constant FTE's in new gun *UPDATE w/ pics*

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by xd-shawn, Dec 31, 2007.

1. xd-shawn

xd-shawn New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    well i thought all was well with this gun, ran 100rds thru it the day i got it without a single problem (rem/umc 95gr FMJ, along with some winchester rangers) ZERO problems, went home polished the feedramp, hammer face, ect all that stuff, took it out today with WWB and i couldn't get a single mag through it w/o FTE's where they'd catch on the rim of the next bullet, i checked the extractor it will hold the bullet fine, the gun has about 250rds thru it so far, it was well oiled and i'm at a loss of what to do, i searched the forum what should i do, i'm just not used to all the malfunctions coming from XD's i've never had a single malf. out of either one of them

when i could get it to feed every now and then i'd drop the mag and look at the chambered bullet and it would have 2 hit marks on the front of the bullet but it was chambered fine........

i'm at a loss

UPDATE, i went and got some more rem/umc, only made it 6 rounds before another FTE, here's a pic of what my gun is doing
    [​IMG]

here's a picture of my slide? is this a bad one?
    [​IMG]

what should i do? the bullets aren't tight in the chamber, what's this "hood mod" i hear everyone talking about and a link would be awesome, i'd really rather not send this back but i will if i have to, my SN starts with  JD if that helps any

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Re: constant FTE's in new gun

Have you checked to see if the buttonhead screw that holds in the extractor is tight?

3. xd-shawn

xd-shawn New Member

Dec 31, 2007

yeah the screw is tight, i actually removed it, cleaned, bent the spring just a tad, then went out and tried again only to deal with the same problem

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

The barrel tilting down on recoil, the extracting spent round rim catches on the mouth of the next in the magazine, the slide pulls away from lodged spent rim and picks up next round in magazine, but jams due to spent case.

Is that what you are having?

I had that during the break in and this seems to be similair to an original barrel design problem. A year or so ago, the recomended fix was to alter the chamber to allow for more case room during extraction. If yours is an older say before HHH00, you might need to look into performing the hood mod (or send it back to KT)

it could be yours has worn in just enough that the lack of hood clearance is becoming a problem. Several here with newer pistols have perform a hood mod

I took a different approach other than removing metal from the chamber. I added buffers to limit the barrel tilt and to hold the magazine firmly back.

5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004

8:00 AM January 7th, 2008, call 1-800-515-9983 Service Dept and request a new extractor, extractor spring and buttonhead. Install all new parts, lube the pistol, stop feeding it WWB and head to the range. Chances of getting the right tension bending the spring are very slim.

Wilson – who’s giving this patient a 90% chance of recovery without surgery :)

PS I’ll go $100 if you're serious about dumping it “as is”

6. velvalco

velvalco New Member

Dec 28, 2007

stop feeding it WWB and head to the range.

[/quote]

What's wrong with WWB for practice??

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

If they feed in your gun, no problem. There is just a though that WWB jams more than thr others. It could be related to the minimun charge.

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

IMO, I have never had any issues with WWB in 9mm, but for 380, they DO NOT work for me. I use Remington for 380, and never have any issues.

YMMV, ETC, SHOOBIE DOOBIE, and all other disclaimers apply

vrj - counting down the days until the gun show this weekend, and making his list now...

9. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004

All of my P-3ATs will now shoot WWB but some of them required considerable tinkering to do so. We’re talking not only polishing the feed ramp but in some cases additional polishing of slide rails, guide rod, barrel lug, hammer interface, etc. to eliminate as much friction drag as possible. Then the recoil springs can devote all energy to shoving that WWB cartridge up the ramp and into the chamber.

Wilson – who’s a big fan of truncated cone ammo for the P-3AT [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007

I've been lucky here, I shoot WWB almost exclusively. NO Problems!
    I think the flat nose of the WWB is what might cause the feed problems but I've polished my feed ramp and keep the gun well lubed.

Good luck and good shooting

DG

11. xd-shawn

xd-shawn New Member

Dec 31, 2007

well i'm gonna try some more of the rem/umc and see what happens today, if it still has problems i'll call keltec and ask for the new extractor/spring/screw, i'll post back with what happens later

12. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007

All of my P-3ATs will now shoot WWB but some of them required considerable tinkering to do so. We’re talking not only polishing the feed ramp but in some cases additional polishing of slide rails, guide rod, barrel lug, hammer interface, etc. to eliminate as much friction drag as possible. Then the recoil springs can devote all energy to shoving that WWB cartridge up the ramp and into the chamber.

Wilson – who’s a big fan of truncated cone ammo for the P-3AT  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    [/quote]

My P3AT absolutely runs great with WWB and these are very accurate in my gun.  Also, double check that you didn't accidently lose part #115 - EJECTOR

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

I had accidently dropped mine out once and obviously had FTEs.  But of course, reinstalling the ejector fixed the problem...

BTW, I've done absolutely nothing to my gun other than clean and lube it.  I have a First Generation P3AT.  My gun runs great with no failures with every brand of ammo I've put through it...Wolf, CCI aluminum cased Blazers, WWB, American Eagles, Pow'R Balls, Hornady HP XTP, and maybe some others I've forgotten.  The only trouble I've ever had was due to me:  the above missing part #115, and me not cleaning the gun well after shooting Wolf which is VERY dirty.  I had a few FTEs because the chamber was so fouled the cases were sticking in the chamber and the rims were getting ripped up by the extractor.  And, I had light primer strikes because the firing pin had gotten all gummed up with fouling.  After a thorough cleaning and good lube with plain old RemOil (and not shooting any more Wolf), the gun runs like a champ.

ClayMan

13. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007

My P3AT likes WWB. Then again I did a full tilt F&B before firing round one. The other day Walmart was out of 380 ammo and I found some cheep Independence FMJ ammo at a nearby gun shop. I had never heard of that brand, but it ran well and was smoking hot compared to WWB. No failures so I was happy, but my hand was sore.

14. velvalco

velvalco New Member

Dec 28, 2007

My P3AT is very new, i've only put 107 rounds of WWB through it. The only issue i have been having is the last round in the Mag will FTE. I'll try remingtons and see if that makes a difference. Will HP's be an issue if WWB is an issue?

15. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

This sounds like the classic missing #115 to me ;)
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

16. velvalco

velvalco New Member

Dec 28, 2007

This sounds like the classic missing #115 to me ;)
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html[/quote]

nope it's still there

17. xd-shawn

xd-shawn New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    details and pics added to the first post, still not fixed........ need help on the "hood mod"

18. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I’ve done half a dozen or so barrel-hood-modifications but I never had to do one on a P-3AT that operated perfectly for the first 100 rounds. Has your P-3AT had bent-mouth disease since you purchased it (mouth of extracted brass badly bent)? My money is still on replacement of the extractor, extractor spring and buttonhead.

Wilson – who’s recommending moderation in all most things [smiley=evil.gif]

19. xd-shawn

xd-shawn New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    nope, no bent casings, do you think the extractor could have went bad after just 100rds?? the edges on it are sharp, while hand cycling you can feel the chambered case catch on the next round when racking the slide very slowly

20. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    if only the last round will not eject, I am with wilson on this one.  and get a new part 115 while you are at it...

the hood mod has really only been done on those that did not work "out of box", if I recall correctly. not on guns that worked then failed....