Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys travel to other states with your firearms? I am heading to STL next month for a Cardinals game. I am in TN and I know MO accepts my CHL, just wondering what you do when you are staying a few days in another city in hotel. I know I cannot carry to the stadium, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Try to find out if the hotel happens to have those little in-room safes. Otherwise, you'll have a bit of a challenge finding a safe place to leave your piece while at the game. And just leaving it in the hotel room is not what I would recommend or feel comfortable with, regardless of the law.

If you are driving (not flying) and happen to have one of those lockboxes affixed to your car, I suppose that would be OK for the duration of the game. I would only do so in an attended lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lock it up in your car before you get to the stadium. The parking lot attendants don't need the temptation.

The hotel safes have a default code that the hotel staff knows. There is even a video on youtube that shows how to open them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How do you guys travel to other states with your firearms? I am heading to STL next month for a Cardinals game. I am in TN and I know MO accepts my CHL, just wondering what you do when you are staying a few days in another city in hotel. I know I cannot carry to the stadium, etc.

Thanks.
Just found this about CCW in STL:

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2012/04/concealed-carry-at-nra-annual-meeting.html

and this:

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
Guns are banned on all public transportation and public, not privately owned parking facilities. Carry in prohibited areas is not generally illegal unless a police officer is called, in which case it is a misdemeanor generally, but CCW in other areas is a felony.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You know (hope u don't mind a teeny thread hijack), I keep wondering what I do if/when traveling by plane to another state. Obviously I am not going to CCW but how does one do it? Obviouslu gun unloaded and separate from ammo but, for ex, do I have to inform anyone that there is a firearm in my checked luggage? What about ammo? I live in Oregon btw and my sis is in Texas but I wouldn't mind an extended answer about airplane travel and handguns in general. Thanks.

Pin: wow. You can't carry on buses? That's terrible if u depend on them for travel. It means you can't have your gun with you the rest of the day out wherever you go. It's almost like you lose your right to carry (into situations where you may most need it).

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I did not do it, but I can help here.

Visiting alaska, there were about 50 signs in their airport on how you do your guns. They have to be in certain types of containers, marked as guns, sealed, and a bunch of crap. You have to tell them right away and go thru a special line that handles it for you. If passing through a state where the gun is illegal, they have to seal the case a certain way and mark it a certain way --- they figure all that out in the special gun line at the airport. Basically, tell the first person you talk to and get the process started asap, then do what they tell you. Also, since the darn thing is labeled GUN, have it insured against theft, as every airport employee that sees it will know. I am not 100% sure but I think you claim the luggage in a special place with ID.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have gone between OR, AZ, and CA with a pistol in checked baggage. Locking container, declare it at baggage check - not curbside (!) They will put a form in your bag, but no longer mark it from the outside. You can expect them to pass it for screening separate from other bags.

Unloaded, obviously. And whatever you do at either end (transportation, carry, etc.) needs to be legal in that locality.

Your airline's website will have a brief but clear guide on what to do. I *think* you can have ammo in the container, just not in the gun. I would avoid a charged magazine, and use a factory ammo box.

In OAK one time the girl behind the counter checked it for being unloaded herself - she handled it properly. Another time they had no idea how to check a gun was unloaded, I had to do it at the counter for her. I don't believe they make you do this anymore - you declare it to be unloaded, and they don't make a practice of having a anyone at the counter open the box and handle a gun. It's been years since I've gone this, and I imagine much has changed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Conceal carry info from Drury Hotels in St. Louis

Good morning Mr. Scott,

I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. We wanted to check with Drury Hotels head of security to find this information for you. While you are allowed to bring your weapon to your room, it may not be carried into public areas within the hotel (such as the breakfast or 5:30 Kickback) or around the hotel. We are unable to allow you to leave your weapon unsecured in the room for any reason. If the weapon is left in the room and discovered by housekeeping, the policy is to contact the local police department to seize the weapon, at which point you would need to retrieve it from them. Unfortunately, the hotel will be unable to store the weapon in the hotel safe. In regards to carrying the weapon outside of our hotel, you will need to check to see if Missouri is a reciprocal state with Tennessee concerning the concealed permit.

I hope this information is useful to you. Please let me know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you for choosing Drury Hotels!

Lori Blount
Support Services Supervisor (NCC)
1-800-378-7946
[email protected]
www.druryhotels.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts