Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Still new to the forum, but have enjoyed the wealth of info on here.

I bought a new sub2k gen2 in 40 cal in February after falling in love with a friends. Unfortunately the first range trip was plagued with multiple failures to feed. When this occurs, the round starts up the feed ramp but before making it into the chamber the bolt catches it and wedges it. Leaving it pinched between the bolt and the feed ramp. Sometimes happens on the first round, and then happened every 2-3 rds after that. I have the one 10 Rd mag it came with (glock version if I didn't mention), two glock 22 rd mags, and one knock off 31 Rd mag. And it showed issues with all of them. Tried a different shooter and it was the same. Cleaned the gun well. Still the same. Sanded and polished the bolt. Same.

So after owning it a week, it went back to Keltec. Got it back after about 4 weeks with a work order saying they replaced the feed ramp and ejector. So I took it to the range this weekend, same mags, 3 different shooters, and while I had less issues it was still maybe 20-30 jams in 300 rds. Which still seems very high to me. So I went home and cleaned the gun well again. I then tried to manually cycle rds to see if I noticed anything. And....the 10 Rd mag would manually cycle all rounds 3/3 attempts. Both 22 rd mags had issues and would jam maybe 5-10 rds out of the mag. I tried both racking it myself. And letting the bolt fly from the locked position. No difference I could notice. So basically....I'm happy I have a 10 Rd mag I feel semi confident in. But I bought this to use higher capacity mags. I'm not sure if I send this back to Keltec again or if I try to service the mags (they are brand new, and I just don't think both could have issues). Anybody have any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post but I've read sooooo many threads on issues here and I wanted to try and provide all the info up front instead of piece wise through half a dozen posts.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
404 Posts
I see you've tried multiple magazines, multiple shooters, and sent it back already. But you failed to mention what type of ammo your having hiccups with and if you've tried different brands or not. Sometimes it can simply be the ammo choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct! I have only been using Blazer brass 180gr. I have around 450 rds through the gun now. The fact that one mag seems to work better makes me think it isn't the ammo. Plus, I don't think the gun should have an issue with it. I don't want to have to only shoot expensive premium ammo.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You are correct! I have only been using Blazer brass 180gr. I have around 450 rds through the gun now. The fact that one mag seems to work better makes me think it isn't the ammo. Plus, I don't think the gun should have an issue with it. I don't want to have to only shoot expensive premium ammo.
Many firearms, probably the majority, have problems with some ammo. No one but you mentioned expensive choices. Also, bullet profile or weight can cause problems. 180 grain 40 S&W loads of any brand have a fairly high incidence of failures in many different firearms due to their length. Try some mid-weight FMJ rounds of any of the lower priced brands. When you find one that works well, put a few hundred more rounds through it and then start shopping for different weights or profiles if you feel the need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WPhilB47, no worries, I was just mentioning that I expect some form of budget ammunition to work on a budget firearm. And I've never had issues with blazer in the past. But this is my first weapon in a 40.
Could you please suggest an ammo brand/weight you think might work better? I wasn't aware the profile really changed for fmj ammo from brand to brand. Is there a brand you think is smoother for picky firearms?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys so I just did some troubleshooting. Pushing the mag up while cycling did not make a difference. I also checked all the bolts in the receiver and everything is nice and snug. Keltec replaced my feed ramp but maybe it's still a feed ramp issue?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do yourself a favor and try a few other different brands of ammo. Doesn't have to be expensive defensive ammo. Federal, CCI/Speer, Winchester, etc........ all make inexpensive FMJ target loads. I've shot alot of Blazer brass myself but not in a Sub2k .40 since mine is a 9mm version. Blazer is usually a good bang for the buck. Unfortunately some firearms can just be picky with certain ammo loads and maybe yours just won't play nice with the Blazer stuff. It could very well be that might have been a bad batch of Blazer too. It happens sometimes.

When you find a load that hopefully that keeps you humming along instead of jamming buy up a decent amount and put some away for a rainy day and then have fun shooting the rest.

Hoping that's the case for your situation. If your still having trouble after testing some other loads report back please.

Best of luck with this.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
WPhilB47, no worries, I was just mentioning that I expect some form of budget ammunition to work on a budget firearm. And I've never had issues with blazer in the past. But this is my first weapon in a 40.
Could you please suggest an ammo brand/weight you think might work better? I wasn't aware the profile really changed for fmj ammo from brand to brand. Is there a brand you think is smoother for picky firearms?
I don't know about smoother, but here are some shorter and lighter loads that should be cost effective and available. 165 grain FMJ-T/P from Winchester, Federal, Speer Lawman, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, S & B. 155 grain FMJ/T/P from Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman, Federal. 155 grain JHP from Magtech. There many more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First thing is try different ammo. Even some factory ammo can have issues. If other brands still don't work then remove the bolt and see if the cartridge heads fit into the bolt head OK. Also, check to make sure the extractor moves easily. If not, lube it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I spoke with the guys at Keltec this morning and they recommended I stay with the heavy 180gr loads. I'm going to see what I can find this weekend in a couple different brands and maybe a lighter load for testing sake. They are sending me a few replacement parts to try and if those + the ammo change doesn't prove reliable it will be going back again. This was purchased as a self defense carbine and so far I have zero faith it's going to protect anything. The 22rd glock mags for it may be more useful as clubs at this point.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I spoke with the guys at Keltec this morning and they recommended I stay with the heavy 180gr loads. I'm going to see what I can find this weekend in a couple different brands and maybe a lighter load for testing sake. They are sending me a few replacement parts to try and if those + the ammo change doesn't prove reliable it will be going back again. This was purchased as a self defense carbine and so far I have zero faith it's going to protect anything. The 22rd glock mags for it may be more useful as clubs at this point.
Mind relaying to us just who at KelTec suggested 180 grain loads and not lighter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sean, the service manager. He told me to maybe use heavier loads to help break it in. I told him I was using 180gr blazer brass and he said that was good ammo it shouldn't have any issue with. And he wouldn't suggest going heavier, 180gr would have been his suggestion if I was using anything lighter.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thanks. I think most here will agree that heavy loads often are beneficial in the 9s during break-in due to the stiffness of the new actions and the need for more recoil than the lighter loads provide. I am absolutely unaware of many problems with Gen1/2 Subs in 40 needing more recoil. In fact, the opposite is a more common occurence. There have been problems reported more often with 180 grain loads. If it were mine, I would try a medium weight FMJ load. Good luck, no matter which way you go. It should handle 180s, and I would make KelTec fix that if I was set on shooting them, but it certainly should handle mid weight FMJs as they are in the same weight class as most of the defensive ammo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem sir. I would definitely prefer the rifle to shoot everything for occasions when I can't be particularly selective with ammo. Not to mention the fact that I bought a bunch of 180gr just for this gun. But I will still give some lighter loads a shot to see if those will cycle. I was unaware 180gr was known to have issues. Unless I get any other suggestions in the meantime I'll report back to you guys after the next range day.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Willing to try something?

Hold the butt of your rifle really REALLY tight to your shoulder the next time you shoot it. I mean solid. Don't shoulder it like an AR...put the full buttplate square on your shoulder, and hold it tight.

And make sure the rifle is a bit wet with lube.

Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haugrdr, I can give that a shot next time. I'll probably try out the rest of the 180gr ammo I have this weekend. So I'll do it then.
I took a dremel tool to the feed ramp last night and carefully polished it. Then made sure I saw no other burrs in the chamber. Tried manually cycling at the house to check it out. Still jams just the same. Every round I locked the bolt back and slapped it to let it fly forward to try and remove myself from the equation. Still jams. After going through 2 mags there was a bunch of brass shards/flakes in the chamber from where the interfering surfaces must have cut into the rounds.
Placing an order for lighter ammo today as the ammo prices in town are crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.