COR®BON DPX Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Todd_Hardy, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Todd_Hardy

Todd_Hardy Guest

COR®BON DPX Question

Hi everyone,

Yes, I'm new and, I promise, I SEARCHED before posting this. While I think I've found my answer, I wanted to ask so I'd know for sure. So, my question is, is the 80GR DPX a +P bullet or not? I see words like "high velocity" and such and want to make sure there's no new marketing being used to describe +P in a different way. Make sense? Based on what I was able to find, it seems as if the COR®BON bullet is the ammunition of choice for the P-3AT with Gold Dot coming in second. Just don't wanna fire +P ammo through my new best friend.

Thank you in advance,

Todd

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: COR®BON DPX Question

Hi Todd and Welcome.

The Corbon DPX is designed around, with and for the P3AT.  It is perfectly safe to use in it.  It will not call itself +P, no reputable ammo company can/will, as there is no standard for +P for .380 like there is in other calibers.

-Scott

3. Todd_Hardy

Todd_Hardy Guest

Oh, ok. Thank you! I didn't know that. Some websites advertise +P in a .380 (http://www.uberarms.com/cor38090.html, for example) so that's where I was getting confused. The box didn't say +P, only High Velocity but the title/description on that site, as well as others, did. Now I know and don't have to worry about it. Thanks again!

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

A quick search here for "DPX" even limited to the P-3AT section, will give you LOTS of reading and a lot of really good info on an ammo that many - self included - think is the best out there.

-Scott

5. Todd_Hardy

Todd_Hardy Guest

Hey Scott,

I'm right there with you. I did that and read quite a few posts. That's what I was referring to when I'd mentioned that the DPX seemed to be the bullet of choice with the Gold Dot in second place. I've read other posts as well and you guys seem to know your stuff! :cool: That's why I'm going to go buy a box of DPX's tomorrow to run through my new girl!

-Todd

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

CorBon used to call certain rounds "+P", even though no standards existed. When they joined the board of SAAMI, the appellation seems to have disappeared, even thought the listed performance is the same.

My top choices for carry with a P-3AT:

-Remington Golden Saber 102 gr JHP
    -CorBon DPX 80 gr SHP
    -Buffalo Bore Gold Dot 90 gr JHP
    -Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr JHP (new)

FWIW

7. Todd_Hardy

Todd_Hardy Guest

Interesting...

Thanks!

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

WIth the fair amount of research I have done I have to concur with at least the top two, though in different order. If I couldn't find DPX I think I would be very comfortable carrying Golden Saber. I just don't know about the other two.

FWIW [sup]2[/sup]

-Scott

9. OhioGunToter

OhioGunToter New Member

Dec 1, 2008

Interresting read... I was a little surprised no one mentioned Speers Gold-Dot

10. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008

I've shot 1 box of Cor Bon 90 gr. no problem, carry mostly Rem golden Sabre's, no problem, ordered 100 rds of Hornady Critical Defense, all these with similar balistics, but I will try at least 50 Critical Defense before I switch. I really like the factory description of the plugged end JHP Hornady CD's, also the consistancy of the expansion, in the tests. I've tried about everything for practice, with no problems. App. 600 rds and counting, love my p3. Jim <><

11. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007

I carry the Golden Sabres too because I believe them to be the best compromise between penetration and expansion in 380 and 9mm. I would like to take a look at the Hornady Critical Defense ammo though....

12. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

My list wasn't in any particular order.  I currently carry the Golden Saber, and haven't had the time or inclination to buy and test the DPX or Buffalo Bore Gold Dot for a carry test.  From what I have seen, the DPX and the Golden Saber are so close in performance there is no need to switch.  I might go with the DPX over the GS if I were just getting a round ready for carry as the weight of the ammo is about a third of an ounce less.  Hey, that is 3.5% with a P-3AT! LOL

The Speer factory-loaded Gold Dot has been pretty good in most of the tests I have seen, but lacked velocity.  The Buffalo Bore takes the same Uni-Core bullet and solves that problem!  That is why I included the BB but not the Speer loading.  I think it is going to take the Gold Dot from "good" to "great" as far as .380s go.

I included the Critical Defense based solely on the gel test video provided by Hornady.  Consider it a "provisional" endorsement until such time as we get to see some independent gel test results.  I would love to see a four way test with these three rounds!  Hornady has a lot of credibility with me and others, hence I tend to believe the gel test results where I might not with another manufacturer.

13. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008

DITTO!!!!!!!!! Jim <><

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

There are probably a half dozen or more rounds that all perfom in a similar manner.  Of course we know that shot placement trumps all.  I use DPX, mostly because Corbon delveloped that round while testing almost exclusively with a pair of P3ATs.  :cool:

There are those who don't think a JHP 380 round from a short barrel gets sufficient penetration.  They use FMJ, of which any round/brand will get good penetration, but no expansion.  I am not one of them, but if I lived where folks dressed in layers with a heavy coat on top, I might think differently.  Like PG in Vegas, most of the year in S TX, your bullet only needs to clear a t-shirt, if that.  I'm currently  looking for gel tests with one layer of wife beater on the front.  ;D

15. seabear1500

seabear1500 New Member

Nov 23, 2008

LMAO I'd like to see that test too.

16. OhioGunToter

OhioGunToter New Member

Dec 1, 2008

Is the buffalo bore conceder to be +p ammo???

17. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

There is no official standard for +P in .380ACP, so technically no. It is the highest energy round I have seen from a P-3AT though, FWIW.