Cracked Slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DixieBronco, Jan 31, 2009.

1. DixieBronco

DixieBronco New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Purchased new P-3AT last weekend. Took to the range this week and put approximately 100 rounds through it. Today I noticed there is a crack in the slide by the ejection port. It's somewhat hard to see in the pics, but it does go all the way through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    Should be able to send in just the slide for a one for one exchange. I've seen the same thing happen on a VERY expensive 1911 slide as well as several knife blades. Sometimes there is a small flaw in the steel. No way to know unless you xray or magna flux every piece.

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Wow...new one on me. And that would seem to be an area of little stress.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.

Man that su%&s, to get a new gun and it break. That is the first I can recall hearing about a crack in the slide.

The good news, KT will proably replace it ASAP. You might want to look around about the correct (least expensive) way to ship it back AND call KT Monday and let them know it is on its way back.

Can you see the crack on the inside? Possitive it is not a surface indication?

5. DixieBronco

DixieBronco New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Yes, the crack is on the inside as well. I will give them a call on Monday. I hope it does not take them long to replace.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I have not spoken with KT's Service, but the general jest is, If you rationally explain, they can be Very fast to respond. I would guess they would want the old one in there hands so UPS time would be biggest contributer. Asking for a spare extractor, a couple screws and recoil springs would be a good ideal too.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    We nearly never see that happen. The slides and barrels are made from good quality 440 steel. It is a fluke and they'll fix you up. I'd call customer service. You should be able to send the slide back for a couple of bucks and get a new one pretty quickly. However, in accordance with policy, they may not send it out until they get the old one. Otherwise, some folks would send back a slide with a scratch thinking it was a crack. They deal with all kinds, you know. :-?

8. cherry911

cherry911 New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    It could just be a fluke problem. My agency had some SIG's that got weird cracks in the frame like that and SIG recalled the whole run. Give KT a sob story and try to talk them into a hard chrome slide for your troubles.

9. DixieBronco

DixieBronco New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Spoke with someone in customer service today and they were very abrupt. He said send it in and we will take a look. I asked what kind of turn around they are running and he stated 4-6 weeks :eek:. I may try to call back tomorrow and see if I can get someone else on the phone. This should not take 4 weeks, but rather a day for them to inspect and send a new slide

10. 4-6 weeks is pat answer, and it sounds like you talked to Bill. He is a great guy, just a gruff phone guy.

I am betting that it is MUCH less than 4 weeks, especiall if you include a nice note explaing that it is your personal every day carry gun, and you need it back ASAP.

11. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Did you ask for a call tag or do you have to send it to them on your dime?

12. DixieBronco

DixieBronco New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    He never said anything about sending a call tag. If you ask will they send you one?

13. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
    Did you take the gun back to the dealer you purchased from? A good dealer will take care of it for you either with KT or in store. Of course many dealers will not, but it's worth a try before you invest more time and money.

As gun owners, we are quick to give the LGS a pass and take all responsibility for things like this. Granted, KT has a life time warranty, but the dealer can get that service too. A dealer only has to make a toll free call to KT and ship the gun back USPS for just a few dollars. Dealers are quick to take the sales profit, let them earn it with professional service.

Jim

14. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It is actually the most highly stressed part of the slide.

The barrel and slide lock together at that point when the gun is in battery.
    It takes a mighty smart lick from the barrels chamber area locking surface every time you pop a cap.

The slide is induction hardened right there to make it way harder then the rest of the slide in order to take a licking and keep on ticking. You can see a change in color in the finish in that area on some guns due to the difference in hardness.

That one might have got a little over-cooked.

rc

15. edd_browne

edd_browne New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Too much defense so far;  so this link is for a p32,
     which has less stress than in a p3at ….

www.policelink.com/products/products/643-kel-tec-p-32
    1Tinman, Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:33:04 UTC.

"My dept has approx 70 Officers who used to carry this weapon.
    I would estimate that 70% of them malfunctioned at least once
    during a 16 round course of fire -- every time.
    One officer bragged that he had not had a single malfunction
    in 1000 rounds fired ...  3 rounds later his frame bent and
    locked the slide to the rear permanently.  …."

16. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    And that's got what to do with this guys question?

You name a gun, any gun, and I can find you an Internet link in under 5 minutes stating they are all junk.

As a counter reference, the Kansas Highway Patrol, and State Capitol police have authorized the P-32 as a BUG since they first came out.
    The P3AT has never been allowed because you can't lock the slide open during range qualification.

They seem to be limping along nicely for over 6 years now!

rc

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Since you cherry picked that out of all of the comments are you also going to point out that the same review, based on ALL comments gave the weapon 4/5 stars? I thought not.

-Scott

18. edd_browne

edd_browne New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    No cherry picking; a pattern exists; one which I posted on earlier.
    And after long experience with opinions and reviews on the Web,
    it became clear to me that the ones that count most are
    the negative ones.

For example, there many shill/publisher "reviews" on Amazon;
    so I don't usually read the highly positive comments.

More to the point, I'm looking for another p32 because
    of several factors, particularly since I eventually ironed out
    the problems in my first one.

But I am more leery of the P3at, since it was squeezed
    into such a small package.

19. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    It is actually the most highly stressed part of the slide.

The barrel and slide lock together at that point when the gun is in battery.
    It takes a mighty smart lick from the barrels chamber area locking surface every time you pop a cap.

The slide is induction hardened right there to make it way harder then the rest of the slide in order to take a licking and keep on ticking. You can see a change in color in the finish in that area on some guns due to the difference in hardness.

That one might have got a little over-cooked.

rc
    [/quote]

Thanks RC for the info. I never knew that. Another little bit of KelTec knowledge to file away for future use. :)

20. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Nevermind... just going to leave it alone.

CJ