Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The plastic mags are being asked to do too much. They are quad-stacked (unheard of!), they are expected to act as the handgun's feed ramp, and they hold 33 (or 50) rounds. The biggest problem is the fact that you can hardly find them for less than $50 each, so it really hurts when you lose one for whatever reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The plastic mags are being asked to do too much. They are quad-stacked (unheard of!), they are expected to act as the handgun's feed ramp, and they hold 33 (or 50) rounds. The biggest problem is the fact that you can hardly find them for less than $50 each, so it really hurts when you lose one for whatever reason.
Well, for me at leat, Keltec did replace my cracked mag for free.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, maybe not a cleaning, but at least lube it with oil designed not for shipping but actual use.

FWIW, mine requires a few hits to get the first round in the chamber, then after that the entire mag functions fine. One solution would be not to run the run the gun "dry" but leave one in the chamber, then put the full mag behind it.

edit: Fed' auto-match works fine in mine, but 25 year old Thunderbolt doesn't.
Yes, the only problem I had with my CP33 is with that first round not going into the tube and hanging up, half way in! After that first round was inserted, it ran without a flaw! This kept happening but I finally found out that after working through several shooting sessions, it started to load the first round every time and I think it was that the magazine just needed work/break in! I also found out that this gun has No feed ramp and the magazine has the feed ramp, so by using it over and over, it started to work every time and no more problems with that first round hanging up! I also found out that the best ammo to use is the CCI Mini Mag 40 grain round nose copper plated and I have had no Issues using this ammo. I also purchased a auto loader from "LUDEX" and it is so easy and loads these mags with no issues. I tried using a folding stock & a red dot sight but they did not work for me and I returned both and I now use my factory stock sights and everything works great with no Issues! I also purchased the 17 round extension with another magazine and it's a lot of fun shooting that 50 round magazine(y) at the range!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was not too happy with those plastic mags at first but I also purchased another one and put one of those 17 round extensions on it and after a short break in period everything works great with no failures at all! I also purchased on of those auto loaders by "LUDEX" and it lodes these mags perfect every time! I'm keeping everything Stock with no Brace or red dot sights and I only use CCI Mini Mags in 40 grain copper clad round nose ammo with no failures at all!(y)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had my tongue in my cheek when I said that the magazines were being asked to do too much. The point I was trying to make was that they were the product of some pretty amazing engineering and probably should be given some credit for the overall design. People were complaining about them for reasons that mostly are their doing. I would rather have a feed ramp in the firearm, though. I guess irony is not a thing anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why do you think it was the speedloader? Is there undo stress in that area? Like when you push down?
i don't have a broken magazine but i do not think that these magazines are designed to be used with speed loaders. They aren't even faster either because they tend to cause rimlock. When you push down on the follower its pretty clear from the sound and from the movement of the cartridges, plus the random rimlocks, that you are subjecting the magazine to forces that it was not designed to be subjected to.

I bought a speedloader before i even received my cp-33 because i read a multitude of people recommending it, including videos on how to load the magazines. I only had issues depressing the follower when the magazines were brand new - and I only had rimlock on the first 100 or so rounds through each of the magazines. i think that this gun in particular has a bad reputation from people who bought one and only shot a magazine out of it and then gave up, because that's the only explanation i can come up with for why someone told me the magazines are impossible to load by hand

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just had 4 mags crack. Two at the rear corners of feed lips and two at the base where base slips over the mag.
Kel tec promptly sent replacements no questions asked.

I would serious like it if they made metal mags and beefed up the charging handles. I have been through two already. The two Achilles heel if this platform.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My go to ammo has been the thunderbolt. Finding them locally almost impossible. Federal autimatch 40 grain 325 round vull pack abundant. I picked up two boxes. To test. The federal i has issues with was federal american eagle.

I just came back from range testing. Glad to find another 40 grain that works. It performed well in the cp33 and p17. I had several light strikes with cp33 with 3 mags but p17 only one in ten mags.

Nice to find ammo locally!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hope this helps future cp33 owners...had same problems with feed and jamming problems cleaned lubed again and again. Finally took others advice and shot 100 rounds through this pistol. Guess it finally broke in as have not had any issues with 1000 plus rounds Great gun...lots of fun!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts