Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What brand supressor if anyone has an idea of the best( i.e. light weight and most effective) .

Also is it best to use a 22lr only suppressor or one for larger caliber?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well, you can save a bunch of $ if you go with one designed to run on a bunch of different guns/cartridges. But that can won't be the smallest or lightest.

I run a Dead Air Ghost-M on .22s but the can will work on many cartridges up to .45 caliber. The .45 has far more gas and must be designed around that, so it's much bigger than needed for .22. I can remove the last 1/3 (approx') of the can and use it in it's short mode and it's just as effective for .22 that way. But it's still bigger than a can specifically designed for .22 rimfire. One advantage to the Ghost is that I can put HK 3 lug adapters on my barrels and change the can from gun to gun in seconds. There are .22 cans that have an adapter option but they are proprietary. HK 3 lug adapters won't work on .22 specific cans.

Because it has a user replaceable rubber end wipe (destroy the old one before making a new one, there are specifics I won't go into here) the fit between bullet and end wipe is good so sound suppression is good also. An end wipe isn't required but it's louder without one.

Using subsonic ammo and not all ammo is subsonic out of a handgun, I can be 10 yards away and the shot is extremely quiet, hellywood quiet. The bullet impact and action of the gun is louder than the shot itself.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sorry the ghost an also handle 223, 7.62x39 and 357 magnum?
Good question. Some I can answer and some I can't.

The Ghost can handle handgun cartridges and subsonic bottleneck cartridges like the .300BLK. It won't handle full pressure 5.56; I wouldn't hesitate to use it for subsonic 5.56. I don't know about .357 Mag but no one in their right mind would try to silence a revolver because of the barrel/cyl' gap. I only know of one semi-auto .357, maybe there are more? But it makes no difference, I still don't know. I would contact Dead Air and ask if I had the need, or I'd check the website. Last I looked the list was quite long if my memory serves me. Neither will it handle 7.62x39 full pressure rounds.

Understand this is a CP33 forum and I'm going far afield... The Ghost comes apart for cleaning and that's a hallmark of cans that can handle dirty rounds. Basically .22 and handguns that use lead bullets. Since they come apart they generally can't handle high pressures. Cans that are high pressure capable are one piece and stay clean by being fired until they are hot and the crud flies out the muzzle. I'm no expert but that's what I think I've noticed in can design, there might be exceptions.

So far I use the Ghost for .22, and 9mm. There is the potential for more, but I don't have the barrels yet and might never. While it's .300BLK capable that cartridge has it's own dedicated can in my safe and is just waiting for the rest of the equation to arrive. The rest has been on order now for 40 months as of 10 days ago, but who's counting? :D (I'm starting to get pissed off every time I think about it and I'm told "You'll have it soon.".) I never thought that the can would come out of the ATF holding cell before I got what it screws onto. Why a dedicated can? Because the .300BLK can also be supersonic with high pressure and I'd be sure to forget and touch some off with the wrong can on the muzzle and destroy it. Plus the "right" can makes the gun look like there is almost no can at all. It only adds 4" to the OAL of the gun. Most of the can length covers part of the barrel and is hidden by a fat foreend.

Ghost on the CP33. I think it's in the short configuration but I don't remember. Looks like it's short though. It's much larger than a "real" .22 can.

Dedicated .30 can on the gun it'll live on, but here living on a .223.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
357 would be in a lever action rifle. No way on a revolver
I have seen some videos on 357 lever guns supressed and very quiet with 38 loads

·
Registered
644 Posts
That would get rid of the cylinder gap problem. To see if the Ghost will handle .357 go to the dead air site. If it isn't listed send them an inquiry and tell them what you plan to do. The long barrel makes it more doable because of the pressure drop.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think I am going with the oss 22lr supressor.
Just curious... do you know what the wait time is now? For all of my ATF registered items it's always been 6 months but I've heard of much longer wait times and I have no idea what it is today.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea either. I plan to wait until their covid 19 is over to see what the situation is like. Besides it will give me time to save up for it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What brand supressor if anyone has an idea of the best( i.e. light weight and most effective) .

Also is it best to use a 22lr only suppressor or one for larger caliber?
I was going to go with the Dead Air - Mask which is good for 22 22 mag 17HMR and I think 5.7, but I found a local dealer with a Sig Srd22x that was too nice a price to pass up.

the Sig doesn’t do 5.7 but I don’t see myself ever getting one so it wasn’t a deal breaker. I haven’t shot it yet but at least on paper and in online reviews, it’s supposed to be very nice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going with oss because they are safer at the ear for larger calibers. Here is testing for sound suppression at the barrel. The lack of back pressure helps with function.
You should check his sound tests of larger calibers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run a taper mount Griffin Optimus Micro on my .22 center and rim fire guns. It is truly disgusting how much crud a few hundred .22lr deposit on the baffles. There's very little accumulation if I put a couple of mags of .223 through it every hundred rimfire rounds though. Otherwise it takes a prolonged bath in 50/50 peroxide/vinegar to get the baffles clean.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been thinking a lot about picking my first can up for a while specifically for my CP33 mostly. I have been wanting a .357MAG Surpressed Henry X in my collection as well potentially to use for whitetail - most of my game I take within 75yds, usually around 50yds so I think it would be more than adequate. Would you suppressor owners say you notice a large difference when you purchase a can for your specific caliber vs a larger bore? I have to imagine a dedicated .22 can that can take up to 5.7x28mm would sound much better than something that can shoot 3.57MAG but I am not sure of its something that makes a difference to the user or just the decibel meter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 22 can specific, then a can I use on other calibers. The 22 caliber is crazy dirty. The other calibers shoot hot enough it keeps those cans clean

that’s my 2 cents

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you want the quietest possible get a dedicated caliber can. If you're willing to accept a bit more sound to save $ and waiting time then get a versatile can. It will be louder when shooting smaller bullets through a can with a larger bore.

I followed my own advice and bought a Dead Air Ghost-M .45 can and use it all the way down to .22 rimfire. It's huge for a .22 can, but that's the way it goes. I went into the purchase with open eyes and I accept the additional size and sound.

I can't hear the difference when I shoot the CP33 so I wasn't sure just how loud it was. So I asked someone else to shoot while I backed off approx' 15 yards. Using subsonic ammo I've heard air rifles that were significantly louder. It was also being used in it's long configuration.

I suspect that with larger calibers there would be more of a difference.

Sorry, but that's the best I can answer your question. My ear would need access to lots of cans to compare them to give a better answer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Way easier to clean the monocore type system. Take the whole thing apart, spray some cleaner, blow it with the air gun and wipe it down.
Takes a minute or so

1 - 19 of 19 Posts