Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Thanks for posting and the time and effort that went into the testing. I'm not shocked at the results because the other tests for DPX in 380 showed pretty similar results, outstanding expansion and less that great penetration. How does your test medium compare to gel? I think Golden Loki's test resulted in around 10" of penetration in gel so I am curious why the big difference between the two. I carry DPX in my P3 and it is my regular BUG so I try to keep an eye out for test results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does your test medium compare to gel? I think Golden Loki's test resulted in around 10" of penetration in gel so I am curious why the big difference between the two. I carry DPX in my P3 and it is my regular BUG so I try to keep an eye out for test results.
It's really close, but I wouldn't compare it exactly as I'm not sure if temp impacts SIM-TEST the same way it does Ballistics Gel. I shot a Corbon 90 grain JHP into the other end of same block the DPX went into and it penetrated 11.875". It didn't have the same expansion, but I believe that's a pretty "normal" result for that round.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah I think the DPX is "THE STUFF" or about as good as you're gonna get (when it's loaded with the Barnes bullet). From my understanding they've returned to using the Barnes exclusively, which is good news. My less scientific wetpack test showed similar results to yours with the original Barnes version. The "new" DPX bullets they were using for a while wouldn't expand at all even in bare wetpack. I switched to Speer Gold Dots for a balance of expansion & penetration when Corbon changed their DPX bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to return to the DPX now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ljutic,

I just picked up a Sig P230 in .380. I saw some of your other tests with .32 acp and .380 into the simtest media, and was wondering how you calibrate the density? I think the standard method for checking density in ballistic gel is with a BB gun at @ 600 feet per second which should penetrate approx 3.5" into the gel.

Do you do anything similar?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ljutic,

I just picked up a Sig P230 in .380. I saw some of your other tests with .32 acp and .380 into the simtest media, and was wondering how you calibrate the density? I think the standard method for checking density in ballistic gel is with a BB gun at @ 600 feet per second which should penetrate approx 3.5" into the gel.

Do you do anything similar?
The calibration bb gun I purchased only goes up to 510 fps at max pumps (thanks Crosman) even though it's rated at 620 fps. I'm looking at about 3" of penetration into my blocks at 510 fps. As I said above, it's a "close" calibration but not exact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Understood. It sounds like your results should be sound. I really enjoy your tests.

There is another guy on youtube who has done a lot of testing that is similar to yours, he goes by "tnoutdoors9". Based on both of your results, it looks like the Hornady Critical Defense looks like a good self-defense load in .380, assuming you don't have to shoot through any intermediate barriers. I was planning on just using regular FMJ prior to watching your videos. Thanks again!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tnoutdoors9 helped me get started with SIM-TEST and getting it adjusted to the density like ballistics gel. I hope we compliment each other's work as he sticks to service length barrels and I test from the short barrels. I think his smallest test gun is the Bersa Thunder 380.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts