Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know that every pistol will act different. With my CP33, I only have the first round issue when I use ammo lead bullets. I do NOT have the issue when I use copper plated bullets.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference with any ammo with the first round, they all chamber the same way - they don't. But it's only the first round. So I pull back on the charging handle a few times and it eventually chambers. After that the rest of the mag' works fine. I attribute that to the charging handle either not pulling the bolt back all the way to get enough momentum to chamber the cartridge and firing a cartridge does get it back far enough. Or no "bounce back" by the bolt when firing a cartridge for added momentum. Does it bother me? Not really. I try not to shoot it empty but try to put a fresh mag in when I have one still in the chamber (tactical reload). A few rounds might still be in the mag' too. FWIW, anyone trying that it's always a good idea to download the mag one round to give room for the bolt to intrude into the mag' a bit. Otherwise the mag might refuse to seat properly. That's not just for the CP33, but for any magazine fed gun. When I shoot a stage that requires a mag change, if I'm going to be seating a "full" mag' I always pull one round out before putting it into my mag pouch. I learned that the hard way and only lost points. You can learn that without anything at stake. If you have your life at stake you definitely don't want to make that rookie mistake. It's better to recharge with 29 rounds in a mag that will seat easily and surely than with a 30 round mag that won't seat and will fall out.

BTW, a tactical reload is also the reason I no longer drop my mags on the ground. They need to stay with me for topping off later. They can be put down the shirt if that's all that's available. But for competition I have a dump pouch on my belt that gets the empty. It might take a split second longer for me to put the "empty" (it's not empty) in the dump pouch as I reach for a fresh mag'. How one trains is what one will revert to when the chips are down. Yes, it costs me time, but I don't look at competition as the end game but just a step along the way on the path to staying sharp.

But I've been running off at the keyboard.

But despite my 1st round chambering from a 20 round mag I'd still like to get the first round to chamber w/o any aggravation from a full mag. So today I took an ultra fine Cratex tip (light green) in the Dremel and polished the factory bevel. It took longer to get ready for the job and clean up from it than the actual polishing took (maybe 2 minutes?). Now it's a polished thing of beauty. I only had 21 rounds in the mag' and the first round chambered first time after the polishing, so I didn't screw it up. Not that I expected polishing to screw it up anyway. But loading from a 21 round mag' is not a real test. I remember only having the problem with a full mag'. Some day maybe I'll test that.

If it needs a deeper grinding (throating a .22? That's something new to wrap my head around) I can do that. But it's much easier to remove metal than to put it back so I'm going slow. Frankly it didn't really bother me in the first place, but polishing the chamber entrance is never a bad thing to do. I'll live with it for a time and determine if I want to do more. There's no hurry.

Subgunner1, thanks for the heads up on this. At least I know that it can be done should I choose to do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I haven't noticed any difference with any ammo with the first round, they all chamber the same way - they don't. But it's only the first round. So I pull back on the charging handle a few times and it eventually chambers. After that the rest of the mag' works fine. I attribute that to the charging handle either not pulling the bolt back all the way to get enough momentum to chamber the cartridge and firing a cartridge does get it back far enough. Or no "bounce back" by the bolt when firing a cartridge for added momentum. Does it bother me? Not really. I try not to shoot it empty but try to put a fresh mag in when I have one still in the chamber (tactical reload). A few rounds might still be in the mag' too. FWIW, anyone trying that it's always a good idea to download the mag one round to give room for the bolt to intrude into the mag' a bit. Otherwise the mag might refuse to seat properly. That's not just for the CP33, but for any magazine fed gun. When I shoot a stage that requires a mag change, if I'm going to be seating a "full" mag' I always pull one round out before putting it into my mag pouch. I learned that the hard way and only lost points. You can learn that without anything at stake. If you have your life at stake you definitely don't want to make that rookie mistake. It's better to recharge with 29 rounds in a mag that will seat easily and surely than with a 30 round mag that won't seat and will fall out.

BTW, a tactical reload is also the reason I no longer drop my mags on the ground. They need to stay with me for topping off later. They can be put down the shirt if that's all that's available. But for competition I have a dump pouch on my belt that gets the empty. It might take a split second longer for me to put the "empty" (it's not empty) in the dump pouch as I reach for a fresh mag'. How one trains is what one will revert to when the chips are down. Yes, it costs me time, but I don't look at competition as the end game but just a step along the way on the path to staying sharp.

But I've been running off at the keyboard.

But despite my 1st round chambering from a 20 round mag I'd still like to get the first round to chamber w/o any aggravation from a full mag. So today I took an ultra fine Cratex tip (light green) in the Dremel and polished the factory bevel. It took longer to get ready for the job and clean up from it than the actual polishing took (maybe 2 minutes?). Now it's a polished thing of beauty. I only had 21 rounds in the mag' and the first round chambered first time after the polishing, so I didn't screw it up. Not that I expected polishing to screw it up anyway. But loading from a 21 round mag' is not a real test. I remember only having the problem with a full mag'. Some day maybe I'll test that.

If it needs a deeper grinding (throating a .22? That's something new to wrap my head around) I can do that. But it's much easier to remove metal than to put it back so I'm going slow. Frankly it didn't really bother me in the first place, but polishing the chamber entrance is never a bad thing to do. I'll live with it for a time and determine if I want to do more. There's no hurry.

Subgunner1, thanks for the heads up on this. At least I know that it can be done should I choose to do it.
Good job BJK a lot of good advice in your post and I do concur on you match practices. Glad to see you are stepping up on the ramping idea. It will help for sure. Because I am not familiar with the Dremel tip you used I am assuming it did remove a small amount of metal which improved feeding, because, if it were just a matter of polishing you would not have to do it again for improved results. If you are not experienced in the ramping process then, as you said, start small, try it and check for results. If it fixes your chamber entry problem than great you're done. If not go back for a second grind/polish and so on until you get as close to complete reliability as you desire. And lets not forget this problem is directly connected to the magazine issues, so you need to insure that everything is "on the money" with the magazine to achieve optimum results. You can follow your results by saving one or two expended cases from each test group and compare the slight bulge in the case just in front of the rim. Good Job Sir, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks.

The Cratex abrasive wheels aren't necessarily grinding wheels but polishing wheels. All I did this time was to use the absolute finest grade in the kit I have for a mirror polish.

This is probably very similar to what I bought decades ago. It costs much more today.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05086921

Not so much the coarser grades, but I've used those also, but the finer grades are worth their weight in gold for polishing in the Dremel or die grinder.

You have no idea how much I don't want to make fast moves when I remove metal. :) I'm probably being over cautious. When I throated my 1911 I went much faster but that's because I knew I had some supporting case head.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thanks.

The Cratex abrasive wheels aren't necessarily grinding wheels but polishing wheels. All I did this time was to use the absolute finest grade in the kit I have for a mirror polish.

This is probably very similar to what I bought decades ago. It costs much more today.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05086921

Not so much the coarser grades, but I've used those also, but the finer grades are worth their weight in gold for polishing in the Dremel or die grinder.

You have no idea how much I don't want to make fast moves when I remove metal. :) I'm probably being over cautious. When I throated my 1911 I went much faster but that's because I knew I had some supporting case head.
Nothing wrong with going slow. I move faster because I have done this many times before and know how far to go. If the problems persist don't be afraid to remove some metal. Just do it in stages then test it with a few different ammo types. Just use the case picture I posted as a guide for the Maximum amount to remove. Looking at the expended cases is a very good way to gauge your work. I went heavy on this gun because the feed issues were severe, by my standards. Even with this deep cut I have run thousands of rounds through my CP33 without a single problem due to the ramp cut. And I have reduced my first round miss-feeds to ZERO! Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm an old fart, new gun owner, and joined this group before my CP33 even arrived. Out of all the guns I ordered, I was most excited about my CP33, as you might be able to tell my my icon of the 2 CP33 mags (which I will be changing soon).

After doing more research, I also ordered a P17 and a PMR-30. They all came in at about the same time. When I first went to the range, I brought all 3. I started with the P17, because it was the most simple. Loved it, and still do. Except for some junk ammo, it was wonderful. Even with the junk ammo, some of it fired.

Then I tried the CP33. First of all, loading the mags was terrible, even with the Mcarbo speed loader, which worked great on the PMR-30.

The PMR-30 mags loaded 2-4 times faster than the CP33, with the same speed loader. But that was the least of the problems. First, I had to keep taking rounds out of the CP33 mags and putting them back in, because they would get rim locked. That never happened on the CMR-30.

Then, even after straightening out the rim lock, I could not get a round to chamber. I tried many different kinds of ammo, even the stuff that worked flawlessly in my P17, and nothing would chamber.

Then, I tried my PMR-30. What a dream.

Fortunately, the dealer was willing to take the CP33 back. I was happy to pay the restocking fee.

I ended up getting 2 more PMR-30's, one for my gf and one for backup, plus a CMR-30 for our forest adventures (or if TSHTF). I also got the Mcarbo upgrades.

I love all the Kel-Tec's I kept. I don't miss the CP33 at all, but she was the one who brung me to the Kel-Tec ball. For that, she'll always have a place in my heart, kinda like that first girl I kissed. I'm sure glad she introduced me to kissing, but I'm even gladder I'm kissing my present gf now, instead of her.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm an old fart, new gun owner, and joined this group before my CP33 even arrived. Out of all the guns I ordered, I was most excited about my CP33, as you might be able to tell my my icon of the 2 CP33 mags (which I will be changing soon).

After doing more research, I also ordered a P17 and a PMR-30. They all came in at about the same time. When I first went to the range, I brought all 3. I started with the P17, because it was the most simple. Loved it, and still do. Except for some junk ammo, it was wonderful. Even with the junk ammo, some of it fired.

Then I tried the CP33. First of all, loading the mags was terrible, even with the Mcarbo speed loader, which worked great on the PMR-30.

The PMR-30 mags loaded 2-4 times faster than the CP33, with the same speed loader. But that was the least of the problems. First, I had to keep taking rounds out of the CP33 mags and putting them back in, because they would get rim locked. That never happened on the CMR-30.

Then, even after straightening out the rim lock, I could not get a round to chamber. I tried many different kinds of ammo, even the stuff that worked flawlessly in my P17, and nothing would chamber.

Fortunately, the dealer was willing to take the CP33 back. I was happy to pay the restocking fee.

I ended up getting 2 more PMR-30's, one for my gf and one for backup, plus a CMR-30 for our forest adventures (or if TSHTF). I also got the Mcarbo upgrades.

I love all the Kel-Tec's I kept. I don't miss the CP33 at all, but she was the one who brung me to the Kel-Tec ball. For that, she'll always have a place in my heart, kinda like that first girl I kissed. I'm sure glad she introduced me to kissing, but I'm even gladder I'm kissing my present gf now, instead of her.

·
Registered
643 Posts
What a shame you gave up on the CP33.

Yeah, the first round can be a PITA, but pull the bolt back a few times and it does eventually feed.

Getting rim locked after the mag' is loaded is something else. I have only had that happen if I smacked the mag' to make sure all the rounds were to the rear. I did that only once.

The MCarbo loader? Maybe someone has suggested it's use, but in the time I've been on the forum I've never seen it recommended. What is suggested is the NEST speedloader. It doesn't work with all ammo, but for those round nose rounds that it does work with it works flawlessly. I still check for rimlock after using it but it's just a waste of time. It makes me feel good to check though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the first round feed issue, but easily corrected the problem myself. Can't blame you for returning the CP33. All guns should be functional out of the box. I'm still glad I followed subgunner's lead and polished my feed ramp edges, as IMO, there are no comparable substitutes for the CP33 at this time.

Hope you can give another girl like that a second chance.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)

Jerry, welcome to the forum. As a new gun owner I think you present all of us experienced gun owners with an important lesson we tend to forget. When you purchase a gun from a reputable company it should function reasonably well right out of the box. You can make minor changes to make it better fit your needs, but it needs to work, out of the box! You should not need to be a gunsmith or a jet fighter pilot to get it to function. While some on the forum will declare "My gun works so it must be a proven design," it's not! It's a weak design. Don't get me wrong here, I love my CP33. If you can figure out how to make it run somewhat reliably its a great gun to shoot, and does many things very well. But, I should not have to spend more than 6 months trying to make this gun functional reliably, that was Kel-Tecs job, and for that, they have earned an F.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just came back from the range. I can say that the Mcarbo mag release upgrade is the ticket. It locks mag In place no up and down jiggle. What a huge difference 6 mag with one failure to feed. I think that might be the way this mag. It did give some difficulty loading.

Best cp33 session to date. I am goin to clean the mags.

Worth a serious thought

·
Registered
237 Posts

Jerry, I'm with you. I absolutely love my PMR 30 and CMR 30s but the CP33 kind of sucked after using the others. But the CP33 is by my wife's side of bed with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I personally find the CP33 mags easier to load than the PMR mags. I also haven't had any issues with failure to feed the first round with copper plated CCI Mini Mags or CCI AR Tactical ammunition. I do get an occasional failure to feed the first round when using CCI standard or Federal Champion that are NOT copper coated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had several different kinds of 22lr rounds, most of which were copper coated, all 40 grain. None of them would chamber in the CP33.

They all worked in my P17 except for the poly coated ones, which loaded and fired fine, but would not eject. I didn't try them until after I'd been firing a while. I think the gun was getting hot, the poly melted, and that gummed things up.

With the Mcarbo speed loader, the C/PMR-30 mags load in no time. The last few rounds get a little more resistance, but not a lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you try the american nested speed loader?
No. I'm very happy with Mcarbo's. Loading the mags was only one problem on my CP33. Not even chambering was far more of an issue. I returned it and don't miss it. Very happy with my PMR-30's, P17, and my brand new CMR-30.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
I just came back from the range. I can say that the Mcarbo mag release upgrade is the ticket. It locks mag In place no up and down jiggle. What a huge difference 6 mag with one failure to feed. I think that might be the way this mag. It did give some difficulty loading.

Best cp33 session to date. I am goin to clean the mags.

Worth a serious thought
Important post Silverback, I took a look at the Mcarbo website to get a better idea of what they were doing with their latch mod. They claim to raise the mag up higher. This is technically true, but not by very much. The mag's floor plate hitting the bottom of the frame is the limiting factor. If you want to see the amount of mag lift, place a mag in the gun, lock it in place, move it up, now pull it down. That is the amount of rise. This would be helpful because it reduces the angle of chamber entry. I checked my gun and measured about 30 thousands of an inch between the grip frame bottom and the mag floor plate. That very small gap is there to tolerate differences in the production guns and mags. If you reduce that gap to near zero it will raise the mag up a very tiny bit, (a good thing) but will make locking the mag in place more difficult, as you alluded to (I think). So we have two ways of doing the same thing. You can lower the lower edge of the chamber by ramping the entrance or raise the mag up ever so slightly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is all helpful advice, and while I will certainly look at the feed ramp, the mcarbo magazine catch seems to be the path of least resistance, versus any type of modification to the feed ramp - I tend to get too aggressive on that kind of stuff.

I've found that the hotter ammo (CCI Stingers, for example), tend to run better in my CP33 - but then every time I shoot the gun loaded with the Stingers, I'm telling myself that it *should* run OK with any decent quality factory ammo - as with my Ruger MK III. I like KelTec products - I absolutely love shooting my highly-reliable-with-any-kind-of-ammo RDB - but now I'm wondering why KelTec didn't do something with the feed ramp, or the mag catch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is all helpful advice, and while I will certainly look at the feed ramp, the mcarbo magazine catch seems to be the path of least resistance, versus any type of modification to the feed ramp - I tend to get too aggressive on that kind of stuff.

I've found that the hotter ammo (CCI Stingers, for example), tend to run better in my CP33 - but then every time I shoot the gun loaded with the Stingers, I'm telling myself that it *should* run OK with any decent quality factory ammo - as with my Ruger MK III. I like KelTec products - I absolutely love shooting my highly-reliable-with-any-kind-of-ammo RDB - but now I'm wondering why KelTec didn't do something with the feed ramp, or the mag catch.
Part of the issue as far as magazine fit is tolerance stacking. Using a mold to make polymer parts is not as precise as machining or even stamping metal parts. I can see why Kel-Tec has such generous tolerances on the magazine and mag release fit because of this.

I have found that my CP33 prefers 40 grain bullets and copper plated does the best compared to plain lead. Mine will function fine with CCI Standard 40 grain ammo with an occasional problem with the first round feeding (it doesn't happen often). I haven't had issues with any of the 40 grain copper plated ammo that I have tried.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts