Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for 7 months, I hated my CP33. I had a Farrowtech brace on it and M*Carbo accessories but I could never get it to feed reliably through a magazine. I tried everything. Polish feed ramps, new M*Carbo mag release, extra cleaning, and lube, I tried all kinds of different ammo, standard velocity, high velocity but mostly Winchester white box because I had thousands of rounds stored up. Well, then something happens...

I finally got my dedicated form1 suppressor approved and popped it on there and tried out some sub-sonic 22LR. All of a sudden it worked. Mag after mag. So I thought more about what was going on. Yes, extra back pressure was helping cycle the slide a little harder but my issues were rounds always nose-dived in the mag. Not the gun malfunctioning, barring some oddball crap 22 get bent or something. All 22LR will have issues sometimes, it's cheap. Even with my dead reliable customn10/22, that's like 1 malfunction every couple of thousands of rounds of the cheap white box.

So what was causing the issue? I dug deeper. I noticed the OAL of subsonic usually was longer. I measured and sure enough .997 to 1". Well then I started messing with the gun with the suppressor off and on and with OAL's. If the round was .996" and above it would not nose dive, regardless if the suppressor is on or off. I have now gone through thousands of rounds of the cheap, expensive, bulk, match, anything you can think of but with a longer OAL. All now work perfectly. I think the nose dives are all about OAL. Nothing else solved the issues and just going to a longer OAL solved it. I also thought the brace maybe was causing issues but no it seems to be solved now.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
So what was causing the issue? I dug deeper. I noticed the OAL of subsonic usually was longer. I measured and sure enough .997 to 1". Well then I started messing with the gun with the suppressor off and on and with OAL's. If the round was .996" and above it would not nose dive, regardless if the suppressor is on or off. I have now gone through thousands of rounds of the cheap, expensive, bulk, match, anything you can think of but with a longer OAL. All now work perfectly. I think the nose dives are all about OAL. Nothing else solved the issues and just going to a longer OAL solved it. I also thought the brace maybe was causing issues but no it seems to be solved now.
Makes sense and it's great you solved the problem. I've only used 40g round nose Mini-Mags and they have been 100%, just checked and they measure .98 OAL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good information.

I have always stuck with Aquila Super Extra 40Gr RN, CCI Mini Mags and CCI AR Tactical ammo in my CP33 and all have worked well. So far the AR Tactical is the most accurate of the three.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So for 7 months, I hated my CP33. I had a Farrowtech brace on it and M*Carbo accessories but I could never get it to feed reliably through a magazine. I tried everything. Polish feed ramps, new M*Carbo mag release, extra cleaning, and lube, I tried all kinds of different ammo, standard velocity, high velocity but mostly Winchester white box because I had thousands of rounds stored up. Well, then something happens...

I finally got my dedicated form1 suppressor approved and popped it on there and tried out some sub-sonic 22LR. All of a sudden it worked. Mag after mag. So I thought more about what was going on. Yes, extra back pressure was helping cycle the slide a little harder but my issues were rounds always nose-dived in the mag. Not the gun malfunctioning, barring some oddball crap 22 get bent or something. All 22LR will have issues sometimes, it's cheap. Even with my dead reliable customn10/22, that's like 1 malfunction every couple of thousands of rounds of the cheap white box.

I had same problem with shorter bullets. The Remington Thunderbolts work great after the 1st one loads. I'm still having first load problems. Usually, I insert mag pull back charger it doesn't load properly I remove mag reinsert mag then pull charger it loads and can shoot the entire mag. I tried hollow points NO Good!

·
Registered
4 Posts
$562.00 for this brand new piece of junk less than a week ago. Read the manually, loaded correctly, loaded 2 mags, put it away half way through the second mag. 100% unreliable gun at first impression. Federal Auotmatch and Remington Thunderbolts. My first Kel-Tec. Now this ridiculous battle begins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
$562.00 for this brand new piece of junk less than a week ago. Read the manually, loaded correctly, loaded 2 mags, put it away half way through the second mag. 100% unreliable gun at first impression. Federal Auotmatch and Remington Thunderbolts. My first Kel-Tec. Now this ridiculous battle begins.
Sounds familiar, once you sort it you will love it like most who own a CP33. Either have Kel Tec fix it or follow the guides on here and smooth out the top of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Part of the problem is the ammo you are using. Neither one is known for quality. If you use good quality ammo and you are 100% loading het mags correctly and are still having issues then contact Kel-Tec.

Here is what you want the magazine to look like when fully loaded. It is very important to get this correct.

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Art Metal

Another trick is to load the mags to full capacity and let them sit a day or two. Then unload them and reload them and let them sit again. Doing this a few times does help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah but it's disappointing and I don't want to have to buy more ammo. I have 10,000 rounds of it. Different brands that I can try but still..... The whole point of buying this gun was to be able to affordably shoot and have fun with it. I was ready to throw it. I know the thunderbolts are filthy and I was trying to blow through those first. I just shot it at lunch and my issue seems to be the bolt is moving too slow to full load the round and not hitting hard enought o fully load the next round. I have to gently pull the charging handle back a bit one or 2 times to get the round in the chamber. Maybe it's just greasy and nees a good clean and relube? Shot it right out of the box. Never cleaned it yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah but it's disappointing and I don't want to have to buy more ammo. I have 10,000 rounds of it. Different brands that I can try but still..... The whole point of buying this gun was to be able to affordably shoot and have fun with it. I was ready to throw it. I know the thunderbolts are filthy and I was trying to blow through those first. I just shot it at lunch and my issue seems to be the bolt is moving too slow to full load the round and not hitting hard enought o fully load the next round. I have to gently pull the charging handle back a bit one or 2 times to get the round in the chamber. Maybe it's just greasy and nees a good clean and relube? Shot it right out of the box. Never cleaned it yet.
From the sounds of it, you have a few things going on. One is the ammo you are using. The other things to look at is the feed ramp and also if the magazine is sitting correctly in the frame. While I have not had any issues with mine, it can be a problem with the magazine latch not holding the mag high enough.

And along with being dirty, Thunderbolts have earned the nickname of thunder duds for a reason. Same goes for the Federal Auto-match. Neither are known for their quality.

I have always stuck with Aquila Super Extra 40Gr RN, CCI Mini Mags and CCI AR Tactical ammo in my CP33 and all have worked well. CCI Standard 40Gr RN and Federal Champion 40Gr RN has worked fine in my CP33 too.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah, maybe not a cleaning, but at least lube it with oil designed not for shipping but actual use.

FWIW, mine requires a few hits to get the first round in the chamber, then after that the entire mag functions fine. One solution would be not to run the run the gun "dry" but leave one in the chamber, then put the full mag behind it.

edit: Fed' auto-match works fine in mine, but 25 year old Thunderbolt doesn't.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any new-to-me gun gets field stripped, cleaned and appropriately lubed before it goes to the range. You never know what crud is left inside the gun until you check. I've had metal shavings appear as well as grease in chambers and fire control groups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sent it back to KelTec, they replaced the barrel?!?!, Polished the feed ramp, and replaced one Magazine?!?!. I haven't had a lot of time to test, but when I got it back, I had one mag fire flawlessy, then one that still jammed repeatedly. The gun has been completely cleaned and lubed. Just have to play around with it a bit and maybe send it back again?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sent it back to KelTec, they replaced the barrel?!?!, Polished the feed ramp, and replaced one Magazine?!?!. I haven't had a lot of time to test, but when I got it back, I had one mag fire flawlessy, then one that still jammed repeatedly. The gun has been completely cleaned and lubed. Just have to play around with it a bit and maybe send it back again?
Look at the problem magazine very, very closely in the region (side & rear) of the ammo load for one or more very small cracks in the casing Me and others had our magazines crack and we suspect it was caused by those American Speed loaders. Once the magazine cracks weapon feeding fails repeatedly and the magazine is useless and must be replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
From the sounds of it, you have a few things going on. One is the ammo you are using. The other things to look at is the feed ramp and also if the magazine is sitting correctly in the frame. While I have not had any issues with mine, it can be a problem with the magazine latch not holding the mag high enough.

And along with being dirty, Thunderbolts have earned the nickname of thunder duds for a reason. Same goes for the Federal Auto-match. Neither are known for their quality.

I have always stuck with Aquila Super Extra 40Gr RN, CCI Mini Mags and CCI AR Tactical ammo in my CP33 and all have worked well. CCI Standard 40Gr RN and Federal Champion 40Gr RN has worked fine in my CP33 too.
This gun likes to run wet. Spray it down good with CLP every other clip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look at the problem magazine very, very closely in the region (side & rear) of the ammo load for one or more very small cracks in the casing Me and others had our magazines crack and we suspect it was caused by those American Speed loaders. Once the magazine cracks weapon feeding fails repeatedly and the magazine is useless and must be replaced.
Here's a photograph of my CP33 magazine with the subtle crack.
Tableware Liquid Drinkware Fluid Plastic bottle

1 - 20 of 30 Posts