Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went to the range today with my CP33 to shoot for the first time. Unfortunately all they had was Remington golden bullet.
I literally had every type of malfunction possible. First round did not load(yep I was slapping the mag in hard) now I know lol
sometimes I could get 10 shots out in a row then it would not feed.
Did manage to shoot all 200 rounds but it was not as fun as it could have been.
Going to follow your tips and try and put the pen in the mags for a week. And I’m going to try and find some thunderbolt bullets and try that next time.
Still trying to decide if the speed loader is worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Crew - I now have about 5000 rounds through my CP33, many in rapid fire competition like RCSA. I see a small dimple in the stock feed ramp. Obvious coarse of action is replacing it with the steel ramp from MCARBO. I'm just curious if anyone else with a high round count on the OEM feed ramp also sees a tiny little dent/dimple?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Crew - I now have about 5000 rounds through my CP33, many in rapid fire competition like RCSA. I see a small dimple in the stock feed ramp. Obvious coarse of action is replacing it with the steel ramp from MCARBO. I'm just curious if anyone else with a high round count on the OEM feed ramp also sees a tiny little dent/dimple?
You will be disappointed. MCARBO doesn't have a feed ramp for the CP33 because the CP33 doesn't use one unfortunately. I think it would greatly improve the CP33 if it had one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You will be disappointed. MCARBO doesn't have a feed ramp for the CP33 because the CP33 doesn't use one unfortunately. I think it would greatly improve the CP33 if it had one.
I see that now - upon closer inspection the dent/dimple is directly under the chamber. It must be a result of rubbing / high temperature where the barrel is being supported by the 'feed ramp' that doesn't actually feed. It looks like all of the feeding is done by the lip of the magazine.

So that begs the next question - has anybody tried throating the edge on the lip of the magazines?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I see that now - upon closer inspection the dent/dimple is directly under the chamber. It must be a result of rubbing / high temperature where the barrel is being supported by the 'feed ramp' that doesn't actually feed. It looks like all of the feeding is done by the lip of the magazine.

So that begs the next question - has anybody tried throating the edge on the lip of the magazines?
Not that I'm aware of, but there is a thread in this group that goes into detail about slightly altering the bottom lip of the chamber, but I can't seem to find it. Never mind, it is the first few posts of this thread.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I must be the only one who has installed the mcarbo mag release.
It has made my cp33 100 % reliable. The remington gold bulk bullets don't load well in the mags and there aren't great to shoot.
The lightest weight round I have uses is the blazer 38 grain round nose with no issue and that's with the +17 mag extension.
Very impressive to have 50 rounds in such a small compact mag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess they have improved something as my newly purchased cp33 has been 100% so far, Remington, Aggila, cci, federal, all have been perfect. I love this gun!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Must have I have m00095. It feeds but mags have issues with remington gold bulk and one of the winchesters. You know if the head of bullets has jiggle it will probably give am issue. I just stay with 40 grain and dont worry about it. All my other 22lrs like the 40 grain so I'm good

·
Registered
87 Posts
i love the CP33 but have been plagued with feeding issues. Hopefully I can get a label and send it back. For months it would ftf atleast 5 rounds per mag (loaded correctly) and now the last time I took it out it double and triple fed. Being used to bullpups I’ll drop the mag when there is an issue instead of the “tap,rack and pull”. Looks like atleast one of my mags is defective. I’ll contact them Monday and see if they can send me a label. They have been excellent in the past with any issues.
Metal Carbon Machine Steel
Finger Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Black
Finger Gun Firearm Trigger Thumb

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’m thinking at a minimum a bad extractor and faulty magazine. The mag is a comprehensive design and really should have reinforced metal feed lips, especially for the price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I called Keltec and they said to send it back for some warranty work. I guess there are several upgrades that have been done on the newer models (mine is over a year old) I’ll keep you guys posted on the results and if it’s better when I get it back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had similar problems to those described here by everyone else. I use the American Speedloader to load the mags, and I check after the mags are loaded for rim-locking, and I haven't seen any problems with that. The first few rounds in each mag seem to load and fire fine - but after a couple \ few rounds, I start to get problems, regardless of the type of ammo I'm using - CCI Mini Mags, CCI Stingers, Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.. When I drop the magazine to clear the gun, it looks like the top round is hitting the front of the magazine and jamming, before the front of the next round even gets up towards the magazine's "feed ramp". Maybe that could be due to the round jammed in the chamber or the most recently round not being extracted correctly. I'll take a close look at and thoroughly clean the extractor and the chamber, but as far as the magazine, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help the rounds cycle better up and out of the magazine into the gun, so the top round is at least presented properly so it gets into the chamber versus getting jammed inside the magazine. Maybe a very light application of some light gun oil, or silicon lube, or something? Any suggestions?

My next step is to send the gun and magazines back to KelTec - I'm wondering if any of the post-release improvements \ modifications they've made since first releasing the gun would improve my pistol's reliability?

·
Registered
960 Posts
<snip>
as far as the magazine, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help the rounds cycle better up and out of the magazine into the gun, so the top round is at least presented properly so it gets into the chamber versus getting jammed inside the magazine. Maybe a very light application of some light gun oil, or silicon lube, or something? Any suggestions?
<snip>
Obviously I don't know if you're doing this, but are you cleaning the mags?

one more thing but it'll be a PITA with .22... There was a time when I was having feed issues with a double stack 1911 using cheap ammo. The mfg'r stated in the manual to use ammo with a high polish and this ammo wasn't that. So I dropped back and to make the cases slicker I put a light coating of paste carnauba wax on the ammo, then wiped it off. I did it when watching the TV so it was wasted time that I used productively. The result were slick cases that changed the gun from a jammamatic with that inexpensive ammo to one that fed it 100%. The problem was in the magazine where the rounds transitioned from 2 stack to single feed. Yeah, I know waxing .22 would be a major PITA. But cleaning the mag' and then waxing the inside of the mag' would be pretty easy. Just be sure to not leave the wax in it in a thick layer. You want to wipe it out and have only 1 molecule of wax remaining. Note that I haven't done this myself. I found that just cleaning the mag works for me.

I would be very reluctant to put liquid lube inside a mag' since it would hold any crud that get's into it. It might work for a time, but make the problem worse down the road and you'd need to clean the mag anyway. But if that's what it takes that's what it takes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I cleaned the gun after shooting every other time and the mag at the same time. For the mag I just wipe it down with a damp rag to get the crud out. Going to send it in next week as I have been plagued with issues from day one and there seems to be some upgrades they will do at the same time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like to do some tinkering and a little bit of amateur gunsmithing, but when the prep work to go shooting reaches a point where the shooting is no longer enjoyable or the gun is constantly jamming, then, for me, it's time for the gun to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New owner of the CP33 here. After some practice, I can load a mag that would have no rim lock issues, however, I did want to ask the group about a variation I see from time to time with a loaded mag.

The photo shows two mags, with the mag on the left having a different pattern at the bottom two rounds (orange dots), and the top three rounds (red dots). I think the red is different due to the orange at the bottom.

All that said, does the position of the bottom most round on the left side matter as long as they are staggered bottom to top?
Font Metal Parallel Rectangle Paper

101 - 120 of 141 Posts