Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone have any definitive answers on where these pistols stand with Big Brother when braced? SBR? No worries? Short of carrying mine into the local ATF office ( I would rather slam my fingers in a 1970's car door) I really do not want to be messed with. I absolutely love this pistol. I shake when shooting pistols so much I would be lucky to hit a barn door, but with the brace it is accurate and fun.

Pic for reference
Air gun Wood Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the ATF's position on pistols under 64oz and shorter than 12 inches is: They don't need a brace and therefore braces are prohibited.

However, one could also read the form 4999 in a way that says: The factoring criteria does not apply to pistols under 64oz and shorter than 12 inches. Put whatever you want on them.

I'm confused. Also, what if (hypothetically speaking) you have a short eye relief scope (say 2.5x) that is best used when the pistol is braced and shouldered? (That gets in to the "disclaimer" in the big paragraph at the top of the 4999 first page.)

Frankly, being forced to pay $200 for a tax stamp on what obviously is a "pistol" (braced or not) is just stupid and wrong in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes, stupid and wrong, but since when has the ATF ever been stopped by that? Let's see, take a handgun and make it bigger and less concealable and it requires a tax stamp. Really? Where's the logic? Want to add a can to protect ones hearing as well as also making the handgun less concealable, again, get permission. I'm not arguing with you, we're in agreement.

More rumor that I ran into maybe a month ago... It might not attract anyone not already in the registry. I was sent an email stating that ATF was considering an amnesty so that folks with arm braced handguns could SBR them w/o paying for the $200 tax stamp. I want to state again that this was rumor and not definitive. If one is already in the registration that is nothing to lose. Not in the registration? It's up to you.

Maybe to help with the decision is the technique of shooting the handgun cheeked with a red dot on it. I did have mine arm braced and loved it then saw this technique mentioned on this forum and as foreign as it was to me I had to try it. So the arm brace came off and I elevated the sight to get it in my eyesight while cheeked. I've been practicing with it that way and it really does work. It looks crazy, I know.

If there is an amnesty I'll probably take advantage of it and slap some arm braces on other handguns at the same time since I'm already in the registry. That would give me another "competition legal" SBR to use in Steel Challenge. But for those not in that situation and for a handgun like the CP33 that can be cheeked there is at least one alternative to consider for accurate firing at distance w/o a brace.

edit: Coincidentally I received this just now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts