Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Commuter bikes!!!

4K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  herkyeng 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Pretty new here, so figured Id see if anyone else on the site is into biking... as in the bike you pedal, not just kick start :p

I use to downhill bike alot, but after breaking a collar bone and being out of work for an extended amount of time I decided there are less easy ways to hurt myself.
However; I still prefer to commute on my bikes and regularly choose to ride when ever Im not needing to take the truck for work.
So I just went and put a down payment on my new ride, a Kona Jake the Snake!

Gotta say Im pretty excited to actually have a road worthy bike now. This is the first "roadish" bike Ive ever had and it sure a welcomed respite from the heavy mtn bikes Im use to.

So who else here rides everyday? Just for fun?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah, youth...
When I was young I rode a lot. I know Georgia winters are not the stuff of legend, but I've commuted thru a couple of them. To get up and on your bike when it is a cold rainy day and start out up hill... It gives you a real understanding of weather and determination. I bought mountain bikes for the wife and I back in the early 90's, but they have not seen much service of late.
My brother is still a rider. Races on and off road, plans vacations round rides. Picks up a little extra $$ working in a freinds bike shop. Skinny guy. ::)

I hope you get some response from this post, biking is a good thing.

#3 ·
I may have mentioned on this forum I rode a bicycle a lot when I lived in Japan. Japanese drivers are very bike conscious and courteous and a bicycle is often the most efficient form of transportation eg, I could ride over and pick up my mail quicker on my bike than in my car.

Here in rural KY a bicycle on a lot of these roads would be downright suicidal.

#4 ·
in 1980, my dad and I both commuted 10 miles from east cobb county ga, to just inside fulton county (Atlanta). We crossed crossed the river on different bridges, but otherwise, versy similar commute. We both made those 10 miles in a half hour. He in a car, me on my bike.

#5 ·
Out here drivers are... less than bike friendly/aware.  You have to ride very defensively for that reason.  The city is starting to add bike lanes and paths which is nice though.

Most of what I do is within 3-4mi from the house so it really just takes minutes for me to go most places.  Makes it real nice in the summer when gas jumps to 5 dollars a gal ::) >:(

#6 ·
I really got into bikes sometime around 2004 when I bought a Giant Yukon (it's a mt. bike) and things progressed from there. I was in college at the time and saved about $20 a month buy commuting on my bike. That was some serious beer money so it was worth it. That is still the only bike I own and it's seen more use and abuse than a whore's mattress.

Your bike should be great for commuting and probably geared more favorably than your mt. bikes are. Unless you were not already aware, clipping in can get you killed in traffic. Stick with platforms and you will live longer.

BTW, that thing looks light as a feather. How much does it weigh?

#7 ·
torrent said:
I really got into bikes sometime around 2004 when I bought a Giant Yukon (it's a mt. bike) and things progressed from there.  I was in college at the time and saved about $20 a month buy commuting on my bike.  That was some serious beer money so it was worth it.  That is still the only bike I own and it's seen more use and abuse than a whore's mattress.  

Your bike should be great for commuting and probably geared more favorably than your mt. bikes are.  Unless you were not already aware, clipping in can get you killed in traffic.  Stick with platforms and you will live longer.  

BTW, that thing looks light as a feather.  How much does it weigh?
Weighs ~22-23lbs.  The Giant VT Ive been riding comes in around 35lbs... its a noticable differnce. Lol
And yes Im going to run platforms on it around town. Ill eventually pick up a set of clipins but I dont even have shoes yet so that will come later.

#9 ·

Pretty much every day road ride pictured above.

This gets me back and forth the the Pima Pistol Club range, which happens to be on a dirt road.  Imagine that.   ;D

#10 ·
torrent said:
I know the age old argument about the effeciecy of clipins but they about killed me three or four times on trails.  What's a VT?  Is it a softtail?
The VT was one of Giants bigger dual suspension XC bikes, I dont think its current production any more. Its far from a stock bike however- more of a quasi down hiller now.

Tucson, I like the idea of riding to the range. I believe to get to my local range would be a... 22ish mile ride. So might be somthing nice to do on a day off, but not really an afterwork ride. I guess I need to figure out a scabbard for my new bike, eh? Lol

#11 ·
mtnkid85 said:
Tucson, I like the idea of riding to the range.  I believe to get to my local range would be a... 22ish mile ride.  So might be somthing nice to do on a day off, but not really an afterwork ride.  I guess I need to figure out a scabbard for my new bike, eh?  Lol
Yep! The carrying challenge definitely limits range time for my AR-10.  Good luck with the scabbard!  I'll want a copy of your design of course. The ArmaLite looks so lonely in the safe.   ;D

Round trip for me is only about 19 miles.  It sure beats driving, big time!

And, I need the workout to help fight the fat.   ::)

http://pimapistolclub.com/Home.aspx

#12 ·
I have what I like to call my brick cruiser. I take older rigid chromoly mtn bikes and convert them into relatively upright road worthy bikes that can handle the 100 year old brick streets of downtown orlando. I enjoy wrenching on bikes almost as much as riding :D

Currently have a nice lightweight bike that is saddled with a heavy rack and baskets. Need to get working on my grocery hauler. I might play with the light one and see if I can get a more dropped road position. I could also use a tourer. Took that one on a 50 mile trip, but it didn't handle the weight as well as I would like.

#13 ·
Here's one of mine, an '85 Trek 500 that I rescued from a garage sale for $20. I swapped out the old wheels, put an 8 spd. cassette on it along with new bars and a seat I picked up at a LBS close out. I use this one mostly for rail trails and gravel roads.

[reason]display pic[/reason]

#15 ·
TucsonMTB said:
[quote author=jwash3rd link=1302372086/0#12 date=1303395116]'85 Trek 500 that I rescued from a garage sale for $20.
Well done!  Pound puppies usually have the best personalities and are the most most loyal.   ;D[/quote]

Yeah, the paint is beat up so it's not going to be a collector's item but surpisingly it's only a couple pounds heavier that my composite bike and a great rider. Too bad you can't find guns at garage sales. (Well, in my state anyway.)

#16 ·
Recycled (pun intended) from a P3AT thread...

I try to ride a few miles a couple times each week.  I'm not a hard core rider - purely a little exercise and stress relief.  I ride around my residential area or on a nearby asphalt bike trail that skirts along a creek for a few miles.  No lycra or spandex for me please - I wear cargo shorts and pocket carry.  Although it is well traveled and even partroled by city parks and recreastion LEOs, that bike path goes through some wooded areas and gets pretty secluded at times.  There I easily carry a P3AT.  On the streets around the house I often just take an NAA 22mag mini-revolver.

My bike is a hybrid, something of a cross between a mountain bike and street bike.

#17 ·
jwash3rd said:
Too bad you can't find guns at garage sales. (Well, in my state anyway.)
Here in the Tucson area, you can!  

At the first neighborhood garage sale I cruised past on my bicycle soon after we moved here in 2002, the home owner looked a little out of place wearing a cowboy style holster filled with a big shiny cowboy revolver.  I didn't inquire, but in retrospect, it was probably for sale along with the couch, the lamps, and the other standard garage sale junk.   :cool:

I love living in Arizona!  And, not just because of the great biking weather.  :D

#18 ·
One of my favorite things to do is bike around to garage sales. Haven't done it in a long while, nearly passed out from the heat once after starting late. I think i need to do a garage sale tour again. I'll ask if anyone has guns too, will be fun and definietly legal in florida.

When I do garage sales, I always ask. I'm always on the hunt for vinyl, and have been in situations where asking got me a good deal on something they left in the house.

#22 ·
torrent said:
. . . clipping in can get you killed in traffic.  Stick with platforms and you will live longer.
Gotta call "BS" on this one, sorry!  This seems to be a misconception mostly limited to inexperienced cyclists.  If you try them, I believe you will discover that modern pedal and cleat combinations release your foot with a slight twist that generally happens automatically when you suddenly need to put down a foot.

Usually, you will find that the increased stability keeping your foot on the pedal as you traverse bumps, railroad tracks, and other pavement or trail surface irregularities you encounter makes the bicycle easier to control.  Yeah, YMMV, but most experienced riders share my opinion.   ;)

#23 ·
mountain kid, you are a crazy man. downhilling? OMG.
i'm a bike nut too. i have 4 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes. I have clip in spds on all of them.if i'm not locked in my feet are wiggling around everywhere and coming off the pedals on bumps rocks and roots.
when i bought my carbon stump jumper i had to justify buying yet another bike. i told my wife "i couldn't afford an aluminum bike so i just bought a carbon fiber." Also have a trek, gary fischer, and intense.
I quit riding motorcycles years ago cause i couldn't behave myself, but the bad habits followed to the mountain bikes too. finally figured out 2 months of rehab every year was cutting in to my biking time so i'm trying to turn over a new leaf. I thought road biking might be safer, but not. These idiots will knock you off the road down here. one day i may fire back!!!

#24 ·
dougc541 said:
I thought road biking might be safer, but not. These idiots will knock you off the road down here. one day i may fire back!!!
Even the well meaning folks can be a hazard.  Last summer, an elderly lady had a stroke and veered into a group of 8 young guys who were out on a training ride.  After the impact, the largest piece of the carbon bike ridden by the kid who got hurt most seriously was about 8 inches long.  What we need is some bad looking dudes on Harley's to run interference.    ;)

Out on the trails, this old guy rides his Scalpel pretty conservatively, especially after my wife broke her collar bone and a tibia in the same fall a couple of years ago.  I don't bounce as well as I once did.   ::)

Haven't personally had any problems with aggressive drivers.  Arizona has a no permit required for concealed carry, sometimes referred to as "constitutional carry", law.  That bulge under my jersey is usually a .40 S&W Kahr and sometimes a 1911.  With so many people carrying, drivers are generally a little more polite.   ;D

#26 ·
TucsonMTB said:
[quote author=torrent link=1302372086/0#5 date=1302559453] . . . clipping in can get you killed in traffic.  Stick with platforms and you will live longer.
Gotta call "BS" on this one, sorry!  This seems to be a misconception mostly limited to inexperienced cyclists.  If you try them, I believe you will discover that modern pedal and cleat combinations release your foot with a slight twist that generally happens automatically when you suddenly need to put down a foot.

Usually, you will find that the increased stability keeping your foot on the pedal as you traverse bumps, railroad tracks, and other pavement or trail surface irregularities you encounter makes the bicycle easier to control.  Yeah, YMMV, but most experienced riders share my opinion.   ;) [/quote]
I'm going to have to say you are wrong here, not that your statemtent is wrong, but we are comparing apples to oranges. My above statement was made while thinking of riding a commuter bike through a city or on a college campus. Traffic congestion in those places causes slower driving speeds. Try picturing a 20-something in everyday clothes commuting between classes. An experienced cyclist doesn't want to change his shoes every hour or so just to ride his bike. I did it for five years...

And for the 6+ mph they will give you for extended distances they are absolutley the only way to go.
I agree completely. But that's not what I was talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.