Couldn't pass it up. My new P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hornett, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Hornett

Hornett New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    I just picked up a first generation hard chrome P3AT today.
    It has barely been shot and is like new.

Since it is first generation, I thought about passing on the deal, but it was hard chrome and I decided it needed a home. (mine)

Did I make a good decision?
    Is the second generation really that much better than the first?
    In my humble opinion, the first generation looks better YMMV.

Do you experts have any advice for what I should be looking for.
    I have only shot two mags through it.
    I had one failure to eject on the first mag.
    I think I limp wristed it.
    The second mag was perfect.

Thanks for any input.

I will post more after I have had time to shoot a couple of boxes through it.
    maybe this weekend.

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    how much was your good deal....my one gen is my every day....i prefer the one gen looks too...gpr

3. Hornett

Hornett New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    I paid $250.
    Around here, IF you can manage to find a hard chrome P3AT in stock, they start at $300 and go up from there.

4. Welcome aboard Hornett.

I have never even touched a 1st gen, must less owned one.  Some one will come along soon to offer tips.

BTW: POST PICS OF THAT 1st. Gen H/C 3AT!

5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    First-Generation P-3ATs are about 15% lighter than the heavier SG P-3ATs, so limpwristing can be a problem for new shooters. Some FGs didn’t have the “hangie down” style extractor, which can contribute to failure to extract but most work fine. Changing the extractor on a FG is more difficult than the newer version but it is seldom necessary, so that should make little difference. To give myself a bit more tolerance with weak-hand-shooting most of my FGs (and some SGs) have a minor “barrel hood modification”.

While I have several Second-Generation P-3ATs, I always find myself carrying a lighter FG P-3AT :)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s also a fan of Classic Coke :D

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Let me put it this way. As soon as I find a 1G my 2G will be up for sale. And I have zero problems with my 2G.

7. Rat... you will probably find that 1st gen 3AT before the other three Kel-Tecs you are looking for! ;D

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't s'pose this will fly but:

OH NO!!!! The 1gens are very very much not what you want and you should not shoot it. It should not have been on the market at all. Because I am such a good guy I will take it off your hands for you and keep it out of the hands of anyone to which it might cause a problem and, even though it does not completely reimburse you, I will help a bit by giving you $100 to ease the pain. All you have to do is ship it to my FFL; please advise of your address or fax number and I will take care of getting you his license.

I look forward to hearing from you before it is too late...

-Scott (who had to try :D)

9. Hornett

Hornett New Member

Sep 1, 2006
  10. Oh my.... one of those!

I agree with Scott... dump that POS and get you a 2nd gen. Since I am a much more generous guy than Scott... I will give you $120.00

Seriously though... you did well Hornett! Nice looking gun.

Now all you need to do is clean, lube shoot, repeat!

11. Hornett

Hornett New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Ran through the first box of ammo.

WWB and not a single failure.
    It does tend to shoot a bit to the right, but I can keep them on a paper plate at 10 yards.

:cool:

12. Copdills

Copdills New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    congrats on your find, I hope you enjoy it everyone tells me they are very good guns i haven't shot my yet I hope it works as well as yours