Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see there is quite a bit of interest in longer barrels for the cp33. Question is how much? Are we talking like 10-11" barrel or full on 16"?

Conversely would a lightweight profile be more desirable? Or full diameter?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Personally I would like a 16 inch pencil barrel but I would go with what the majority of people or what you would offer.

A 12 inch barrel would be a good compromise. Adding a metal fs1913 brace would.make it a nice small formable shooter. Finding a handgaurd extension would be next thing to find.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd need to think about changing from the factory length long and hard, but I change at all it would be a 10-11" pencil barrel. What I have now is so light I don't even know I have it on my shoulder. But a bit more velocity would be nice to have.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
After putting more thought into it. A 16 inch barrel makes use of full powder burn and you can put folding stock instead of brace . I like the idea of not having to worry about laws changing and a good folding stock offers more stability for accurate shots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After putting more thought into it. A 16 inch barrel makes use of full powder burn and you can put folding stock instead of brace . I like the idea of not having to worry about laws changing and a good folding stock offers more stability for accurate shots.
Very valid reasoning! I know the feeling and I'm probably going to SBR another AR just for that reason. (I like my shorty's)

To answer the other question more length and profiling takes longer/more tooling wear. But a majority of "machining" is in the setup so once your setup it's just really more passes (and the mess that comes with it lol....should have probably said cleanup is the most time consuming :) ) Most blanks start off at least 1" so in the pencil profile your taking off nearly half of the base material. But really the chambering and muzzle threading is where most of the time is spent and the attention to detail needed.

That being said I understand and agree one of the sweet points of these guns is the weight. So I feel it's almost natural to assume that's what would be wanted.....but assuming can also get you in trouble which is why I was looking forward to your feedback. Keep it coming guys.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I wholly agree. I would like a legal carbine length (no stamp) for a full stock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I managed to find a blank....a little pricey! its a match grade Anschutz blank. Maybe soon to be the most accurate cp33? :ROFLMAO:

Going to finish it at 16.1", pencil contour threaded 1/2x28 probably parkerized (have never tried it, but had the stuff for over a year now) I'll try and remember to take pictures as I make it and share. Then I'll post finished weight when completed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just to clarify, if it’s sold as a pistol, it can never legally be a carbine.
you can put a barrel as long as you want, it doesn’t change it’s classification like cutting a 16” carbine down will. A pistol with a 16” barrel is still classified as a pistol, and any stock attached makes it an unregistered SBR.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just to clarify, if it’s sold as a pistol, it can never legally be a carbine.
you can put a barrel as long as you want, it doesn’t change it’s classification like cutting a 16” carbine down will. A pistol with a 16” barrel is still classified as a pistol, and any stock attached makes it an unregistered SBR.
That is incorrect. If the firearm starts as a pistol then you can change it to a legal rifle and then back to a pistol. If the firearms start out as a rifle then it must stay as a rifle (unless you build a SBR) This is all per the ATF. The ability to change a pistol to a rifle and then back to a pistol was decided in the Thompson Center case.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That is incorrect. If the firearm starts as a pistol then you can change it to a legal rifle and then back to a pistol. If the firearms start out as a rifle then it must stay as a rifle (unless you build a SBR) This is all per the ATF. The ability to change a pistol to a rifle and then back to a pistol was decided in the Thompson Center case.
Thinkin' about this legal mumbo jumbo just makes my head ache. Yes, I know, that's precisely what they want.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We just.need to hound kel tec to.make one. I have been calling and asking since the cp33 came out.
Seems like an easy transition. I think th cp33 is based of same lower as the cmr.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crappy picture....but the Anschutz barrel went on a diet today. lol

Took half of it off! you can see how small it is by the chuck....going even thinner in some spots to minimize weight. Ie. Pencil profile

·
Registered
76 Posts
What diameter are you machining your barrel to?

The CMR30 barrel is 0.625" in diameter and is well balanced at 16". I do like the idea of 10" to 12" barrel and then making it an SBR too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For this one I'm going to do .625 where the barrel goes through the front trunion/guide then .500-540 everywhere else then taper it back to .620 to create a shoulder for the muzzle threads.

Seems like more are interested in a 16" so they can stock it like a carbine than the 10-12" barrel.......but depending how many hours it takes to do, it wouldn't be a problem to do any size/profile really.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can see why most will be interested in a 16" barrel. Not a lot of people want to mess with making/registering a SBR. Though a 10"-12" barrel would be nice for a SBR build.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah and with the ATF's new shenanigans their pulling 2021R-08. It's going to kinda kill this little pistol I feel....I know I'm going to be hella jaded if it passes(which I sadly think it will) so its going to force people to convert to carbines or throw away their braces. I bought mine for the mp7 esq feel. and racking another $200 into a 22 is insane. paying 5 bills for the gun was tough enough of a pill to swallow.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts