Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally had some questions about finding flakes of "wax" in my magazine. I was going to post pics and ask if anyone else was seeing this. Or if Keltec waxes their mags. I snapped some pics and forgot about it. I went shooting again and had a magazine failure. One of the feed lips broke off. Anyone else have plastic or wax pieces or broken mags?
Let me switch to my phone and ill post some pics...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I guess i didn't take pictures. And i can't find that mag. Ugh. Anyway it's a broken mag. I was unable to find the piece that broke off.
Anyone else break a magazine?

·
Grand Poobah
1,381 Posts
That "wax" looks like the bullet lube used on some .22 lr ammo. Sometimes the manufacturer will apply it pretty enthusiastically. If it then runs, the coating can get uneven, and the thick parts can flake off, especially if it is cold. It can gum up your magazine and cause failures, so it needs to be cleaned out from time to time.

That mag looks OK. Dirty, but OK. Since it's the thinnest part at the top of the mag, I'm guessing that the feed lip might have broken on the other one. As for the broken mag, you can call Kel-Tec about it. I'll bet they will tell you to send it in, and they will send you another one. (They replaced the first mags I bought for mine, since the newer ones have noticeably better springs. I just expected them to swap the springs out, since otherwise the mags seemed to be fine.)

buzzsaw

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This pistol doesn't have that many rounds through it. But i have shot a lot of .22. and never noticed any wax/lube. At least not flakes of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes some 22 ammo has more wax on the bullets than others. I have had issues with one of my 1911 conversion slides if I shoot ammo with a lot of wax. It will actually leave a wax ring in the chamber and cause extraction issues if I don't keep it cleaned out good enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I originally had some questions about finding flakes of "wax" in my magazine. I was going to post pics and ask if anyone else was seeing this. Or if Keltec waxes their mags. I snapped some pics and forgot about it. I went shooting again and had a magazine failure. One of the feed lips broke off. Anyone else have plastic or wax pieces or broken mags?
Im new to Kel-Tecs and this is a post I honestly didn't want to find. I was wondering how strong or weak the plastic feed lips were for the cp33 mags. I really wished they had metal incorporated into that part. Hope Kel-Tec takes care of it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Im new to Kel-Tecs and this is a post I honestly didn't want to find. I was wondering how strong or weak the plastic feed lips were for the cp33 mags. I really wished they had metal incorporated into that part. Hope Kel-Tec takes care of it.
This is the only instance of this problem I have seen. I have, however, seen a lot of talk about first round not wanting to feed and have had that experience first hand. I just leave the first round chambered, have it in my bedside dresser on safety in case I'm attacked by 33 mole people.

Reactions: BJK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts