Contacts at Kel-tec

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Little_Z28, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Can someone tell me how to contact someone pretty high up at Kel-tec to discuss some issues? If you don't want to post it here, can you pm me? Thanks in advance, I have some information that I need to get across to higher power people than customer service reps.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    with a little google fu, GK's "home" address is available

3. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I do not wish to bother the guy at home. I have no problem speaking with him while he's at work however. One call this afternoon, one email this evening. They will continue until something happens.

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    What kind of issues and what kind of information?

5. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I called yesterday and sent some emails. I think they finally got the picture. Got a tracking number via email this afternoon, the gun is on its way back. I do not know if it's fixed, but it's on its way home, and will be traded in on something better unless it's fixed and works well.

My issue was keltec having my gun for 8 weeks, sending it back without the failures to eject being fixed. Then fixing it myself, and finding the firing pin channel is bored way off center and won't fire anything but American Eagle and Independence ammo. Sent it back, told on the phone that it'd take 3 weeks (and I had to send the whole gun, not just the slide). The day they recieved it, I got an email that said 4 to 6 weeks. Called after 6 weeks and they said 6 to 8 weeks. Called after 8 weeks, and now it's 9 to 10 weeks.

All in all, they've had my gun for 17 weeks and counting since February or April, when I bought it new. So I'm pretty disgusted, and I don't care what anyone says, they have quality control/customer service issues that have driven me away from purchasing any more guns from them.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Wow! 17 weeks is way out of the ordinary for KT. I do know that I read that there are some changes taking place at KT http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/news.htm. There building a new facility, buying new CNC machines, etc. That may have something to do with the delay or, it may have just gotten covered up and forgotten; I've done that many times myself. KT is usually not like this.

I definitely understand why your upset; I would be too. Understand though, that your experience is not normal by any evaluation. KT does make quality firearms that work---most of the time. As the third largest maker of semi-auto handguns in the U.S., KT makes a lot of guns every year. Unfortunately, lemons are part of the manufacturing process with all machines. As machines, gun sometime defy logic as to what is wrong. This occurs with all manufacturing companies including other gun makers. The Lord knows how many bad firearms I've bought over the years and none of those were KTs. The worst was a Taurus 38 Special. Although I do not currently own any Taurus guns, that doesn't mean I won't buy another---especially if I find one of their 1911s and have the money for it. (Usually I find what I want but don't have the funds readily available.)

The long and short of it is that someone at KT has soured your stomach toward the company and their products. Given the circumstances, it would sour anyone. I suspect you'll get rid of the gun even if KT has taken care of the issues. Before you do, look at the gun very carefully. There is the possibility that the gun they are sending is not the gun you sent them but a completely new gun with your old serial number on it. KT does this fairly regularly. Even if that's the case and all your issues are solved, you may not be able to look over all these other issues (17 weeks, etc). And really who could blame you?

The bottom line is that if you don't trust the gun with your life 100%, any gun for that matter, get rid of it. Get something you can trust. You'll find buyers I'm sure as long as your market isn't saturated with unsold guns. The owner of my LGS is a friend of mine. He's seen his sales fall off some over the last month. Others in KC have seen their sales come to a complete stop.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

7. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Gun shop got it back today, but I'll go pick it up tomorrow, I have work to do tonight around the house. I actually purchased another P3AT during all of this (hard chrome, black frame gun), and it is flawless. A completely different gun to look at and shoot than the first. I posted the whole story in the other post "P3AT Not Firing Most Ammo" where you can see the problems I was having. If the gun is repaired and works like the new one. If not, it's gone. I trust the second one that I bought, just don't know yet about the first.

I understand that they offer a really good warranty, no one else in the business does. However, when I buy something, and spend a decent amount of money on it, I expect it to perform well. Not excellent, or extraordinary, but well. I know that the gun sat there for 9 weeks untouched until I started calling again, and sent some emails. Then all the sudden something happened. If they would've let me send the slide in and exchange it like I proposed in the first place, I could've been up and running alot sooner. It takes 15 seconds to swap slides.

The thing that really flusters me is that the hot weather carring season is nearing an end. Now that winter's coming I'll be able to conceal larger guns easier, and will probably leave the P3AT at home. The only reason that I got them was for the warm weather portion of the year, and that's passed without it. So it's gonna sit in the safe while my Glock 26 and Kahr PM9 get used in the winter months.

We'll see, if they fixed it and it functions, I will keep it. If not, I'll move on...

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    for the cooler weather, a nice newyork reloader holster would be nice since you'll (might) have two ;)

9. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    If you're selling, I'm buying.

Honestly. :cool:

10. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I'll let you know next week. Probably gonna go pick it up tonight after work.

11. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I saw my first NY re-load holster this past weekend. They guy wearing it (at a local show) wasn't awfully big, but he had two full sized stainless 1911's on him. The center of his holster was right at the small of his back and the guns were symmetrically angled out a bit so that the grips were easier to get hold of. He had spare mags on both sides too. The rig and guns made him look like he had small wings. It was HUGE and must have weighed a ton. It sure was pretty, though. He reminded me of a modern version of Kevin Kostner's character in Silverado.