CorBon 380 DPX feed issues?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DadoftwoGirls, Aug 4, 2009.

1. DadoftwoGirls

DadoftwoGirls New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Perhaps this has been touched on before. Forgive me, if that is the case. I bought two boxes of the CorBon DPX. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. However, when I put a clip in and work the slide to cycle them all through it seems almost like they are catching. I haven't had this problem with other ammo. Has anyone used this ammo? If so, what was your experience? Just curious as I was hoping to make this my carry ammo after seeing how it worked.

Thanks.

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    It is my carry ammo in the P-3AT. It has always chambered in actual practice. Chambering the first round from a full mag requires a "slingshot" technique in pulling back and releasing the slide.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It works fine in my P3ATs.  Having a little hesitation while manually chambering a round happens.  It does not equate to firing the gun.  Clean, lube and give it a try.  BTW, Corbon developed the 380 DPX round pretty much exclusively using a pair of P3ATs.  In effect, the round is made for the gun.  It's my carry and I think in 380acp Corbon DPX is as good as it gets.  :cool:

4. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm glad to see the good ratings on the CorBon DPX - A friend of mine found a couple of boxes at a LGS up in Mt Dora, FL yesterday, and sold a box to me. Expensive, but it turns out less than buying on-line and paying expensive S&H charges.

5. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I bought 2 boxes of it for my P3AT and shot one box with no issues at all. The only thing I did notice was some heavy smileys in the large hollow point...and that was with some material removed from the bottom of the ramp.

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    bad guy ain't gonna notice the smileys.

i prefer to think it adds a little excitement to their day.

7. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Shoot them with a smile-y. It's not personal, just self defense.

I use DPX in my AT with no problem.

8. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Question the smiley :-/. Let's review what causes a smiley again?? :-?

If you are getting a smiley you have the potential for a Failure to Feed. Will the BG mind a smiley? No, it may save his a**.

Seems like some smoke being blown here.

DPX is excellent ammo. But each gun is a world onto itself.

9. DadoftwoGirls

DadoftwoGirls New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback.  

I didn't have any problem with FMJ ammo chambering the first round even if the magazine was full (and I didn't have to slingshot the slide).  However, I bought two boxes of the DPX and the Corbon 90 grain JHP.  With four rounds of either ammo in the mag everthing works fine without having to slingshot the gun.  However, adding the 5th and 6th don't feed like the FMJ and the rounds get hung.  Obviously I know cycling the mag isn't the same as shooting.  However, since the FMJ didn't EVER get hung, I am a little concerned that perhaps I was missing something.  

I guess I am just hesitant to put it in the gun and carry before I can try it on the range.

Paul

10. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    You really should not carry the ammo without first hitting the range to make sure the ammo is reliable. :eek: :eek:

11. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Has your P3at had a fluff and buff yet. I wouldn't carry one without out it. Sure they may work okay out of the box but it does lessen the chance of a failure.

12. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I must admit I am concerned when a new gun needs to be fluffed and buffed before it is considered reliable. :eek: I have a new, I presume 3rd Gen P3AT. I haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet to wring it out. Nor will I be carrying it until I am comfortable it is reliable, through actual firing.

But it does give me pause. :-/

13. DadoftwoGirls

DadoftwoGirls New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    To be clear my Kel-Tech worked perfect right out of the box. No Fluff and Buff needed. Read my followup that I just posted as a new thread on the ammo. As mentioned by another poster hand cycling the ammo is not the same as shooting it. I had just bought the ammo and put it in the gun when it was catching due to not sling shotting the slide. My bad and I know better. Went to the range today and fired off 50 rounds of the CorBon DPX and 50 of the 90 grain JHP without a single problem.

14. springerchop

springerchop New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    SO did you have to slingshot the first round of 6 at the range? I have the same problem with the first round of 6 in the mag. Slingshotting sometimes helps load the first round but sometimes i have to tap the butt in my palm to get the slide to feed the first round.

15. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Own 6 KT's, two P3-ATs. All 6 of them are carried with DPX. Both 3ATs need a slingshot to get that first round of DPX chambered.

At the range, neither 3AT has ever had any failures with DPX. Hand cycling in ANY gun is not the same as firing. No where NEAR the same amount of force.

As far as F&B, none of my 6 KTs has needed one. Basic clean/lube before the first 200 rounds, clean/lube after, then tested with JHP.

Maybe I'm lucky. ;)

16. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, I just took mine out the other day.

Tested several types of ammo, including DPX.

Had NO smileys, DPX worked perfectly (from the firing perspective, didn't have any BG's volunteering to test the other end. :D )

Haven't done the F&B thing. Don't intend to. :-*

17. witeout

witeout New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I've always found that proper lubrication, at least in my experience, is more important that "fluff and buff". I too have never had to polish any of my Kel Tec guns. DPX works well in my daily carry gun, haven't tried in any of the others though.

18. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    The Hornady CD's don't EVER get smileys and go from the mag to the chamber like a hot knife through butter regardless of how many rounds are in the mag!!!    ;)  My Keltecs luv 'em!!!

Oh, and p.s. go to Hornadys website and look at the pics-the Hornady's ALWAYS expanded which can't be said for other bullets.

Also, can't own a semi auto without at least polishing the feed ramp!!!!! ;D

19. orkman

orkman New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Yes I carry CorBon DPX and I have to slingshot the slide for the first round as well, it's got a little better over time. Firing them without a hitch.