18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did this:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Could not pull the slide back with sweaty hand

Now I can do a one handed slide pull against my pants if I needed to. I cycled a couple mags through it, it ejects the shells just fine.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

I have also seen this done with just 2 small strips of scateboard tape along the sides of the slide. That'll work.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

Looks good for racking the slide, but might cause problems on the draw.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Sorry - but I don't want sand paper on my slide - can't understand why anyone would.

If your gun jams so much that it makes your hands sweat then get a different gun.

I rack the slide every AM when I load a round in the chamber - same thing at night when I unload. But see no reason to mess with it during the day.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Why do you unload the chamber at night?

Good question - Habit I guess. Habit and consistency.

I always unload before I go to bed. I plan on getting a small gun safe - the kind that has the hand on the top so you can unlock it in the dark. Maybe then I will not feel the need to unload. But most likely will anyway. The P-3AT is not the gun I would grab if I hear a bump in the night anyway.

Winchester model 1200 is my first choice - loaded magazine (first 2 #6 bird shot - the rest 0 buck) - but no round in the chamber - next is my MP40 - 14 rounds of ranger 165 gr JHP's in the mag - no round in the chamber - then there is the 40 caliber rifle - 9 rounds of 180 gr JHP in the mag - plus 2 spare mags - empty chamber - then comes the PM9 - 5 rounds JHP's in the mag - empty chamber. If I ever get to the point where I need the P-3AT then WWIII has started!

I like to know - 100% that the gun I put in my pocket is loaded - so I load it before I put it in my pocket. I think if I did not unload it at night I would unload it in the morning so I could load it before I put it in my pocket.

I do know one thing - I am 100% sure if I need to grab a gun in the middle of the night that it will have an emply chamber - so I know I must put a round in the chamber before I shoot.

My best defense at night is our Chihuahua - if a june bug flies into the glass of our back door she gets up to check it out. She thinks she is a doberman. Pity the person who enters my home at night - Chloe the 8 pound killer chihuahua will be all over them! That should give me more then enough time to pump the 12 gauge - and rack the slide on my MP40.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had the same problem at a range that was real hot. Not sure i'd do something so drastic to mine. I always have one chambered, except when cleaning or changing magazines. LOL.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

If you insist on loading / unloading every day, be sure and check the cartridge length of the round you are wearing out.

Constantly beating the same round into the feed ramp my cause bullet set-back and resulting higher pressure over time.

rcmodel

·
Registered
357 Posts

rcmodel

Good point - but

I have a system!

After a few cycles (3 -5 mag to chamber) I put the round in a box that goes to the range and gets shot. I like to shoot some carry rounds every time I go to the shooting range anyway - they might as well have a few miles on them. Never had a failure with my carry round - so I feel good about my system.

Plus - every time I buy a box of ammo the date purchased get put on the box - If it is still around after 5 years - it goes to the range and gets shot.

I know ammo if stored properly can last for 50 years - but why not use the old stuff first!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

This all seems a bit O. C. to me, but to each his own.

I'm guessing that you have young children in the house, and that is a whole different world of gun safety than if you don't. The important thing is that you have a system and it works for you.

Packer.

·
Registered
858 Posts

Maj_Z06, I like your style!  ;D

I'd hate though for that gun and all its trimmings to fall down the front of my pants with no underwear on.  Ouch!  My "boys" wouldn't like that one bit.  That would be one bad diaper rash.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts

z71bill said:
Sorry - but I don't want sand paper on my slide - can't understand  why anyone would.

If your gun jams so much that it makes your hands sweat then get a different gun.

I rack the slide every AM when I load a round in the chamber - same thing at night when I unload. But see no reason to mess with it during the day.
You're entitled to your opinion z71, but I did summer basic training in Ft Knox before there was such a thing as global warming. I'm sitting here in Louisiana stripped down to my skivvies, and my palms are sweating. I think it's a viable add on for a potential problem, and I understand his desire for a better grip. Not my cup of tea, but if it makes him more comfortable with HIS P3AT, more power to him. And it's a decent option for us in the southern climes who may have to deal with sweaty palms, regardless of whether we have jams or not (which I noticed he didn't say anything about). I understand that you may not want it on your slide, and that's your right. But there's no reason to belittle him about his wants. I wouldn't encourage anybody to spend what I did on my Sub, but it is MY Sub, and if I feel like spending more on it than an AR is worth, that's my right, and I don't need anybody on this board to tell me it was dumb. Okay, rant off, and I hope no feelings were hurt.

;)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

+ 1 3wbdriver. The beauty of this forum lies in the differences between us. If we all thought the same, we would have nothing to contribute.

I am not haveing malfunctions with my P3AT at this time but it could happen again. If I couldn't carry a second gun, I would certainly consider any modification which would help me keep the gun in action. I like being able to rack the slide with one hand by pulling against the pants. Very original.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.