Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody converted the P-3AT to 9mm?
Is it even possible?
The .380 round is 9x17mm and the 9mm round is 9x19mm. What if the chamber was bored deeper by 2mm?
Would the frame get beat up too much?
I wonder if it would recoil that much more than the .380. It seems like most of the energy would go out of the muzzle.
It would be sweet to have a 9mm handgun that weighs as little as a P3AT (8.3 oz. empty). ;D
Maybe it's called the PF-9 ;)
Thanks all

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Even if you lenthened the chamber, the longer 9mm rounds would still not fit in the mag. Besides, trust me, the 380acp pushes this particular platform to the max. No way this gun could handle 9mm, even if the shooter could.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
This company CLAIMS to be in the process of introducing a P-3AT sized pistol in 9x19mm. http://www.skyyindustries.com/Newspage.html They currently produce a P-11 clone/rip-off. That particular firearm has been for sale for the better part of a year by now, and I have yet to see a serial number approaching 2000. There have been ethical questions raised about their marketing practices and this has been documented on this board. I once reviewed chronographed ballistic data on the Rohrbaugh forum and as I recall velocities of the 9x19 out of such a short barrel were not a great deal higher than some .380 loads. Here's a thought if you want to approach 9x19 performance in a P-3AT, use 115gr hp's from this company: http://tinyurl.com/jwxwc/ Seems like kinda expensive ammo to me. Anybody wanna try some and let us know?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
PshootR said:
I once reviewed chronographed ballistic data on the Rohrbaugh forum and as I recall velocities of the 9x19 out of such a short barrel were not a great deal higher than some .380 loads.
Keep in mind that the Rohrbaugh says no +P ammo, which keep those numbers down. A P-3AT with Cor-Bon has less punch than the Rohrbaugh but it is still respectable.

Wilson – who’s all for the Rohrbaugh concept, just not the price and lack of +P :-/

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Check out their forum. You can find it. I'm not posting a link 'cause I get nauseous every time they get ANY publicity here.

Hmm... speaking of nausea, I think I need to ....
borrow an icon from the KTR:

OK, I feel much better now. ;)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
The R9 is 12.8 ounces. The PF9 is 12.7 ounces.

I don't think you can make a 9mm much lighter than that. :-/

I saw an R9 at the gs yesterday for $995. They sure are nice.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I went to look at an r9 with the intent of buying one, I was dissapointed by the width of the R9 they must not count the grips in their measurment also the grips felt to slick and the gun did not fit good in my hand.

Thats when I saw the Kel-tec P3AT for the first time, and I immediatley liked the size, weight, feel, and PRICE of the AT.

No brainer I put $100 down on the P3AT and went to get a permit.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
I've never shot a Rohbaugh R-9, but I've fondled 'em. It did not feel "natural" in my hand either. Not that a stock P-3AT is that great for me either, but at least I can modify the shape (+1 mag extension, back strap filler and modified Hogue HandAll Jr.) so that it is a pretty good fit in my (large) hand. I think the very high price is one of the attractions of the R-9, kinda like driving a Porsche. I know the R-9 is assembled to very close tolerances from occasionally reading their forum. My question is "Why?" I should think reliability would be enhanced by somewhat looser tolerances. This thread on THR list some 9mm velocities out of a R-9. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=81781

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shopped around awhile before buying the P3AT. The little gun fit my hand as good as a small gun could. It pointed very well, the sights line up almost instinctively. It is my go everywhere do everything gun during the warm weather.
However; like any guy I like to see what the limits are. Thats why I was wondering about packing 9mm into the P3AT body. Like TxCajun said: "Besides, trust me, the 380acp pushes this particular platform to the max. No way this gun could handle 9mm, even if the shooter could. " I must admit the gun does have a sharp recoil, my finger gets slapped by the trigger guard. That's okay, I usually shoot only 200 rnds at one range session.
I think the P3AT is the best bang for buck. And is one of the best weight/power packages around. Thanks all for the disscussion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a membership at the range, so range time is usually unlimited. I don't go often, about every other month, so I try to make it count. I should go more often. I've put about 600 rnds through the gun with no troubles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.