·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Reactions: BlakeHanson

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This is why I drive 45 minutes versus, 15. That’s actually the least restrictive part of that (local) ranges membership requirements.
There’s also a list of what you can’t do... versus do anything reasonable, and 2 times a year we all come out and do a work day together to maintain facilities....

off topic but...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Win for the liberals. The NRA has always been rated as the most successful lobbying group around. All you are doing is handing Bloomberg a win. Pay your dues. Instead of answering donation emails donate straight to NRAILA or NRA Civil Rights Defense they are audited programs. Dues can be used however they want, donations have to stay with the programs.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Win for the liberals.
Thanks to Wayne and cronies.

The NRA has always been rated as the most successful lobbying group around.
No it hasn't. But it did get that reputation in the last 50 years or so, particularly following the Cincinnati Revolt.

All you are doing is handing Bloomberg a win.
If refusing to accept, condone, and participate in Fraud, Waste, and Abuse is handing Bloomborg a win, then we don't deserve to win.

donate straight to NRAILA or NRA Civil Rights Defense they are audited programs. Dues can be used however they want, donations have to stay with the programs.
That's fair. I'll have to look up the details to see what's what on that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Uncle_Jesse

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
donate straight to NRAILA or NRA Civil Rights Defense they are audited programs. Dues can be used however they want, donations have to stay with the programs.

I will also look at this. I did not know they had anything that did not take a chunk out for wine and caviar before it got to the actual needs.

Does not change my underlying dislike of their attacks on the 1st amendment and refusal to fight for bump stocks and nor decry trumps attack on silencers and so on.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ask yourself what the current state of gun laws in this country would look like if it weren’t for the NRA?
Given the massive amount of leftists and anti gunners who have long targeted the NRA with a vengeance ( Hillary declared them her number one enemy) how can you not see that your apparent abandonment of the country’s oldest civil rights and pro gun organization is like you driving the nails into your own coffin?

"Have done" is right. I've also been a member for at least 30 years and a Life member for over half that and now a Patron and Endowment. The NRA has done much - they are NOT now doing as much. They've have blown a ton of money on Wayne and Chris Cox at $1 mill annual income for Wayne and $800 K annual income for Cox. Give ME a break! Just like politicians, fat cats getting fatter. I'd like an accounting of how much these two have "donated" to the cause. I'm not done with the NRA, yet....they better police themselves better or I will be.

As a life member for over 30 years now I have to wonder how many of the gun guys now piling on the NRA along with David Hogg and the rest of the “ enlightened progressives” are actually members. And if you are or were how many of you regularly took the time to actually vote for their board of directors and ELECTED officers.

Name one organization that has done anywhere near as much to protect your constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

·
Registered
555 Posts
well said. The phrase " don't cuff your nose off to spite your face" always come to mind when this is discussed.

The left absolutely loves this. Play their game and dump the NRA or stand up and fight to fix the NRA. By all means support other pro 2nd amendment groups. Do what you can to strengthen them but sorry kids they ain't ready for prime time yet. Dumping the NRA at this point in the battle with expectations that the smaller groups will hold the line is a bit like running off the army and expecting the Ohio national guard to stop the Russians. They may have the drive and the spirit but they do not have the horsepower.
Some of you are anrgy, rightly so. Put emotions aside step back and think don't cut your nose off to spite your face. What's more important punishing Lapierre or preserving your grandchildren rights?
My emotions are aside - the NRA is NOT policing their expenditures at the expense of their membership. They are not reigning themselves in and they are blowing precious money to party NOT defend our freedoms. Wayne needs to step aside... he is not a very good public speaker anyway. We need an Oliver North or a Charleton Heston. Wayne makes $1 mill/year!!!! Did you get that? Think of all the years he's been there - I sure dont live like he does and I'm done sending in my extra hard earned bucks with Wayne partying my donations away. If the NRA goes away they will have shot themselves in the foot not me!

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Because it was time to renew both my Instructor Credentials (RSO, Rifle, Pistol) and my Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network membership, I decided to join the Second Amendment Foundation.

I mean, it's $15 per year. Heck, a Lifetime Memership is only $150. I might do that next time I re-up. And I guaran-dang-tee you that Alan Gottlieb has done a darn sight more to advance and protect our 2nd Amendment freedoms than Wayne LaPierre has over the last 20 years!

Link here:
https://www.saf.org/join-saf/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Because it was time to renew both my Instructor Credentials (RSO, Rifle, Pistol) and my Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network membership, I decided to join the Second Amendment Foundation.

I mean, it's $15 per year. Heck, a Lifetime Memership is only $150. I might do that next time I re-up. And I guaran-dang-tee you that Alan Gottlieb has done a darn sight more to advance and protect our 2nd Amendment freedoms than Wayne LaPierre has over the last 20 years!
Agreed...when deciding where my hard earned money would go, decided on the SAF. Also joined their related organization, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. I'm a Life Member of both.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bloomberg has spent $100,000,000 out of pocket over the past few years to beat the NRA, not including his illegal $18,000,000 donation to the DNC, New York State contributions, using Bloomberg Media to push opinion pieces, or putting his name on an anti gun think tank at John's Hopkins.

The NRA spends 5% of that and has more influence than Everytown and its predecessors Mom's Demand Action and Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Do we want to get rid of Wayne? Yes. Just like Trump isn't the perfect President, that doesn't mean vote for Biden.

Am I going to support less successful groups that have not done as much or don't have the influence? I support VCDL as a State organization donate to ILA and PVF. I also donate to GOA.

BTW, Alan Gottlieb is an NRA Life Member.

·
Grand Poobah
1,397 Posts
...donate straight to NRAILA or NRA Civil Rights Defense they are audited programs. Dues can be used however they want, donations have to stay with the programs.
I will also have to check this out. How is NRA-PVF? I would like to support NRA, but don't trust the leadership. Donating to an audited fund to support specific activities would be a good compromise. This could be a way to starve the hogs, but feed the attack dogs.

buzzsaw

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Am I going to support less successful groups that have not done as much or don't have the influence?
You're kidding me, right? Of the 9 current firearms rights cases seeking a hearing by SCOTUS right now, 5 of them are directly SAF cases and another 2 (or is it 3) are cases joint with SAF. What cases has the NRA brought? Did the NRA lobby Trompe to NOT fiat ban bump stocks or did Wayne & co. give him the green light, help me remember? Has Wayne & co. done anything to dissuade Trompe babbling his anti-silencer schtick? Did the NRA actually manage to successfully lobby the Republicans to push through the Hearing Protection Act when they held both houses AND the POTUS? No? Maybe if Wayne hadn't flow in a private jet to eat $1,000 steaks in his $5,000 suit along with all his buddies, all on member dues, maybe some of that could have happened.

BTW, Alan Gottlieb is an NRA Life Member.
I'm still a member too. What's your point?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I set GOA Foundation as my Amazon Smile charity so they get a small portion of my Amazon purchases. It makes donating to a good no-compromise 2A organization very easy.
My local gun range is closed here in PA, however the owner is open by appointment to do transfers. Went to pick up a new gun yesterday and the owner had a lot of good things to say about GOA as they are actively helping him and others to get reopened and declared essential.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
The NRA is much better at marketing than they are at legislative action. The best parts of the NRA are the local efforts that aren't screwed up by the corrupt NRA leadership - gun safety education, etc. Nationally, the NRA talks a lot about what they are doing, but they have accomplished little in defense of the second amendment. Most of the NRA victories are protecting and expanding federal lands for hunting. They're much more about hunting than a true defense of the right to bear arms, and I suspect that's where so many anti-gun groups and politicians get the notion that gun rights are all about hunting.

The NRA is effective at lobbying. They're all about political machinations, but that has been more a matter of scaring gun owners into paying them to gradually compromise away our rights. On balance, when the NRA is measured purely on the basis of defending the right to bear arms, I'd give them a negative score. For decades, they have enabled the death by a million cuts of gun control by giving politicians tacit permission to infringe a little here and a little there, while telling us that we need to give more or next time we'll lose even more.

Tim Harmsen, Pete Brownell, Rob Pincus, Jeff Knox (son of Neal Knox of The Revolt In Cincinnati), Adam Kraut, et cetera have fought hard to try to reform the NRA from within. Guess what. The NRA doesn't want to be reformed. People in power always work to maintain and enhance that power. The bloated board of directors is stacked with Wayne LaPierre supporters. The NRA leadership is overwhelmingly corrupt and self serving. TINVOWOOT - There Is No Voting Our Way Out Of This. Keep donating money and you're only strengthening the corrupt leadership.

Politics is the art of compromise, but we can't afford to compromise away our fundamental and inalienable rights.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I'm going to assume 45424 is the correct zip-code.
Just promise that you won't doxx me when it gets there.
I received an envelope in the snailmail yesterday. Looks like someone in Ohio is getting a donation; either a Trainer, or Buckeye Firearms (Ohio's state advocacy group). :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actively or passively, NRA supported almost all gun bans, limits, restrictions, etc.
Don't trust me - check it out yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I'm going to assume 45424 is the correct zip-code.
Just promise that you won't doxx me when it gets there.
Buckeye Firearms Association, the Ohio state firearms advocacy group, has just gotten a membership update and The Second Amendment Foundation just got a donation.

They both thank you very much, at least that's what the stock message with Alan Gotlieb's signature said. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I'll stick with the NRA. They still have influence and can clean up their act. They have done a lot of good during their time and can get back to it with the right people. You know they have clout even now. They are the top target of the left and need our support now more then ever. I won't abandon them. WLP and some others need to go but there are still many good administrators. Reminds of the Teamsters Union during Hoffa's time. My uncle was a member and I asked him about Hoffa. He said he didn't like him but he could be voted out but the basic tenants of the union are solid. As we all know Hoffa never made it to the ballot.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts