Corbon DPX

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, May 24, 2011.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    As some of you are aware from my posts a while back, Corbon stopped using Barnes bullets exclusively in their DPX line and began producing them with a mixture of Barnes and their own copper bullets.  Because some time had passed and assuming by this time, they'd received enough complaints to return to exclusive use of the Barnes, I emailed them again with fingers and toes crossed, hoping for the right answer.
    Unfortunately, I received an email from them today and they plan to continue using their own bullet or the Barnes based on availability. :(
    I still haven't seen anything alerting consumers to the change on packaging or anywhere else.  In my wetpack test, the Barnes performed perfectly while the Dakota bullet plugged, so this is a big deal if you want expansion.

2. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    Thank you for letting us know that. I saw where you tested them, and went with the double tap barnes load instead. Buffalo bore is also just starting a line they call unleaded with the barnes bullet, starting with 380. Double tap is promising 1050 fps out of a p3at, and buffalobore is promising 1130 fps also out of the p3at.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Is it easy look at the bullet and know which of the two is being loaded? I believe most shops would not have a problem opening the box, to look at a bullet, before a purchase. Would the same bullet be used in qa given lot number or could a lot number be mixed with both bullets?

BTW, it was Corbon DPX 90 grain that I had loaded when I had to use my P3AT in a SD situation. The two rounds I fired stopped the action but of course I have no way of knowing whether a different bullet would have faired differently.

Thanks,
    Bill K.

4. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    How do the Dakota bullets perform in denim covered gel? I have no problem with wetpack or water-jug tests, particularly as a starting place, but neither one can tell the "whole story."

Because your wetpack tests show performance problems, that would be a reason to require more thorough testing before calling it "good" but not necessarily sufficient reason on its own for rejection.

I'd also like to see results of wax and clay tests.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    The difference is easily visible if they let you look. I have pics of them posted here somewhere. I will try to dig them up. The Dakota has a much smaller cavity. I would feel safe buying them in preson so I could check but not online.

6. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    How do the Dakota bullets perform in denim covered gel?  I have no problem with wetpack or water-jug tests, particularly as a starting place, but neither one can tell the "whole story."

Because your wetpack tests show performance problems, that would be a reason to require more thorough testing before calling it "good" but not necessarily sufficient reason on its own for rejection.

I'd also like to see results of wax and clay tests.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    [/quote]
    I would like to see more tests as well but I would doubt the Dakota bullet improves if forced thru more difficult barriers.

7. mr.454

mr.454 Guest

I really hope that they go back to Barnes bullets only. Thanks for the info I guess I will be buying ammo from someone else from now on.

8. ejs54

ejs54 New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I've had good luck with the one box of DPX that they make. A friend of mine did not. I like the power behind their regular line of .380 +P and they also use Starline brass in the batch that I have, thought that was interesting. The DPX has their own name on their brass.

9. Dissipator556

Dissipator556 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Same thing

I emailed Mike from corbon on this same topic. I was very displeased to see the wrong bullets loaded into the dpx product that I recently purchased. Mike (I believe the head of sales), said that those rounds were not being produced anymore, and ALL should now have the correct Barnes tac-xp bullet. My lot was from 2010, although my dealer ordered them for me last week. BUYER BEWARE!

Basically, if you have the small hollowpoints, then you don't have the correct loading and should contact corbon ASAP.

10. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Very happy to hear they've abandoned the Barnes knockoff.:)
    I didn't think the idea of using that other bullet would last as long as it did.

I will now return to the DPX as my carry round and make sure I buy newer batches. I think with the true "Barnes" it's great for the P3AT.

Welcome to KTOG!

11. Dissipator556

Dissipator556 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    I received a reply from Mike at Corbon today, asking me for an address. That's promising news- I will keep you guys posted as to what he sends me.

12. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    At least on the boxes of DPX I have, which have been around a while, there is a clear plastic window in the box lid so that you can see the contents.

13. safariman

safariman New Member

I chrono'ed some Buffalo bore 100's today in my P3AT, Flat nose hard cast with a nice wide meplat, and they scooted out of there at a full 1180fps. These now reside in my gun. thoguht ya'll might want to know. No expansion, but should penetrate like a freight train. The wide flat meplat should give some good POI shock and permanent wound channel as well.