CP33 mag loading issues

Discussion in 'CP33 22 LR Semi-auto Pistol' started by rastoboy, Jul 31, 2019.

1. rastoboy

rastoboy Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Anybody else had issues getting the mag loaded *properly*? Sometimes I load it up and it's flawless. But maybe 1 in 4 or 5 times "something happens" and I'll notice it gets slightly harder to load the rounds, and there is no looking back from there--nothing will feed right, and the only thing to do is unload the magazine.

I *think* I see that it's loaded properly (see video below) but clearly I am doing something wrong and I can't figure out what. I contacted KT about it but frankly they were useless, sending me form emails and not paying attention to what I sent them. Any input would be appreciated!

(secondary note, anybody found a good way to unload this sucker? Honestly I'd be thrilled if they came out with a 10 round mag with a nice button to pull down the follower like all other .22 target pistol mags. The gun is good enough for that (and this is coming from a High Standard fiend).

2. hilljack

hilljack Active Member

Jan 21, 2005
    I don't have too much trouble with mine. Sometimes the mags get a little hard to load. I smack the back side of the mag on the palm of my hand, and the rounds seem to settle in. Loading is easy again after that.

3. rastoboy

rastoboy Member

Mar 9, 2005
    hmmm, well clearly this is not a common problem. i'm thinking it *might* be that i have a tendency to not push each round back all the way, depending on the next round to push it back. studying this mag, i think that may result in the previous round not being horizontal properly.

4. silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Just keep in mind push round in and back.

I never really have an issue unless I am rushing or not paying attention.

5. maltise

maltise Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Certain ammo will do that, but have not had that happen since I found the 1k black pack Winchester.

6. rastoboy

rastoboy Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Honestly, I'm finding it finicky enough that I'm inclined to sell the gun while I can still get something like what I paid for it. I'm rather eagerly looking forward to version 2 in a couple years.

Honestly, if it could take a standard style 10 round .22 mag, I'd be delighted with it. The gun is shockingly good as far as shooting goes. And while a bunch of rounds is fun, it's also a pain to load and takes a lot of time to do so.

7. gunnut123

gunnut123 Member

Aug 15, 2015
    I found mine loves thunder bolt , if it gets hard to load with other brands I try I find the bullets are a little to long , the nose will be dragging , I tried some federal match ammo bulk box and it will run them but have a problem , normally the first rd but runs ok , but loooooooves thunder bolt

8. silverback

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Yep plus one on thunderbolt

9. maltise

maltise Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I have heard from a few people that the Thunderbolt casings can crack at the indention on casing leaving a ring of brass inside the barrel. The next round loads and fires through the ring causing the barrel to bulge. For this reason I use the 1,000 round black pack Winchester from Walmart for $40. They work just as good as the Thunderbolts. Like you said some brands cause the bullets to tilt downwards and do not feed well at all.

10. gunnut123

gunnut123 Member

Aug 15, 2015
    have not heard about the casings splitting , will have to watch that

11. silverback

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Same here. I have shot several thousand round with various 22 guns never seen anything like that. Good to know.

12. gunnut123

gunnut123 Member

Aug 15, 2015
    unloading mag is easy , point gun at target , pull trigger , unloads in just a few seconds , fun to

13. area51guy

area51guy Member

Oct 27, 2019
    area51guy here, new member!
    I just acquired a CP33 pistol and have only been to the range once with it so far. The first thing I did was check the sight adjustment by loading 10 rds only. Once I was satisfied with the sights, I added a Sig red dot and repeated the adjustment routine. Finally, I started loading 25 rds at a time. After a couple of tries, I found that by making sure the top round was properly installed and seated all the way back, I stopped having issues with the loading process. Finally, I loaded each mag with 30 rds. without any problems. One thing that I learned was to use the next round to fully push the last round all the way to the rear. Doing so makes the process almost painless! I also learned to use a very small allen wrench to lift the nose of a round if it got pushed too far down. Simply hold the long leg and slide the short leg under the offending round and lift up. Piece of cake! The most I could get in either magazine was 32 rds, not 33. Will have to work on that! I also found that the CP33 worked well with anything except for the Winchester black box bulk ammo. It seemed to be just slightly too long and would tend to jam in the mag. I found the gun to be quite accurate and easy to shoot. The only feeding issues that I had were two smoke stack failure to eject events. That happened while using Winchester hi speed ammo from the red plastic box. Everything else fed, fired and ejected perfectly. So far, I am very pleased with this one!

14. 90volvo

90volvo Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Well I picked up cp33 last week. I love shooting 22lr handguns. Ive been a keltec fan and own Sub2000. I will say that this design has problems. Ive ran CCI mini mags threw the gun. Ive had it rimlock on me twice. Failure to feed about once every magazine. Ive shot 600 rounds threw it. I took it back to the gun smith that I purchased it from. He loaded and shot it. He had problems. His advice was shoot a 1000 rounds threw it, dont load mags all the way up and carry a small screwdriver with you so you can fix loads in magazine. Well after 600 rounds it isnt any better. When the magazine jams up its a real pain to empty it. I love the design but. The gun shop said they could send it back to keltec. I am diffently disappointed. Im also looking for any advice on how I can fix the issues. I own a GSG firefly, it had feeding problems but I polished the ramp and fixed it.

15. maltise

maltise Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The gun is picky on ammo. Get a box of thunderbolts and see what it does. Mine did the same until I found ammo it liked. If your ammo starts to nose down in the magazine you will have issues.

Liberty4Ever likes this.
  16. 90volvo

90volvo Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Sorry to mention but I did try the thunderbolts but I will go buy another box and try it out. I understand if I was running bulk ammo but CCI minimags are what most recommend. I also tried some aguila high velocity with no luck too. Anyways I appreciate you sharing info. Will keep ya all posted. I really like the idea having a 30+ round gun and the trigger is great and its very accuarate. Id rather had a 15 round mag that was reliable then finicky 30+ mag. Im hoping a co. steps in and makes a good solid mag for it.

17. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I think Kel-Tec has a patent on their very innovative quad stack magazine so I doubt that another company is going to make after market magazines for the CP33.

I originally had good luck with the CCI Mini-Mag ammo but okriii told me they were slightly too long to feed in his mags. The next time I went out I had the same problem where the nose would drag and the round would nose dive in the magazine occasionally. It might be that one box of Mini-Mag ammo was slightly longer than the previous, or maybe the mags are getting slightly dirty, but otherwise a variety of ammo fed well the last time I was shooting, in both of my mags and we tried some different ammo in okriii's four mags.

There's not a lot of energy to cycle a 22LR, and blow back operated 22s tend to run dirty. I'd clean the pistol and use some light lube and see if that fixes any problems that aren't obviously magazine related. Be careful cleaning these transparent magazines. Toby, our friendly neighborhood Kel-Tec engineer warned that the polymer could be damaged by solvents, and that would include solvents in some oils or multipurpose cleaner lubricants. I'd avoid alcohol, petroleum distillates, etc. Maybe a mild detergent cleaning solution in an ultrasonic cleaner would be a good way to clean these mags.

18. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Getting a mag loader helps. There are a few kinds available. Before I got an American Speedloaders "Nest" loader, I was making my fingers sore, and there were random rim location screw-ups as I inserted the rounds requiring emptying the mag and starting over. After speedloader--zero trouble.

buzzsaw

Danos likes this.
  19. 90volvo

90volvo Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Sitting here tonight loading and unloading the magazines. Finding 4 issues- 1. sometimes ammo doesn’t stack correctly(rim places wrong). 2. Unloading mag, round fails to pop up in right position. Now this could be cause of ammo is a tad long. I will try few different brands tomorrow. 3. Ammo doesn’t stager properly, which you can fix by using small screwdriver. 4. Sometimes ammo does not pop up in front which means it won’t cycle in gun. Looking at the magazines in a bright light I see some small imperfection burs. So I’m gonna take magazine apart and use a small Drexel. Kel Tec doesn’t have a brand of ammo they recommend. Yes I cleaned the gun before I shot it last time. No I didn’t use harsh cleaner. Gonna debur mags- clean gun. Try best ammo that’s available and give it a go. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice and help.

20. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    My CP33 mags will often load with a round or two that doesn't stagger but they shoot fine. My magazines don't have a rim lock problem. I need to try hard to make them rim lock. A good mag loader would probably be a good investment.

tx-rvr and maltise like this.