Cracked Grip on my carry 3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nu_Agin_Shooter, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Cleaning up tonight after an afternoon at the range I noticed a small crack in the grip of my carry 3AT.  The red line on the pic shows the location.

[​IMG]

It is more than a hairline crack, and runs from the top of the grip down to almost the rear pin.  With slight thumb pressure the tip of the grip will flex a little bit and the crack widens.  I did not take the grip off yet to see if the crack goes all the way through.

I know a phone call to Kel-Tec in the a.m. will get me a new grip in a few days, and I am not overly concerned.

Has any one else seen this before?

And please- inspect all of your guns on a regular basis.

2. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Hey Nu_Agin_Shooter,

Cound you repost the pic without the highlighting? I'd be interested in seeing the stress fracture start to end.

Thanks

3. 2nd Life- I have not taken a picture of the gun siince I noticed the crack. That pic is an old pic that I touched up to show the [highlight]location [/highlight] of the crack.

I doubt my camera skills or my digital camera are adequate to show the crack. As I stated... just barely bigger than what I would call a hairline crack.

I will try this weekend to see if I can snap a pic worth posting, but the red line is close to location and length.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    There was a batch of grips where some grips cracked, mostly around the frame pins. IIRC, this was back in the Spring/Summer of 06. We saw maybe 10 or more here that had to be replaced so surely there are more of them out there. Is this gun a couple of years old?

5. Just got of the phone.

According to Tammy at KT- My HZJ** was born July 2006.

Bill has promised me a new black grip, with hammer block and mag catch installed - and a new set of frame pins.

He said he would send me a pre-paid return mailer for the cracked grip.

KT employees are great!

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hell, call him back and ask him if he can make it one that houses the new anti-short-stroke hammer block. I'm not sure if he will since your gun was not originally so equipped, but it can't hurt to ask. ;)

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    NAS, what are you tearing up now man? Glad you got it all straightened out.

8. Mostly paper!

[​IMG]

9. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I too would like to see a close up picture of the crack.  Try setting your digital camera to "Macro" mode.  It allows you to take pictures super close to the lens without losing focus.  Look for the button on your specific camera with this symbol.

[​IMG]

10. WOW!

Kel-Tec is FAST!  

I called FRIDAY 18 July about 9:00 a.m. and explainded that the grip was cracking.

It is now just past noon MONDAY 21 July.

I am holding my new grip with hammer block and mag release pre-installed.

If you don't count SUNDAY... that is about a 48 hour turn around!

They even included a pre-paid return envelope for me to send the old grip back to them!

Bill even sent me some new frame pins that I asked for.

I am not sure if it is the new hammer block design or not.... I think I will go home for lunch and swap the grip out and try and get some decent pics for you guys.

I will also inspect the hammer block and see how they compare.

I never had short stroke issues, but I am sure if I did get the new block I will be ok with it.

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    PICS before it goes home; pleases and thank yous.

-Scott

12. I was able to get some very good pics of the crack.......dang--- flash back to Dales azzz..........uhmm where was I ?

Oh yeah...............cracked GRIP pictures came out fine...... I was bale to get them uploaded to photo bucket, but could not re-size.

I will update tonight. Until then....

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Confession... That was not mine. You don't have enough money to see my a$$. ;D

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Confession...  That was not mine.  You don't have enough money to see my a$$.  ;D
    [/quote]

Do we have enough money NOT to?

-Scott

15. Now that there is funny!   ;D

Now back to the program...

As promised.. the pictures of MY crack!

The first three pics are basically the same:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following picture is the grip off of the gun, with just a slight amount of pressure to cause the crack to open up a bit.
    [​IMG]

You can't see much with this picture, but I included it to show that the grip is cracked across the top the entire thickness of the grip in that area.
    [​IMG]

I can not express it as well as a materials engineer might be able to, but if I had to predict where one of these grips would crack, it would have been in this location.

I have worked with alot of concrete slabs in my life, and they always crack at inside corners.  I would guess that this corner of the grip is exposed to more stress than any other area, as the frame transfers the force from the slide back into this little notch (corner).  All of the force, combined with the hole in the grip for the rear pin, furthers the weakness of this spot.

I could not see the crack inside the corner, but I will bet good $$ that it followed a straight line down the grip along the sharp edge.

16. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Like I said earlier, a couple of years ago, there was a little rash of cracking grips, probably all from the same batch. I think yours fits that timeline and they all pretty much looked like that - same location. I said then that they would be showing up for a while, depending on how much the gun got shot. The last one I saw was a couple of months back. Did you figure out if your new grip has the new hammer block?

17. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    While attempting to bash a new magazine catch into my April 07 P3, I noticed the same crack.

Guess I gotta call KT, but first I have to figure out how to get the fool hammer block back in right :D....

I think I lost a part....

Regards,

18. Dale-

I think I got the original 2nd gen hammer block. The new one in the grip Bill sent me LOOKS just like the one I took out of the cracked grip.

I am not sure if I would have wanted the new hammer block. The old style works fine for me. I have never been accused of SHORT STROKING anything! ;D
    ------------------------------------

SMMA- If you are going to swap grips...and I would not shoot my gun after I saw the crack in mine... you do not have re-install the old hammer block.

CALL Kel-Tec and talk to SERVICE. If you get Bill.... don't worry if he sounds a bit grumpy.... that is just his manner. Tell Bill...or whoever ... what is going on. They will send you out a new grip with a new mag catch and hammer block already installed.

Before I sent my cracked grip back.... I robbed my old grip of the old hammer block, the mag catch spring, and my metal mag catch.

19. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Nu_Agin:

(It's "Stu"....)

Thanks!

I DO want to swap in Packer's mag catch, though, but that's more frustrating than difficult.  I'm not sure who I talked to last time, but I was well treated.  Not even asked for a serial number!  I asked whoever I was talking to: "What to keep me from ordering the whole gun?", and we both got a laugh.

I want to get the hammer block back in the grip I have - just for practice.  I'm pretty sure of what I did, but it was approaching 0400 and I didn't want to continue.  Some work awaited up here in the office....  (I work "midnights" so my consulting clients have their stuff in the AM when they come in.)

It's been a love-hate thing - the gun worked well enough, but my chubby fingers would get pinched so badly that shooting it wasn't fun, and I really never got the range time.  I put KT's trigger shoe on the gun, and that problem eased up, but after a very few rounds, the mag catch went....  Then I trashed the trigger trying to re-install the shoe....  I got one of Packer's catches, and never quite got around to installing it, while waiting for a special trigger from him.  Finally decided that I needed the gun functional, and the rest is my last post :)....

Regards,

20. Got ya STU---

I have removed and re-intsalled the hammer block ..... once .....and forgot how I did it!

I do know it invloved punching a few fist sized holes in the kitchen wall, kicking the dog..... and my wife covering her ears.