Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Somebody needs to 3D print an extension. The files for a regular base plate are on Thingiverse so part of the CAD work is already done.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am a little bummed at kel tecs resistance to enhancing the cp33 platform. They have a great shooting gun. They dont put effort in 50 round mag extension nor do thay look at a 10.5 inch threaded option
It's a same as they would fly off the shelves.

Lighter and more compact than the ruger charger.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just an observation, folks have problems now with stripping the top round of a 33 round magazine. A 50 round mag would have even more spring pressure and make that even more difficult. Why would KT invite problems by making a bad situation even worse?

I'd also love to have a 50 round magazine, but it needs to be reliable #1. If that can't be done I just don't need it. For now I'm going to look at what I have and be thankful; a 33 round magazine and not a 10 rounder and be content in that until or if KT decides to figure out how to make a reliable 50 rounder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just an observation, folks have problems now with stripping the top round of a 33 round magazine. A 50 round mag would have even more spring pressure and make that even more difficult. Why would KT invite problems by making a bad situation even worse?

I'd also love to have a 50 round magazine, but it needs to be reliable #1. If that can't be done I just don't need it. For now I'm going to look at what I have and be thankful; a 33 round magazine and not a 10 rounder and be content in that until or if KT decides to figure out how to make a reliable 50 rounder.
BJK - You Sir, are exactly correct.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
I wonder if Kel-Tec could make a 50 round quad stack magazine using an injection molded polymer that's not as sticky as the clear polymer (polycarbonate?) they're currently using for the 33 round magazine. Keeping the 33 round mags clean and dry lubed is critical to proper functioning. I like the ETS clear magazines, but they're a bit sticky too. A harder and slicker polymer such as nylon seems to make a more reliable polymer magazine.

Kel-Tec managed to get the CP33 mags to function with 33 round capacity but there isn't much reliability to spare. If there's some grit in the magazines or some sticky wax lube rubs off the bullets, the mags become problematic. Kel-Tec has a patent on the clever quad stack magazine so we're unlikely to see after market 50 round mags for the CP33.

If I wasn't so lazy and demotivated lately, I'd try to design a 50 round CP33 magazine and print it on my resin 3D printer. It would be quite an engineering challenge.

And to think, it wasn't that long ago that the industry was stuck on the idea that a 22LR magazine couldn't be made with a capacity over ten rounds, and now we're dissatisfied with 33 rounds and instead want 50 rounds. When we get 50, we'll want 100.

As silverback mentioned, I'd like a 10.5" barrel for my CP33.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
357 Posts
If KT can’t make an extension work, better they don’t take anyone’s money.
Personally, I’d rather just see a complete extended mag vs a mag extension. But with std. mags at $50 a pop, a 50 round mag would have to be $80-$100. Nope.

·
Registered
448 Posts
And to think, it wasn't that long ago that the industry was stuck on the idea that a 22LR magazine couldn't be made with a capacity over ten rounds, and now we're dissatisfied with 33 rounds and instead want 50 rounds. When we get 50, we'll want 100.
15+ round .22LR handgun mags have been around for decades. Not sure why so many people (on various forums) think double stacking rimfire ammo is such a difficult feat. Yes, Kel-Tec took it to a new level, but there was no technical reason handguns could not hold more than 10, other than to satisfy capacity laws or gun size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They have been around but they have been notorious for being pretty unreliable. Only recently have we started seeing good well functioning double stack 22 mags. I have heard the Taurus TX22 is really reliable. To be honest I think it's less of that it's hard to do and more that manufacturers don't really focus on quality with 22LR guns because they're often targeted at the lowest possible price point which doesn't lend itself to reliability.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Kel tec is the only place that I know of. They recently came out. I want three more so I check thier web page twice daily.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts