Cosmetic Issue

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TikiG, Nov 30, 2007.

1. TikiG

TikiG New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Ut oh,

Due to operator error... :-[

I now have some minor dings on the back of the slide. Very minor scratches from hitting asphalt. Don't ask. Still cycles with no problems. Basically just the bluing has been removed, nothing deep, no jagged edges or snags.

This is obviously a field tool and is going to get banged up but what is my best course of action to fix. (No this isn't a justification to have it hard chromed or nickel plated, lol ) I have heard of cold bluing but I've never used it. Is one brand better than another? I've been tempted to just hit it with a black sharpie but it obviously affords dubious rust protection. (It would loook fine if I did that though.)

Suggestions Welcome

TikiG

2. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004

3. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    +1 on those Birchwood Casey paint pens -- at least for parkerizing.  I used the flat black to touch up the front sight on an AK, can't even see the repair now.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    CHeck out Doc's add in the trading post re bluing and melting. He might have some advice for you. But if you are at all inclined to nikel - Jack is THE WAY to go. I believe that all guns should be black and evil but am still thinking of sending him one to do his work is so beautiful.

-Scott

5. TikiG

TikiG New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I ordered the Birchwood Casey Super Black Matte. Delivered is $12. I figured it will come in handy over the years. Scratches are inevitable and once its really beat up, I'll spring for nickel or hard chrome. I would have purchased a HC but they are somewhat hard to find these days. I'm happy with what I've got for now... 0 FTE, 0 FTF, cleaning & grease only (no Fluff required). Only issue is I have to slingshot the slide for it to feed from the mag, no biggie.

Thanks for the help!!!

Just out of curiousity anyone try a Sharpie, any luck (no rust)?

TikiG

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I wouldn't even worry about touching it up. Those little dings and nicks just give it charactor ;)