Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of the "definitive" ext'r fix thread?

the new slide and barrel that came today isn't extracting .
No, it's not because of limpwristig
no, it's not because of "this ammo or that ammo"
Trust me, I'm beyond that

it's simply not yanking the spent case out 3 out of 5 times .
Ext'r hook appears to be fine (no obvious breakage or damage)
There is no tension on a round if I slip it up the breach face and under the ext'r.

I'm quite comfortable doing my own mods and have more than enough gunsmithing tools .
so what are the prescribed nods to fix the ext'r?

Thanks

..l.T.A.

·
Registered
589 Posts
someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of the "definitive" ext'r fix thread?

the new slide and barrel that came today isn't extracting .
No, it's not because of limpwristig
no, it's not because of "this ammo or that ammo"
Trust me, I'm beyond that

it's simply not yanking the spent case out 3 out of 5 times .
Ext'r hook appears to be fine (no obvious breakage or damage)
There is no tension on a round if I slip it up the breach face and under the ext'r.

I'm quite comfortable doing my own mods and have more than enough gunsmithing tools .
so what are the prescribed nods to fix the ext'r?

Thanks

..l.T.A.
How bout doubling the extractor spring? you will probably need a slightly longer frankenbolt the bolt on the slide that holds the extractor and extractor spring) the thread size I believe is a 6/32. You can order the extra extractor spring by calling KT and telling them about your problem, or you can buy a couple off their web sight like I did and have a spare. You just place the second extractor spring on top of the first and install your slightly longer frankenbolt (not too long the firing pin needs to move as you know). And thats pretty much it for that mod. It worked for me twice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i had this same problem, i called keltec and they ent me a new extractor and spring. the new extractor has a sharper edge that engages the rim. the origional extractor had a flat on that edge that wasnt engaging the rim well. i installed the new extractor anddoubled the spring with a new stainless steel bolt and function is now 100% with good ammo under all firing positions... for me anyhow.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i had this same problem, i called keltec and they ent me a new extractor and spring. the new extractor has a sharper edge that engages the rim. the origional extractor had a flat on that edge that wasnt engaging the rim well. i installed the new extractor anddoubled the spring with a new stainless steel bolt and function is now 100% with good ammo under all firing positions... for me anyhow.
In my case the new extractor netted the same results. BUt I did try and if it would have fixed that is the way I would have went.

·
Registered
105 Posts
+1 on adding the second extractor spring. Resolved all of my extraction issues. I used the stock button head screw on mine and the firing pin has been retaining fine.

I've also read od those with the tools and skill being able to file or sand the face of the extractor itself to allow it to sit deeper in the slide. It would allow for a better "bite" on the casing. I'm talking about the flat side of the extractor that rests against the slide channel. I hope I'm describing it clearly enough.

As I said before I simply added a second spring and have been running without issue since. Easy and effective.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
face of the extractor itself to allow it to sit deeper in the slide.
that's exactly what i was thinking of doing .
I haven't tore it down yet, but fiddling with it here at my desk while manually pushing on it adds very little tension .

Nizachon, , excellent !!THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

this is a good site, Fellas, if I get a little grUmpy....it's nothing personal, I promise
just frustration of dealing with a model that SHOULD of had the bugs worked out by now.
I understand it's an inexpensive pistol, but it's been in production more than long enough that the recurring threads I see shouldn't be so common

again, thanks for the help

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let us know how it works out for you. The more information we get about successful fixes, the more we can do to help the Kel-Tec community.

That said, if anyone else has fixed their problems, shoot Kel-Tec an e-mail detailing what you've done. I'm sure they'll appreciate the information and it'll help them resolve problems for others down the road if they release a revision.

Also, for reference, what serial range is your PF-9 from? My RX--- doesn't have this problem.

·
Administrator
31,990 Posts
Assuming the gun is broken in, you are shooting a cleaned and well-lubricated (grease) pistol, have tried several brands of quality, brass-cased ammo, and are not limp-wristing it, (no, just because you have never limp-wristed another pistol doesn't mean you aren't limpwristing the PF9), I'd call KT and ask for a new extractor assembly LONG before I'd send it back for service. If none of that works, including the new extractor assembly, only them would I consider using the warranty. ymmv...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assuming the gun is broken in, you are shooting a cleaned and well-lubricated (grease) pistol, have tried several brands of quality, brass-cased ammo, and are not limp-wristing it, (no, just because you have never limp-wristed another pistol doesn't mean you aren't limpwristing the PF9), I call KT and ask for a new extractor assembly LONG before I'd send it back for service. If none of that works, including the new extractor assembly, only them would I consider using the warranty. ymmv...

Thanks Tx.
I know enough about pistols in general to know that loose ext'rs don't fix themselves with more rnds down range .
This isn't a "break in" issue .
I also know that lubing a pistol well (which it is) has nothing to do with ext'r tension

Nope, not limpwristing either.
Matter of fact, before the first slide peened/beat it's self to death after 120 rnds , I intentionally tried to make it MALF by limpwristing .
I couldn't make it MALF.
BTW, it also fed and extracted every rnd with included WWB and steel Russian junk..which BTW is very mild ammo according to my chronograph ..which means limp wrist MALFs surely would of shown up with it.

If that slide would of been heat treated/hardened properly (as i understand was/is the problem with many new ones) I'd be a big cheerleader right now too

oh, and for the record, it won't extract Federal ammo either .
Two types, Fed premium 124gr HP and Fed Champion 115 FMJ

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Assuming the gun is broken in, you are shooting a cleaned and well-lubricated (grease) pistol, have tried several brands of quality, brass-cased ammo, and are not limp-wristing it, (no, just because you have never limp-wristed another pistol doesn't mean you aren't limpwristing the PF9), I call KT and ask for a new extractor assembly LONG before I'd send it back for service. If none of that works, including the new extractor assembly, only them would I consider using the warranty. ymmv...
I think he got a whole new slide (assuming complete with new extractor). So that should narrow the list a bit. I have a feeling something is up with the recent run of extractors or maybe the extractor bed on the newer slides have something funky going on.

Maybe he could inspect the extractor and extractor bed and see if there's something there that shouldn't be. Apart from that, if the extractor is new (and you're shooting correctly), calling Kel-tec for service or chancing it by doubling up might be the only options.

Also, can you tell us the Letters in your serial (not the whole thing obviously). I would like to see if there's a trend on a specific production run.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think he got a whole new slide (assuming complete with new extractor). So that should narrow the list a bit. I have a feeling something is up with the recent run of extractors or maybe the extractor bed on the newer slides have something funky going on.

Maybe he could inspect the extractor and extractor bed and see if there's something there that shouldn't be. Apart from that, if the extractor is new (and you're shooting correctly), calling Kel-tec for service or chancing it by doubling up might be the only options.
Thanks PocketD
You're correct, this is a brand new complete replacement slide and barrel.
I don't want to send it back, I'm capable of changing parts or doing mods as needed .
I'll call KT and request they send me a new ext'r and spring.
I'll also tinker with the one that's in it now.
I'll also inspect after I remove it for burrs or metal shavings in the ext'r slide channel
If none found ... I'm "cautiously optimistic" filing a couple/few thousandths off the ext'r (at the point the slide stops it's travel) will allow it to grab more of the case rim

whether slide channel is milled correctly or not, I know enough from customizing dozens of 1911s over the years, that file on the least expensive part ...which obviously is the ext'r in this case

Thanks again all

BTW, Pocketdrummer is an interesting name

MY kit is a little big to fit in a pocket
But I've been kicking the cans since I was 7 years old .
Played professionally for awhile

Rock, country, jazz, I play it all...'cept for rap crAp.....;)

but I'm an ole rocker since '74 when we played our first gigs in the Water st bars in Kent Ohio
Played in the same joints Joe Walsh played in some years before us

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hold de fone...I might have a cure

i quit pi$$in' and moanin' and got to pistol wrenchin'
Just finished up what I "think" was wrong

I loaded a mag , stepped out back and popped off all 7 without a hitch .

I'm heading out now for a more serious evaluation.

stay tuned...pics to follow range report
keep your fingered crossed.....;)

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hold de fone...I might have a cure

i quit pi$$in' and moanin' and got to pistol wrenchin'
Just finished up what I "think" was wrong

I loaded a mag , stepped out back and popped off all 7 without a hitch .

I'm heading out now for a more serious evaluation.

stay tuned...pics to follow range report
keep your fingered crossed.....;)

..L.T.A.
Wait... what kind of wrechin' did you do?

Also, that's a nice looking kit you've got there. The nickname "pocketdrummer" came because I'm short (5'5") and the Pocket(sized)Drummer name sort of stuck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait... what kind of wrechin' did you do?

filed the ext'r to allow it a few thousandths more travel.
As I suspected, no amount of spring pressure (at the point the spring presses) would of grabbed enough rim.
I filed .005 off

There is joy in Mudville

I just shot 200 rnds .

50 rnds Fed Champion
50 rnds WPA (Russian steel)'
100 rnd WWB

all fed 100%
1 FTE with WWB at appx rnd count 75

I measured case rims and here's what I found

Fed Champ .3885
WPA .388
WWB .385
Win Ranger T-Series .386
Speer Gold Dot .3865

I'm heading down to the Honeycomb Hideout....
(where i do all my gun smiffin' , reloading, grip making and other sundry man stuff)

I'm confident I'm on the right track now.
I'll take another couple/few thousandths off the ext'r
I'm more sure than ever I'll make it run with ANY ammo.
and she'll be a keeper

I'll be back in an hour or two (after i cook in the Militec treatment) with pics of why and where I had to file .

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
589 Posts
filed the ext'r to allow it a few thousandths more travel.
As I suspected, no amount of spring pressure (at the point the spring presses) would of grabbed enough rim.
I filed .005 off

There is joy in Mudville

I just shot 200 rnds .

50 rnds Fed Champion
50 rnds WPA (Russian steel)'
100 rnd WWB

all fed 100%
1 FTE with WWB at appx rnd count 75

I measured case rims and here's what I found

Fed Champ .3885
WPA .388
WWB .385
Win Ranger T-Series .386
Speer Gold Dot .3865

I'm heading down to the Honeycomb Hideout....
(where i do all my gun smiffin' , reloading, grip making and other sundry man stuff)

I'm confident I'm on the right track now.
I'll take another couple/few thousandths off the ext'r
I'm more sure than ever I'll make it run with ANY ammo.
and she'll be a keeper

I'll be back in an hour or two (after i cook in the Militec treatment) with pics of why and where I had to file .

..L.T.A.
Outstanding!!! let us know. I have a spare extractor sitting right in front of me. Being able to shoot any brand ammo would be such a HUGE benifit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Outstanding!!! let us know. I have a spare extractor sitting right in front of me. Being able to shoot any brand ammo would be such a HUGE benifit.
starting a new thread now, Mojo
Detailed explanation w/pics of why's , what's and how's coming in a few
(or more than a few minutes...cuz I'm REEL-SLO...:D)

I think this might help many...hope so anyway... cause ya'll have done your best to help me

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think most of the extraction problems would be cured by the filing the extractor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts