Comparison Of Sig P238 Vs. Kel-Tec P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mxitman, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I have recently picked up a couple of Sigs new P238 took some pics and some measurements to compare it to my P3AT.

The 238 is a little longer, but the trigger is better since its not also the safety as it is in the P3At & you have a slide lock, safety and night sites!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm blown away. I'd never seen comparison pics, just the 238 by itself.

I thought it was a LOT larger than the 3AT. It's pretty darned close!!! And 4 oz difference?!?!

AND it's a Sig?!

Oh boy.

;D

3. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I've been tempted to get one of these too -- I love the 1911 platform. But the 1911 has a grip safety in addition to the thumb safety this one doesn't. I'm worried about carrying cocked and locked with only one link in the safety chain.

4. ctm

ctm New Member

Jul 10, 2009
    +1
    I LOVE my big SIG...guess I'll have to look at a 238, even though I'm really a 9mm and bigger kinda guy.

5. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I've had a Mustang Pocketlite .380 for some time now. It is essentially the same pistol as the Sig P238, and is a great gun. I'd carry holstered in condition one, OWB, and never, ever had any safety issues. I bought the P3AT to replace it because the Mustangs are becoming a bit pricey and I'd like to try to retain some of its value. So for now, it's in the safe (yeah, like I have a safe...). The P3AT is a great little pistol - I love mine. It was not difficult to put down the Mustang and pick up the Kel Tec. That said, the Mustang or 238 is an excellent pistol: the size and weight are comparable to the P3AT, the safety is a down-sweep by the thumb and is easily trained, and the sights are superior to the P3AT. Not that you'd want to engage a target too far out. As belly guns, I see one being just as good as the other.

6. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    it's pretty ugly though. :-/

7. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008

The single action Sig has an 8.25# trigger pull while the double action Kel-Tec has a 7.25# trigger pull.

The Sig P238 will gong 6" steel at 25 yards all day, easily accurate enough for self defense at that range. The Kel-Tec will do it with a laser, but the sights aren't up to it.

I have 1000rds and counting through my P238 and used it for most of a course at Front Sight (ran out of .380ammo and finished with a 9mm EMP). I used a P11 once about 6 years ago, but wouldn't use the 3AT.

Funny how the fans of mainstream Sigs are not fond of the P238, but most 1911 guys get lust in their eye like a chubby 10 year old who sees an ice cream truck coming down the street.

8. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    The Sig Sauer website claims 5.0 lbs pull for the SAO trigger on the P238.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=67&productid=265

The single action Sig has an 8.25# trigger pull while the double action Kel-Tec has a 7.25# trigger pull.

The Sig P238 will gong 6" steel at 25 yards all day, easily accurate enough for self defense at that range. The Kel-Tec will do it with a laser, but the sights aren't up to it.

I have 1000rds and counting through my P238 and used it for most of a course at Front Sight (ran out of .380ammo and finished with a 9mm EMP). I used a P11 once about 6 years ago, but wouldn't use the 3AT.

Funny how the fans of mainstream Sigs are not fond of the P238, but most 1911 guys get lust in their eye like a chubby 10 year old who sees an ice cream truck coming down the street.

[/quote]

9. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
  10. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    (Golden Loki said:) "The single action Sig has an 8.25# trigger pull while the double action Kel-Tec has a 7.25# trigger pull."

Same pull force, but doesn't the fact that the KT is not cocked and the Sig hammer is already back make the KT safer even with similar effort to pull?  Don't really know the failure modes that could cause a misfire with the Sig.  (This could get expensive for me if you end up convincing me it's just as safe.)

11. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    The Sig is just as safe as the P3AT. It's just that some people have a hang-up about carrying in condition one. Like I said, I never had a problem with it.

12. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Good question.

I don't have an opinion, as I believe the thumb safety should be on until you are ready to fire. I doubt it would go off unless the trigger is pulled though. :)

GL

13. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Great comparison - thanks!!!!

14. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Pretty cool. I can't wait to see one in person. I didn't realize the Sig and the P3AT were so similar in size.

15. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Yea I wish I had a trigger pull gauge to see where it's at, at least I know I only need to move it 1/16" vs like a 1/2"+ like on the P3AT.

Remember rule #2.
    If you do that it won't go off.

I put some snap caps in mine while doing draw,function tests heck I'll even admit that I dropped it by accident, I had the safety off and was doing some fancy exercises (never with live ammo even close to me) and beside a ding or 2 on the barrel and bottom of the grip it didn't trip the sear! I feel very confident in keeping it cocked and locked, I carried a Colt Mustang Government for a couple of years, it was the larger 7 round mag .380 mustang. If I wore it IWB The safety on it would always get clicked off due to the weak spring, I never felt too worried about, just sad when I traded it for a Win 94 in 30/30. Now the colt gun is worth $800+ and my 30/30 about $400 post 64 version....

16. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Great comparison post. :)

But hey are you trying to steal away some of these loyal PT3AT fans - shame on you. ;D

17. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  18. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Good post.

Yep, there have been some kinks to work out of the P238, there are a few posts about it in that other forum generally about Sigs.

I could have lived with the ugly but the down sides for me are the c0cked and l0cked carry and the $$$ for a pocket gun.

19. ctm

ctm New Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I do have to agree with the cocked & locked scenario, that's one of the best things about SIG's for me (a non 1911 action). Not sure why they chose to go that way on this gun...maybe American engineering instead of Swiss?

20. MikeTCTX

MikeTCTX New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Nice work on the comparo thread... the pics are very informative, and I have enjoyed reading. Thanks!

The sizes are comparable, but if you look at the overall shape and area of the muzzle end of the 238, it is MUCH larger than than that of the 3AT. In my humble opinion, the size of this area of the gun (along with the overall width of the top-line) is one of the key factors that makes a gun easy (or hard) to conceal for front pocket carry. The "chunkier" the muzzle end is, the more likely it is to print, even in a pocket holster. And if I am going to CC a .380, it's specifically because I want to carry it in my front pocket.

The price, while not a deal-breaker, does make it less attractive than other offerings in the same segment. I am sure it is a very nice pistol, I am just not sure the extra cost is justifiable (to me) for a daily-carry .380, considering the 3AT, LCP, and Bersa all ring in at ~$300 or less.

The safety recall is disappointing, IMO. I know that all manufacturers have their problems here and there, but when I pay extra for a name like SIG and the perceived quality implied by the higher price, I sort of expect the defects to be relatively minor ones - not ones that render the weapon unsafe to use and merit them issuing a directive to discontinue all use. Again, just my thoughts/opinions.