Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
New owner of the CP33 here. After some practice, I can load a mag that would have no rim lock issues, however, I did want to ask the group about a variation I see from time to time with a loaded mag.

The photo shows two mags, with the mag on the left having a different pattern at the bottom two rounds (orange dots), and the top three rounds (red dots). I think the red is different due to the orange at the bottom.

All that said, does the position of the bottom most round on the left side matter as long as they are staggered bottom to top? View attachment 54612
Mine do this sometimes, as long as they're staggered it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran 7 magazines, correctly loaded, through it over the weekend and 5 mags ended up with rim lock within the last 12 rounds or less.

I attributed this to the fact that the rim profile varies from one round to the next. This was with Federal and Winchester bulk pack. The 2 mags that worked were loaded with CCI.

While every other 22 cal firearm I own will shoot anything I throw at them, this gun will not. That being said, if mfgs would use and stick to a standard with a very minute tolerance then I wouldn't be having this conversation. On the other side of the coin, a gun mfg should make a gun that isn't so darn finicky. Three rows single stacked would have been a better engineering feat than two rows double stacked at this point.

Minus the rim lock issue, this gun was a dream to shoot. It's balanced well and the grip size is perfect. My favorite target pistol has been a Ruger 22/45 since it was first released decades ago, but this gun may change that if it will feed correctly and do it consistantly.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Very strange malfunctions you're getting. When I first got mine and didn't pay attention enough or got cute with testing it I had rim lock malfunctions, but after getting that out of my system, nothing. Some rounds won't properly cycle the action but .22s are known for that.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You should try the mcarbo's release upgrade. This.uograde takes the up and down play out of mag fit.

I think the issue with the cp33 is the feed ramp angle of the mags. Not sure.

Even though the manual says to use ammo that doesnt rotate in the case and use 40 grain we all want to use what we have.
That rim lock issue will be relieved with an american nested speed loader .

I know that with 40 grain, the.speed Loader, 17 rund extension amd mcarbo mag release I have gone through 8 mags in a row no issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should try the mcarbo's release upgrade. This.uograde takes the up and down play out of mag fit.

I think the issue with the cp33 is the feed ramp angle of the mags. Not sure.

Even though the manual says to use ammo that doesnt rotate in the case and use 40 grain we all want to use what we have.
That rim lock issue will be relieved with an american nested speed loader .

I know that with 40 grain, the.speed Loader, 17 rund extension amd mcarbo mag release I have gone through 8 mags in a row no issue.
Not saying you are wrong, but regardless of what speedloader is used, or no speedloader for that matter, if properly loaded rounds shift while the gun is in use that's not a good thing.

I do agree on the angle of the magazine feed ramp. I had the same thought. I'm no engineer, but look at the angle on single stack 22 mags from other mfgs...a more significant angle can be seen.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Now that's odd I have never had the rounds shift. I have loaded my mags and tossed the unused mags in the range bag . They stayed there for weeks being jostled around until I sot them again. No rounds moved.
Maybe your rounds weren't in perfect alignment and shifted under recoil.
Either way that american loader and mag release upgrades strike game changers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had some rounds shift during my last range session. I was trying to use up some CCI Minimag 36gr hp's. I had a feeling they wouldn't run, so I only loaded them 10 at a time, confirming the correct stagger. 2 or 3 rounds into the mag, I'd get rimlock.
As long as I run 40gr, it's pretty much flawless through 7 or 8 Steel Challenge matches and a good bit of training/practice.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Will the bolt close without a mag inserted?
sounds like either the bolt doesn’t have enough force to strip a round or it’s hitting the bolt stop. If it’s the bolt stop sticking, the bolt shouldn’t close without a mag inserted.
I’d also make sure it’s properly lubed, and load the mag with one round and see if it will chamber.
My PMR-30 didn’t like chambering the first round when the mags were fully loaded at first, they needed some break in.
My CP33 ran fine but I started with 15, then 20, then 25 til I started fully loading my mags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will the bolt close without a mag inserted?
sounds like either the bolt doesn’t have enough force to strip a round or it’s hitting the bolt stop. If it’s the bolt stop sticking, the bolt shouldn’t close without a mag inserted.
I’d also make sure it’s properly lubed, and load the mag with one round and see if it will chamber.
My PMR-30 didn’t like chambering the first round when the mags were fully loaded at first, they needed some break in.
My CP33 ran fine but I started with 15, then 20, then 25 til I started fully loading my mags.
I'm good. I had magazine inserted with rounds in it. I wanted to function check gun prior to live fire. Once I loaded magazine 50% bolt went forward all de way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks, just bought a CP33, looks like a sept 2020 build,at least that‘s on the sticker on the case? First range trip today with wife, functioned flawlessly. Used CCI blazer 40 LRN, Aguila 40 CP, and CCI Mini 40, I wasnt concerned about the plated but was very happy the LRN functioned perfectly. Used the American speed loader, verified all lined up every time(and they did). Typically loaded 11-15 rounds per mag. This gun is very accurate! We did use the charging handle to chamber, no issues. Will try with suppressor next time out. Outside of Talon pro grips, threw a Vortex Venom on it, easy enough and more fun! I’ll be spending more time loading than shooting......

·
Registered
36 Posts
I keep getting nose dives in the magazine. I feel like I’m loading the mags correctly and the cartridges look to be in the correct stacking order but yet I still get nose dives. When the gun shoots its great but I have 5k Winchester bulk white box I need to use. It’s like 50% of the time it works great but it’s 100% the magazine causing the issue. I added the Mcarbo mag release but the issues I have are not getting the rounds in the gun and with the rounds nose diving inside the mag. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Coupla things come to mind.

Are your mags clean? Don't answer, but if not take a used and ready for the trash toothbrush, disassemble the mag and clean it with warm water and detergent. Lubricating the mag can also help. A tiny bit of carnauba paste wax on a q-tip and put it in the feed area. Let it dry and take the other end and wipe the excess off. More is NOT the way to go here. You only need 1 molecule thick so don't go crazy on the application of the wax. And when I write CARNAUBA wax I mean exactly that. One brand name is Minwax but there may be others. There are spray mag' lubes but I don't know how they'll affect the plastic.

Try different ammo. .22s are notoriously finicky in what they digest. The hard part will be finding any ammo, but selling what you have won't be difficult.

I don't know what Win' white box is like but if it's wax lubed that could be an issue. Having written that I shoot a lot of Fed' AutoMatch. They are wax lubed and they work fine in a clean magazine. My "count on it" ammo is copper washed.

Good luck. Please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, my first post here but this thread has fixed my first round issues.
I followed the suggestion of rounding the bottom of the chamber, just very slightly with a fine needle file.
Using Thunderbolt ammo I had zero feeding issues in over 200 rounds. I then tried some Mini Mag HP's and right away back to the first round problem again, surprising really as I thought Mini Mags were one of the best.
Thanks for your help, so happy with my CP33 now!

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Using Thunderbolt ammo I had zero feeding issues in over 200 rounds. I then tried some Mini Mag HP's and right away back to the first round problem again, surprising really as I thought Mini Mags were one of the best.
Many of the Remington 22LR rounds have loosely crimped bullets. In some guns, they bend into a banana shape and jam, but in others, they bend enough to facilitate chambering.

I don't buy Remington 22LR ammo. Too many of my 22s don't like it. My CP33 reliably eats the few types of CCI I've fed it, as well as some Winchester, Aguila, Federal maroon box and AutoMatch, etc. The only ammo it didn't like was the Aguila 60 gr subsonic, but that was to be expected. It's lousy in auto loaders. There's a tiny 22 short case and that big wax covered 60 gr bullet is most of the round.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts