Could someone post a +1 extension pic

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mike66, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I was thinking of ordering a +1 extension for my P3AT. Does anyone have one of these and can tell me how they like it and maybe post a picture of it with the magazine in the gun? Seems like the only pics I can find are of the magazine out of the gun.

I was initially wanting to get a second magazine with the fingertip extension but then I thought why not get the extension AND increase the capacity???

Thanks.

2. Dan-O

Dan-O Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    I think it also helps with recoil, not like there is much anyways, but it helps you get second shots off more accurately, and improves accuracy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
  4. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Thanks for posting the photos. They are very helpful.

Do you find that the extension effects the concealability when carrying in a pocket holster. I have the fingertip extension on mine now and it seems to make it more obvious when carrying. It's like the point of the extension forms a crease in my pants. I wondering (hoping) if the +1 extension leaves a less obvious imprint due to its rounded corners????

5. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Flat is best IMO. It neither prints, nor hinders draw.

Packer.

6. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Excuse my ignorance, but by "flat" do you mean without either extension, just the basic 6 round mag?

My interest in an extension is more for control while firing. I found that without any extension installed the muzzle was kicking upward much more than after I installed the fingertip extension which may have been contributing to some FTF issues (limp wristing). With the extension I can get my trigger finger + two other fingers on the grip fully which has helped immensely.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I believe "flat" refers to the surface of the extension extending straight out from the grip, instead of curving forward like the other extensions do. I love my +1 and find it very comfortable, but haven't tried the "curved" one.

8. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I never had much luck with the extension. My magazine capacity most definitely wasn’t increased +1 and the extra length made it more troublesome to get the pistol out of my pocket. If I were using some other carry method, I probably would have kept the extension just for the sake of enhanced controllability, but as it was, there just wasn’t enough of a payoff to make it worthwhile. Your mileage may vary. :-/

9. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    No, I meant the flat SIDES of the +1, with no sharp hook to print.

Packer.

10. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Well I received my new P3AT magazine and +1 extension yesterday. Love the way it looks and feels and it's nice having a higher mag capacity. One question. The small L shaped metal base plate sticks out of the rear of the magazine. The instructions specifically say it is supposed to be installed on the outside. Problem is that when you put the mag in the gun the rear plate sometimes catches on the bottom of the gun's grip. Seems like a strange design and I can see that it would eventually start to chew up the bottom of the plastic grip if I keep hitting it.

Has anyone else noticed this or come up with a way to avoid hitting the grip (other than just being careful)?

11. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    could you post a pic of it? If the mag ext is properly installed and the metal clip is flush, you may need to remove some of the plastic :-/ I can fit a cc in the gap between the metal clip and the rubber base of the grip.

12. Dan-O

Dan-O Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    I had to just carefully bend it a little bit to be more flush with the mag. You can also take some sandpaper and sand it down some. I would do both of these by disassembling the extension and working on the "L" by itself.

13. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    It is fairly flush with the back of the magazine but perhaps I can bend it just a tad more so there is no gap at all.

It only hits the bottom of the grip somtimes. Unless I'm applying some pressure to the rear of the gun while inserting the mag, it misses the grip. I'm just worried that I'll snap it in there real quick a few times with I'm not thinking about it and it will rough up the bottom of the plastic grip.

These are good suggestions. I'll try to get a pic tonight so you can tell me if there's anything to worry about.

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  15. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wow, thanks! Really excellent information there. The extension I have is not beveled like the one you have shown. I might be able to bevel it myself using a grinder. I'll also sand the hammer spring catch like you said.

Thanks again, great info!

16. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Possibly the extensions have been tweaked a bit since that article but you get the idea on relieving some grip/hammer spring catch, etc, where the extension fits in.  It doesn't take much at all to achieve a better fit and you are really just accelerating the process that happens when the mag with extension is inserted enough times.

This mod is similar:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/magwell.htm