Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I renew my NRA membership when due but ignore the constant letters. GOA is a good organization.
I hear this a lot. I know they use this marketing technic because it evidently brings in the money... But it's irritating. There is a way to stop the on going blitz of mail and emails, you have to sign into your membership online or call their main number and request they stop. I did so when I was an annual member and the junk mail and emails did stop. I might have got 1 or 2 a year after that.
As a lifetime member now I get hit up about 4 time a year for donations or raffles and that seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Alright so now it’s May, NRA membership is due. Haven’t seen anything since this thread went dark 8 months ago regarding general consensus on Wayne and their financial fiasco. I do support everything 2A, and enjoy about 2/3’s of the issue of American rifleman every month. After that my pro-NRA feelings stop.

So what are y’all doing in this department?

Leaning towards finding another 2A organization to support. GOA?

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
I set GOA Foundation as my Amazon Smile charity so they get a small portion of my Amazon purchases. It makes donating to a good no-compromise 2A organization very easy.

Text Font Screenshot Line Technology

Reactions: mark40

·
Read Only
69 Posts
No way am I supporting a group that continually cries for money, while the top dog spends over $50 K in group money, flying a hairdresser around the country to do his wife's hair. When Wayne " the drain" is gone, I'll rejoin. But not until then.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Alright so now it’s May, NRA membership is due. Haven’t seen anything since this thread went dark 8 months ago regarding general consensus on Wayne and their financial fiasco. I do support everything 2A, and enjoy about 2/3’s of the issue of American rifleman every month. After that my pro-NRA feelings stop.

So what are y’all doing in this department?

Leaning towards finding another 2A organization to support. GOA?
Mine came due. I paid to stay a voting member. But they're not getting any donations. I'm staying, and paying to do so, for the right to be able to vote for change.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
555 Posts
No way am I supporting a group that continually cries for money, while the top dog spends over $50 K in group money, flying a hairdresser around the country to do his wife's hair. When Wayne " the drain" is gone, I'll rejoin. But not until then.
Yeah. I'm a Life Patron Endowment member and told NRA to put me on their "do not call back" list. Wayne Lapierre makes a cool $1mill /year a d their Legislative Action of lawyer guy Chris? Cox was making $800k /year. I told the Rep to get my donation from either of those two. It's a sad time for the NRA, but they can't be wasting money - nope, we need another Charlton Heston.

·
Read Only
69 Posts
Yeah. I'm a Life Patron Endowment member and told NRA to put me on their "do not call back" list. Wayne Lapierre makes a cool $1mill /year a d their Legislative Action of lawyer guy Chris? Cox was making $800k /year. I told the Rep to get my donation from either of those two. It's a sad time for the NRA, but they can't be wasting money - nope, we need another Charlton Heston.
Or Ollie North back and in charge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I taught another Ohio CHL (concealed carry) class this weekend. At the end of class I have a segment on joining pro-firearms advocacy group. I have always advocated for the NRA as one of the best bang-for-the-buck, if for no other reason then because of their breadth and influence. This time I didn't. I told them, without much details, that until the NRA gets their act cleaned up maybe the students should consider one of the other advocacy groups such as Buckeye Firearms, The Second Amendment Foundation, or even JPFO. I told them that I'm keeping my membership up because I want the NRA to reform and, as a voting eligible member, I at least have that. But the students, on the other hand, might want to wait on the NRA and join something else for now.

Wayne LaPierre and his cronies have to go.

BTW, I have now heard of at least three different organizations which have sprung up since the debacle at the last NRA Annual Meeting with the specific aim of forcing LaPierre & cronies out and reforming the NRA to be what it is supposed, NEEDS, to be. One of them is aimed at big doners and what if I heard is even half right is going to cost the NRA millions of lost donations. Another one is Save The Second ( http://www.savethe2a.org/ ), spearheadded by well known firearms trainer Rob Pincus and Jeff Knox, the son of Neal Knox the engineer of the famous Cincinatti Revolt which is credited for changing the direction of the NRA in 1977. This is the one which I am supporting and which I think is the best vehicle for the average NRA member to affect change.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I no longer support the NRA after being a very long time member.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Ask yourself what the current state of gun laws in this country would look like if it weren’t for the NRA?
Given the massive amount of leftists and anti gunners who have long targeted the NRA with a vengeance ( Hillary declared them her number one enemy) how can you not see that your apparent abandonment of the country’s oldest civil rights and pro gun organization is like you driving the nails into your own coffin?

As a life member for over 30 years now I have to wonder how many of the gun guys now piling on the NRA along with David Hogg and the rest of the “ enlightened progressives” are actually members. And if you are or were how many of you regularly took the time to actually vote for their board of directors and ELECTED officers.

Name one organization that has done anywhere near as much to protect your constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This question has come up in our house this year.
Keeping a membership to stay involved is one thing but giving extra funds is another. Floyd Eye makes a good point. One thing for sure the left and the politicians have sure put a wedge in the NRA supporters. I myself like Iklawson have some serious questions. My 89 year old father-in-law before he passed over a year ago warned me about the lack of support growing for the way the NRA spends our funds. This issue has gotten worse this past x2 years and by design so we all need to consider this fork in the road. Is anyone really fighting to protect your constitutional right to keep and bear arms? Yes! Local State groups and the NRA. How much do you give is up to you. This is a mess and will not get better without a fight. Shed some light on the spending and get someone in charge that will get back to supporting the Constitution!

Reactions: 126342

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ask yourself what the current state of gun laws in this country would look like if it weren’t for the NRA?
Given the massive amount of leftists and anti gunners who have long targeted the NRA with a vengeance ( Hillary declared them her number one enemy) how can you not see that your apparent abandonment of the country’s oldest civil rights and pro gun organization is like you driving the nails into your own coffin?

As a life member for over 30 years now I have to wonder how many of the gun guys now piling on the NRA along with David Hogg and the rest of the “ enlightened progressives” are actually members. And if you are or were how many of you regularly took the time to actually vote for their board of directors and ELECTED officers.

Name one organization that has done anywhere near as much to protect your constitutional right to keep and bear arms.
well said. The phrase " don't cuff your nose off to spite your face" always come to mind when this is discussed.

The left absolutely loves this. Play their game and dump the NRA or stand up and fight to fix the NRA. By all means support other pro 2nd amendment groups. Do what you can to strengthen them but sorry kids they ain't ready for prime time yet. Dumping the NRA at this point in the battle with expectations that the smaller groups will hold the line is a bit like running off the army and expecting the Ohio national guard to stop the Russians. They may have the drive and the spirit but they do not have the horsepower.
Some of you are anrgy, rightly so. Put emotions aside step back and think don't cut your nose off to spite your face. What's more important punishing Lapierre or preserving your grandchildren rights?

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

You assume that we're not supporting any. You're wrong.

What makes you think the NRA is doing much of anything right now? They've been wasting money on suits, private jets, and mansions for Wayne instead of spending it on the actual fight.

As for alternatives, SAF has been hammering law suits at all levels, from SCOTUS on down. Heck, the two most important SCOTUS cases, Heller and McDonald, didn't have support from the NRA until near the very end when the NRA (in Heller) tried to take it over and roll it into some other scam case they thought would get them more money and acclaim.

Look, I want to support the NRA. They've done a lot of good in the past, and they have been the 800 lb gorilla for a long time. Unfortunately, Wayne and his cronies have effed it all up with their greed. Get rid of them and get the NRA back on course again and most of those who left the NRA will come back. They didn't abandon the NRA, they abandoned Wayne and his abuses.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well since I ripped the scab off this quiet thread. I’ve still not decided which membership I’m renewing or new org to support. I have decided at the least I’m going to use this quarantine time to write an email/letter or four to every person/part of the NRA and state my opinion of what they are doing. I plan to to send these letters in their postage paid envelopes that come with every new request for memebership and money.

What’s the SAF again, liked the sound of what they’re doing...

·
Grand Poobah
1,397 Posts
NRA Life Member here. The local rifle club requires NRA membership. What did my dues and past donations pay for? A tie? A shoe? Maybe not even a whole shoe for LaPew.

Just where the hell was the NRA the last year and several months? Nowhere near Virginia, obviously. And what little they did do, appeared to be counter-productive. Now Bloomberg is casting evil eyes on Georgia and Texas, saying “You’re next!”

I’m looking at yet another missive from NRA, asking for donations, this one threatening the end of the NRA itself, along with the loss of “American freedom as we know it.” This New York legal malfeasance issue is self-inflicted. Let me make one thing perfectly clear: Rights, by their nature, can not be lost. They exist regardless of the government’s stand. The government can only recognize and defend, or ignore and trample our rights. They are still OUR rights. The worst the government can do is make the exercise of our rights difficult, expensive or dangerous. If the government goes this way, it is contingent on us to make it difficult, expensive, and yes, dangerous, for it to do so.

Our liberty and respect for our rights were bought and paid for with blood, sweat, and tears shed around the world on countless battlefields, beaches and home fronts throughout our history. Sadly, it may be incumbent upon us to exact a similar price from those who would ignore and trample our rights.

Although I am not military or law enforcement, as a federal employee, I took basically the same oath, and I am obligated to "...uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic." Anyone who would issue or enforce edicts that are contrary to the Constitution is an enemy of the Constitution, and I am bound by my oath to deal with them accordingly.

I recently upgraded to be a life member of GOA. To paraphrase President Lincoln, when referring to General Grant, “They fight.” I am getting to the age where yearly dues or life membership would be about the same. However, I’ve drawn my lines, and if that certain party takes over in November, and they try to do what they’ve been talking about, the rest of my life could be quite short. This way, GOA has that money, and more, to work with now, and perhaps stave off the necessity of armed resistance. (Training for the dreadful possibility of combat has been a good excuse to get in better shape, and improve my marksmanship.)

:trend:
:pewpew:buzzsaw

·
Grand Poobah
1,397 Posts
Well since I ripped the scab off this quiet thread. I’ve still not decided which membership I’m renewing or new org to support. I have decided at the least I’m going to use this quarantine time to write an email/letter or four to every person/part of the NRA and state my opinion of what they are doing. I plan to to send these letters in their postage paid envelopes that come with every new request for memebership and money.

What’s the SAF again, liked the sound of what they’re doing...
It's the Second Amendment Foundation. I am thinking about joining them.

buzzsaw-Gun Owners of America-life member, Georgia Carry-member, NRA-life member (donations suspended until they clean up their act), considering joining SAF and a few others...

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Given the massive amount of leftists and anti gunners who have long targeted the NRA with a vengeance ( Hillary declared them her number one enemy) how can you not see that your apparent abandonment of the country’s oldest civil rights and pro gun organization is like you driving the nails into your own coffin?...
We need every 800-pound gorilla we can muster.
If anti-gun groups can spew a bunch of propaganda that we drink like Kool-aid and they convince us to saw off one of the legs we are standing on, we deserve what we get:
https://www.thektog.org/threads/oh-canada.273792/page-2#post-2488550
...All over a lousy 40 bucks:wall:.
Stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
We need every 800-pound gorilla we can muster.
If anti-gun groups can spew a bunch of propaganda that we drink like Kool-aid and they convince us to saw off one of the legs we are standing on, we deserve what we get:
https://www.thektog.org/threads/oh-canada.273792/page-2#post-2488550
...All over a lousy 40 bucks:wall:.
Stupid.
Nope. It's not that at all. If the $40 was actually going to the fight, or training, or ranges, etc., that'd be fine. But when the $40 is actually going to buy Wayne another $5,000 suit, private jets, or a new house, then people have problems with it. If we wanted our $40 to go to a 3-piece suit, I'd buy it for myself. I want it to go to advocacy, to training, to lobbying, to ranges, to PSA's and publicity, not a private jet for Wayne when even Senators fly public.

It's not stupid to be fiscally responsible.

Tell you what though. I just paid to renew my voting membership. Since it's only $40, I'm OK with you reimbursing me. Send it to:
Kirk Lawson
6402 Larcomb Dr.
Huber Heights, OH

I'll spend it for training, advocacy, or range improvement.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Tell you what though. I just paid to renew my voting membership. Since it's only $40, I'm OK with you reimbursing me. Send it to:
Kirk Lawson
6402 Larcomb Dr.
Huber Heights, OH

I'll spend it for training, advocacy, or range improvement.
I'm going to assume 45424 is the correct zip-code.
Just promise that you won't doxx me when it gets there.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts