RDB-S will be the game changer rifle for may people wanting this type of rifle but can't get, due to stupid laws about features. Depending on how well my RDB runs, I'll be getting one. An especially interesting variant to me is the the RDB-C in 6.5 Grendel. That rifle will be very interesting.

SamM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Board lurker chiming in. I nabbed an RDB last month, but have only had the time to take it out once.

Ran 100 rounds of wolf gold out of the box with no gas adjustment or issues, and is probably the softest shooting gun I've ever fired. I do get an unsprung charging handle after the last round though; is this normal? I thought the charging handle would lock to the rear in the HK style notch. Magazine release is a little gritty, and the bolt release is really stiff.

Definitely plan on taking it out a lot more, and seeing what it can do. This is my first Kel Tec, and so far I'm really impressed with it. If it had easier chamber access, a stiffer gas regulator, and a big tactical brand name on it, these would sell out at $3000. Definitely the most innovative gun out in years.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The non reciprocating charge handle should remain in the forward position at last round. Without any other visual indicators of a bolt hold open condition, it takes getting used to. Yes, the stiff hold open is typical; as well as stiff take-down pins.
I just had the idea to paint a dot under the hold open latch tab for an indicator.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Wait till the RDB-S comes out, it will get lively then! I'm saving up now as it will be legal in the Peoples Republic of California.
Anyone beside me find it a bit ironic that due to their stupid laws, the model made 'just for them' is smaller, lighter, sleeker, more portable, and more concealable:eek:, than the regular model?
...Oh, and has just as much firepower:spot:.

Way to go dumb-masses!
Yellow Font Smile

(damn! now I want one):wall:

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
I'm ambivalent, in the original meaning of the word. I have strong feelings in two different directions. The RDB without a pistol grip was made to avoid the evil features provisions of the assault weapons bans in a few populous states with draconian (and obviously unconstitutional) anti-gun laws, but Kel-Tec did an awesome job designing the RDB without a pistol grip. I love the sleek futuristic look. It looks like a high speed low drag futuristic space gun. It pushes all of my buttons. But I can't buy the California nanny state allowed version, no matter how cool it looks or how functional it is. Right? I'm so confused. California... bad, but a Starship Troopers RDB... who doesn't want one or two of those?

I've heard people muse about what they'd do if they suddenly had a lot of money. I've never been interested in such speculation, but I just realized what I'd do for fun if I had a gazillion dollars. I'd start a gun company with the explicit purpose of making the most over-the-top outrageous firearms that were nevertheless permissible in states that have these unconstitutional anti-gun laws.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
... It pushes all of my buttons. But I can't buy the California nanny state allowed version, no matter how cool it looks or how functional it is. Right? I'm so confused. California... bad, but a Starship Troopers RDB... who doesn't want one or two of those?
What makes you think you wouldn't be able to buy one when they are released?
They were designed to be sold in any market including California.
Like most cars and small engines sold today are :quote:California-Compliant:quote:.
George did a great job designing it and I believe it will be a tremendous success.

It is my sincere hope that so many of us (outside of Cali) buy them, that the price drops low and they end up EVERYWHERE in Cali as 'payback' for them trying to step on people's rights out there
Font Logo Graphics Art
That would be a major factor in me deciding to finally own a .22:rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.