Considering a 1st Gen p3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by skifast, Mar 30, 2009.

1. skifast

skifast New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    What should I be concerned about? Any suggested modifications, if I buy the gun?

2. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I bought my first generation P3AT when they first came out, and I am still using it without any modifications (other than a good fluff and buff). Has never failed me in any way. I actually prefer it over the newer model as I like the lines better and the original style extactor. JMHO.

Jim R

3. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    I've had a 1st gen for years. It has been totally reliable and no issues. I did the fluff&buff and ramp mod to minimize smileys and thats it. I shoot it better for some reason than 2nd gens...maybe the sights?

4. Bob_K

Bob_K New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Davie County, NC
    My first gen has been great. Just keep them clean and oiled.

5. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Same here. :) The only mods I did was a rampectomy to help reduce smileys and the new style hammer block.

6. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    anyone got pics of the old vs new p3at? a guy i work with said he had on older p3 and when he shot it it bit his hand and sold it right after. I personally think it was his fault for not holding the pistol correctly but who knows. So whos got the pics?

7. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    glean and grease good. shoot it, then see if you need to do the f&b. nothing else.

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Right here under FAQs & VIPs.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1118894836/0#0

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I like them.  A generalization, I think, is that they tend to be a little more ammo-selective (FTF/FTE) and have a higher incidence of need for a rampectomy (smilies).  They are a tad lighter, more aesthetically appealing (IMO), and I prefer their sights.  A handful of people to my knowledge, have sent them in for service and gotten back a new 2nd gen gun.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm