Cold Gun

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by buckeyedave, Jan 12, 2010.

1. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hello

My question is concerning a cold gun. I have a P3AT that I use for my CC. Living up in the north( Cleve Oh) I have on many occassions the need to leave it in the car when I go out. ie: , work, restaurant/bar etc. Is it safe to fire when it is cold?. Will it damage it if I had to fire in a SD situation while the gun is cold?

Thanks, Dave

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    There was another thread a week or two ago where this same thing was brought up.

The opinion of the masses was that the cold shouldn't hurt nothing. Think of all the many things in your life made from composit or plastic that are in a freezer or in your car that are used in very cold situations.

I think it's safe.

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Can you, or someone else, give it a try somewhere and give the rest of us a report? I can see grease on the rails causing some problem if it gets stiff.

4. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I called directly to KT and they said it does not damage the gun to fire when it is cold.
    Dave

5. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

Having shot Kel-Tecs in cold weather in (Springfield OH) I can say the P3AT was not hurt. I'd lubricate it with a light teflon water displacing oil though (rem oil, Break Free CLP), as condensation from going in and out might cause some problems if it gets really cold.

Best Regards

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've shot mine in the cold many times. Living in the greater KC area means we get some harsh Winter temperatures. Our high last Friday was 1 above zero. I also use Tetra gun grease on mine with no issues.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I think this is a good question......

I would not worry about grease, material can have a very significant change in theIr properties with temp.  I would not shot a wood stock rifle below freezing.  walnut is more likely to crack.

metals, especially hard metals, have a property call ductile to brittle transition temperture.  a very strong steel at normal temp, becomes brittle in icey ocean water.

I know I have seen DBTT charts in my referance handbooks, but I can not find any thing good with google tonight.  I did find one chart that shows sae 4140, and it looks interesting.  a very quick brittle transition near 0 C

Besides asking if it is ok to shot a P3AT in the cold, the question that would mean the most would be "what is the DBTT for the barrel steel.

btw, polymers also have this trait

[​IMG]

8. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    You know, living in Cleveland myself i've been wondering this same thing every time i come home from work after my p3at has been in my car all day long.

9. Stojan

Stojan New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    I live in N.W. Indiana right at the tip of Lake Michigan where it gets really cold, and my p3at stays in my truck at all times if it's not on me. I went to the range 3 days ago, and shot 100 rounds through the p3at without a problem. I used Militec oil(heated it with a hairdryer) and grease when I set up the gun, and clean with Hoppes 9 and a little RemOil and Militec grease after it's clean.

Regards,
    Stojan

10. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I beg to differ.

Walnut, or any other gunstock wood, is not any more likely to crack in below freezing, or even sub-zero temperature, then any other temperature.

A properly air or kiln dried & finished walnut stock is about as inert a material as there is in freezing temperatures.

We fought the revolutionary war, and WWII & Korea in below zero weather with walnut stocked muskets, or M1 Garands & M1 Carbines.

And the Russians didn't have any problems with birch stocked Mossy's in severe winter weather either.

Splitting firewood with an ax in freezing temperature is a whole different deal, because it is still full of sap inside, and frozen solid.

rc

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I guess I should have added, the walnut stocks that I paid too much for, I do not shot :-[

However, I was really hoping you could add some more about the ductile brittle transition of 4130... I could only find that one chart on line and I lost my Mark's Handbook years ago. common sense says battle rifles see much colder conditions and is there problems, I don't know that one

12. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    You got me.
    I have never heard of a gun barrel blowing up because it got too cold.

For that matter, I never had a car door break off the henges in -20 degree weather either. But maybe they do?

As for the chart?
    I know next to nothing about impact energy and how it relates to temperature.

But I think a 4140 barrel stays plenty strong way colder then anyone would be able to be out shooting it!

rc

13. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I've seen 100 yr old long-guns fired in -30F weather. I wouldn't be worried about these pistols.

14. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Yes, but would one fire in Florida right now - it's cold here! :)

15. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Yes, but would one fire in Florida right now - it's cold here!  :)[/quote]

If it gets down that low here...I'm gone...not gonna stick around long enough to find out.

:D

16. Bubbaman

Bubbaman New Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Cold or hot, mine has been perfect! Most newer firearms are manufactured to withstand extremes. You wouldn't want to go bear hunting with a rifle that can only be fired in 70 degree weather!

17. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Heck some people pay big bucks to get their guns cold :D
    [​IMG]

18. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have shot my P3AT and SUB2000 in 5 degree weather last year! They worked ok with no damage! I live in NW Ohio myself.

Craig