Corbon DPX too big for magazine

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Nov 18, 2009.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Just got the box of Corbon DPX that I ordered a while back.  Went to load the magazine and after getting 3 rounds in noticed that the top round was loose like it had no tension on it.  It didnt have tension because the round under it was holding the follower in place.  Pinched the top of the mag together with my fingers and the rounds and follower pop back up.   Loaded the mag completely and peeled off the rounds one at a time with my thumb.  When it got to that position the problem was repeated.  Tried my other mag, same thing.  When I looked to see what the problem was I noticed the DPX ammo was as long as the interior dimension of the magazine from front to back.  Compared it to my .380 Gold Dots and S&B fmj, the OAL was longer than either of those.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm really sold on the performance of the DPX but if I'm only able to get off the first 4 rounds because they hang in the mag after that it could be a problem.  I may have to go with a DPX in the chamber and GD's in the mag. :-/

2. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I ran into this when reloading JHP into my brass. I had to set the bullet deeper into the shell than the FMJ to get them to function properly. Tom :)

3. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I've used some DPX. Never had a problem. Possibly some bad rounds from the manufacturer?

4. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

I use DPX in my P3AT with no problems. Possible you have some faulty ammo from the factory.

But as regrip stated, when reloading some other JHP rounds, I had to set the bullet slightly deeper into the brass to make it fit into the mag with no binding. :cool:

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1 to a bad batch of DPX.

The little I've found shot well in my P3AT, now if they would just make it for the little brother. ;)

CJ

6. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I bought them directly from Dakota. I'll contact them and see what they say. Hopefully they'll offer to replace them.

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    +2 to the bad batch.

8. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Yep, you were all right!

Called Corbon today spoke to a nice lady in customer services who put me through to an equally nice tech. He said it wasn't real common but did happen on occasion. He said the box I got was obviously not to spec and that he would issue a call tag. Very happy with the response, won't hesitate to buy their products again. :) :)

9. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

Good to know they will stand behind their product. Thnx for the update! :cool:

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I just ordered some from ammunitiontogo and I hope I don't get the same batch. But if I do I know they will make it right. I still think DPX is one of the best 380 rounds out there, the cost is my only complaint.

CJ

11. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    UPDATE!!

Got my replacement box of Corbon DPX from Dakota.  Fits the mag just fine!
    Very Happy! :) :) :) :)

12. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    That's great to learn. Good customer service goes a long way!

Glad the new box worked out for you too. DPX is pretty popular around here, though I'm a Gold Dot fan.