Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
They were out of stock on the company website a week ago, but a couple of days ago, I found one on Amazon, and ordered it. Hopefully it works well. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I find the NEST speedloader to work flawlessly with round nosed bullets. Use another bullet nose shape and not so much. I think he wrote something about that on his site? Maybe I read it elsewhere. But that's what I found in testing other bullet shapes. I just looked at the rims, saw potential problems and decided that if I was going to shoot those rounds I would load the mags by hand.

FWIW, bulk Federal Auto Match ammo works fine in mine. But so does CCI Quiet 710fps rounds. I run the bolt a bit wetter than I normally would. The 2 hypersonic types that I've tried has worked so far, Stinger and Aguila Super-Max and I probably won't test anymore due to the longer barrel those rounds need to develop their velocity. But I have yet to extensively test ammo. Thunderbolt with flat SGB bullets (I make them with a jig and file) don't appear to feed worth a hoot but that could be due to a dirty mag'.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you guys store your magazines loaded? Since these magazines take a while to load, it would be nice to just have them ready to go. Since these magazines are a little finicky I'm hesitant to do so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sometimes I do, especially the night before range day. I've been told that leaving mags loaded for long periods really doesn't hurt them, and my own experience seems to support that with other mags.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Was wondering the same. For years I’ve loaded my PMR/CMR mags to 25 and left them this way til needed. Never had an issue.

But transparent plastic usually isn’t as durable, Magpul has said this for years as the reason they don’t do transparent AR mags. And even their AR mags will occasionally split. Not a big deal on a $10 mag but unacceptable for a $50 mag.

I think I’ll leave mine empty for now and load em up the day before a range trip. See how they hold up.

When CZ had issues with their transparent Scorpion Evo mags they replaced em at no cost, no questions, no matter how old. I think KT would do the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm hoping someone in the aftermarket will jump in and start making cheaper mags for these. Some 10 round singlestack ones would be great for competition, too!. After using the Nest loader for a few thousand rounds, I'm not sure the mags even need to be clear- just a window somewhere to see how full it is would be fine. I've stopped bothering to even check for rimlocks, they just work. ( As long as they're clean, and right ammo, etc) Hmm, maybe it's time to work on learning CAD a bit better...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Again, all you guys need to avoid such failures is American Speedloaders' Nest loaders for CP-33 and/or PMR/CMR-30. I have bought both and I had ZERO malfunctions since then.

Reactions: silverback

·
Registered
644 Posts
After using the Nest loader for a few thousand rounds, I'm not sure the mags even need to be clear- just a window somewhere to see how full it is would be fine. I've stopped bothering to even check for rimlocks, they just work. ( As long as they're clean, and right ammo, etc) Hmm, maybe it's time to work on learning CAD a bit better...
Again, all you guys need to avoid such failures is American Speedloaders' Nest loaders for CP-33 and/or PMR/CMR-30. I have bought both and I had ZERO malfunctions since then.
Yup, they work and pretty much negate the slow loading issue as long as loading a round per second is acceptable.

I have one mag loaded with 18 rounds as I write (just because that's when I stopped shooting, it's not a magical number) and it's been that way for 2 weeks. I don't expect problems. But typically I have a .22 loaded throughout the warmer months for whatever decides to pick on my animals, this is the mag test for making the cp33 my new verminator.

Would I ever keep a fully loaded mag? For vermination that's just not required. In fact 10 rounds is many more than required for the verminator, and with the use a NEST loader I just don't see the need.

As far as someone 3rd party stepping up with a lower priced mag? When do patents expire? After 20 years? KelTec has a patent on it so don't hold your breath. Maybe KT will cut us some slack and lower the price and maybe not. But they don't need to. With every cp33 sold today they have a captive market for something only they can supply. Someone could step up and supply a smaller capacity mag that doesn't infringe their patent but then it would be the same as any other .22 handgun, so where's the magic in that? (OK, yeah, I know, there's lots more going on with the gun than just capacity.)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well since there’s never been any aftermarket PMR/CMR mags I’m not expecting any other CP33 options either. Would love to see a ‘heavy duty’ steel mag but not if it’s $70-$80 a pop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've only had mine a month or so.

I have no tolerance for ill-functioning guns. If I can't make the gun work (without adjustments to feed ramps)... Off it goes to the sales block.

33rd or not... I don't have the patience to fight with it.

I have dozens of .22lr handguns and rifles. When I acquire one that is high maintenance (doesn't function due to finicky ammo needs or poor design)... I sell them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've only had mine a month or so.

I have no tolerance for ill-functioning guns. If I can't make the gun work (without adjustments to feed ramps)... Off it goes to the sales block.

33rd or not... I don't have the patience to fight with it.

I have dozens of .22lr handguns and rifles. When I acquire one that is high maintenance (doesn't function due to finicky ammo needs or poor design)... I sell them.
IowaShooter, I certainly can't blame you for having that attitude. When you buy a gun or anything for that matter you expect it to function as intended or expected. The CP33 barely functions right out of the box. The mag design is weak and finicky. When I shoot the CP33 I remove the gun and one mag from my bag and some tools to clear the expected mag jams! Hint, Hint, I get to use the tools every time. Either don't put the product out or warn buyers in advance that this is a troublesome product, none of which will happen in the real world. We the end users are the ones having to warn others of the inherent problems with this product. I like the basic concept of this gun and I am willing, when possible to put in the extra work to make it function correctly. KelTec has a well earned reputation for incomplete designs and finicky products. The CP33 will be my last KelTec product. It is not my job to re-engineer their product to make it function correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today at the range was totally horrific. I had a failure to battery every single bullet. No magazine problems. Occasionally a bullet would also fly out and jam in the action sideways. I could not fire two rounds in a row. Every time I would shoot the round would half feed into the chamber, like the spring is not strong enough to put it into battery. Guns not dirty, I clean it every time I am done shooting. I also lube the groves every time I shoot. I might need to send this in to KTec.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Today at the range was totally horrific. I had a failure to battery every single bullet. No magazine problems. Occasionally a bullet would also fly out and jam in the action sideways. I could not fire two rounds in a row. Every time I would shoot the round would half feed into the chamber, like the spring is not strong enough to put it into battery. Guns not dirty, I clean it every time I am done shooting. I also lube the groves every time I shoot. I might need to send this in to KTec.
Your problem is typical for this gun. First I suggest trying some different types of round nose ammo. Remington Thunder Bolt is highly recommended. If that does not solve the problem then ramp the barrel chamber as I describe in the beginning of this thread. Ramping really helps a lot, but don't overdue it. Good Luck

·
Registered
448 Posts
Your problem is typical for this gun. First I suggest trying some different types of round nose ammo. Remington Thunder Bolt is highly recommended. If that does not solve the problem then ramp the barrel chamber as I describe in the beginning of this thread. Ramping really helps a lot, but don't overdue it. Good Luck
I do not think it is typical. If it were there would be thousands of complaints. I have yet to have a single issue with mine after thousands of rounds without using special ammo or mucking with the feed ramp. Even subsonic rounds feed and cycle flawlessly. Not to say some people are not having some issues because obviously they are, but it certainly is not typical.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If that's typical then I have an atypical CP33 because I never have any issues when I feed mine the right ammo and the gun is clean. But that's typical .22, each one can be touchy with certain brands and .22 loads.

A dirty gun is the fault of the user and I've been having moderate problems with mine lately, but the problem was easily felt when pulling back on the charging handle. It still functioned but it clearly wasn't happy when I'd load the first round. I'd been shooting lots of suppressed rounds and that really gunks up the innards. The crud from the filthy .22s could be felt as grit in the action. Too, I was having problems pulling back on the charging handle to cock the gun. I knew it needed cleaning and took care of that today. Cleaning it took care of all the issues. Now it's as smooth as silk once more.

Isaac I understand that wasn't your issue. It sux when a gun malfunctions. Have you tried different ammunition? I tried a decade+ old Thunderbolt ammo and they simply wouldn't feed at all. Yet todays current production Thunderbolt feeds nicely from all reports.

After cleaning and lubing it I took the gun along, slung cross body, when the wife and I went for todays walk on the road. We're rural and guns are no big deal, so no issues. People always see me carrying a slung gun when going for a walk. Now in a democrat hellhole or a built up area with hoplophobes it could be a problem. I absolutely love where I live. My CP33 is reliable enough (100%) that I trust our persons to it. I carry it for protection from rabid animals of which I've killed a number over the years. If I had any reservations about it's reliability I'd bring something else along instead.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I do not think it is typical. If it were there would be thousands of complaints. I have yet to have a single issue with mine after thousands of rounds without using special ammo or mucking with the feed ramp. Even subsonic rounds feed and cycle flawlessly. Not to say some people are not having some issues because obviously they are, but it certainly is not typical.
Typical - informal definition
showing the characteristics expected of or popularly associated with a particular person, situation, or thing
My use of the word was correct just read the problem threads in this forum and watch YouTube video reviews of the CP33. Just in the event you missed them it is almost exclusively mag loading and feeding issues. Especially the first round from the mag, aggravated by certain bullet shapes and cartridge lengths. It is mentioned so often that it can correctly be seen as typical of this design. If you or a few others have CP33's that function perfectly right out of the box with any ammo it is your guns that I would consider A-typical. Just the fact that the CP33's can vary so much in production is an issue and indicates erratic quality control. My comments were made to help Isaac with his problem gun and not to malign those few that have a correctly functioning CP33 displaying Glock like realiability.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is an issue with feeding the first round from a fully loaded mag' with my CP33 also, but repeated pulling back on the operating handle eventually gets it into the chamber. Or as I did today, load the first one by hand or from a less than full mag' gets it done. The key is to get a round into the chamber. Then load the full mag' and normal function of the gun will load the first round out of that full mag. By slingshoting the bolt we lack something that firing the gun imparts. It's energy that's lacking. Maybe the bolt is bouncing off of the buffer? Lots of guns have their idiosyncrasies and since KT makes cutting edge designs one needs to figure out how best to work with them and not try to get them to function as we think they should.

But from what I read in Isaacs post he was having other issues. It would be nice to be there to see exactly what's going on. Otherwise all we can do is guess. I dislike guessing but what else can we do?

Isaac, have you tried other loads and bullet shapes? I started a thread about what ammo works. Have you tried any of the ones folks have stated work in their guns?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
There is an issue with feeding the first round from a fully loaded mag' with my CP33 also, but repeated pulling back on the operating handle eventually gets it into the chamber. Or as I did today, load the first one by hand or from a less than full mag' gets it done. The key is to get a round into the chamber. Then load the full mag' and normal function of the gun will load the first round out of that full mag. By slingshoting the bolt we lack something that firing the gun imparts. It's energy that's lacking. Maybe the bolt is bouncing off of the buffer? Lots of guns have their idiosyncrasies and since KT makes cutting edge designs one needs to figure out how best to work with them and not try to get them to function as we think they should.

But from what I read in Isaacs post he was having other issues. It would be nice to be there to see exactly what's going on. Otherwise all we can do is guess. I dislike guessing but what else can we do?

Isaac, have you tried other loads and bullet shapes? I started a thread about what ammo works. Have you tried any of the ones folks have stated work in their guns?
Thank You BJK for helping to illustrating my point. These feeding issues are typical of the CP33. I have found that ramping the lower chamber mouth will reduce this problem greatly when using compatible ammo, note I said compatible ammo. If you examine the situation carefully you will see that the front edge of the case is getting hung up on the lower edge of the chamber while the bullet tip is smashing into the upper inside of the chamber. When you ramp the chamber you change the entrance angle for the cartridge and that changes everything. After ramping I no longer have any first round fail to feed problems. I no longer have to slingshot my first round in, I use the frame mounted slide release and it works every time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thank You BJK for helping to illustrating my point. These feeding issues are typical of the CP33. I have found that ramping the lower chamber mouth will reduce this problem greatly when using compatible ammo, note I said compatible ammo. If you examine the situation carefully you will see that the front edge of the case is getting hung up on the lower edge of the chamber while the bullet tip is smashing into the upper inside of the chamber. When you ramp the chamber you change the entrance angle for the cartridge and that changes everything. After ramping I no longer have any first round fail to feed problems. I no longer have to slingshot my first round in, I use the frame mounted slide release and it works every time.
Actually in my gun it doesn't get far enough out of the magazine to do any of what you wrote. I don't doubt that ramping helped your feed issues though; it certainly won't hurt. I wonder if my recoil spring is lighter than spec'? Mine also cycles when using low powered subsonic CCI ammo too (768fps?) and I never expected that it would.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)

Thank You BJK for helping to illustrating my point. These feeding issues are typical of the CP33. I have found that ramping the lower chamber will reduce this problem greatly when using compatible ammo, note I said compatible ammo. If you examine the situation carefully you will see that the front edge of the case is getting hung up on the lower edge of the chamber while the bullet tip is smashing into the upper inside of the chamber. When you ramp the chamber you change the entrance angle for the cartridge and that changes everything. After ramping I no longer have any first round fail to feed problems. I no longer have to slingshot my first round in, I use the frame mounted slide release and it works every time.
Actually in my gun it doesn't get far enough out of the magazine to do any of what you wrote. I don't doubt that ramping helped your feed issues though; it certainly won't hurt. I wonder if my recoil spring is lighter than spec'? Mine also cycles when using low powered subsonic CCI ammo too (768fps?) and I never expected that it would.
You may be suffering with magazine friction issues. A mag that has 200 rounds through it without cleaning is going to be dry and coated with carbon around the feed lips. Clean your mags frequently and very lightly lube with WD40. Shoot new stock Remington ThunderBolt ammo. The complete cartridge is coated with a high lubricity coating, its very slick, you can feel it. Check that the top cartridge is angled properly as I described at the top of this thread. Regarding the recoil spring, it is the least likely thing to be causing the problem. Those springs are made by machine and are expected to be with in a certain tolerance. The only time I have encountered big variances in springs is when they are made in small quantiles on a hand operated machine. Does that mean it is guaranteed not to be a spring problem, no its just less likely. But, you may be correct, if the gun functions correctly with very low power ammo it could be a weak spring. Low power ammo should cause failure to eject and erratic feeding when the mag is fully loaded. I hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts